Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Older tablet - iPad Mini 2 or iPad Air 1 for P3?
1030 15 2016-8-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RSV_Ecosse
lvl.1
Flight distance : 133520 ft
United Kingdom

[size=14.6667px]Looking at picking up either an iPad Mini 2 or an iPad Air 1 to use with my P3S. What are owners opinions on these as I'm hearing folk on some FB pages tell me that the latest versions of DJI Go are laggy running on the Mini 2? Not sure about the Air. I think it would be ok, weight and size wise as I use an Inspire 1 alloy mount at the moment anyway.

[size=14.6667px]Either of them I think will need to be cellular versions in order to have GPS present, am I right? For map coverage and IOC modes, Follow Me only works with cellular I believe?

[size=14.6667px]Any opinions welcome. Please no 'Get an iPad Mini 4, its the best' replies as I'm only looking at a £200 GBP budget so it'll be a pre-owned tablet I am after. [size=14.6667px]

[size=14.6667px]Many thanks for any input!!

[size=14.6667px]**Oh and curveball option could be an Nvidia Shield K1, hearing good things about those too!!??

2016-8-24
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Whichever you use you will need a mount to hold the larger Mini or Air.
You should be fine with the Mini.
Save some money and don't get cellular if your on a budget. You can use your cell phone as a hotspot when you get to your flying area to cache the map data or just cache it at home on WiFi before your flight.
From the IOC functions the only thing you cannot get without cellular is Follow Me and if you don't use it then there's no reason for cellular.
I used to us the Shield K and for the $200 is cost, it was very good.
2016-8-24
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

My Mini2 16 works fine.  No problem with stock mount.
2016-8-24
Use props
TechReviews
lvl.3
Flight distance : 99852 ft
United Kingdom

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2016-8-24 22:26
My Mini2 16 works fine.  No problem with stock mount.

same here,ipad mini 2 wifi/cellular 64gb works fine
2016-8-24
Use props
imagesbyjas
lvl.4
Flight distance : 286198 ft

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-8-25 05:21
Whichever you use you will need a mount to hold the larger Mini or Air.
You should be fine with the  ...

iPad Mini II (with Cellular but not on a service plan) works great...

Ken, not sure I'm following you on the "Follow Me" (no pun intended).  My iPad Mini II is wireless and cellular, so I usually cache the map at home, but cellular isn't active and Follow Me works fine on my P3P..
2016-8-24
Use props
endotherm
Second Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

imagesbyjas Posted at 2016-8-25 10:34

Ken, not sure I'm following ...

Only the cellular models have the GPS hardware installed (I believe it is part of the cellular telephone chipset/circuit board that is added to a "basic" ipad).  There is no GPS hardware in wifi-only models.  Even though "cellular" is off, your GPS hardware is still functioning and therefore follow-me works for you.
2016-8-25
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

imagesbyjas Posted at 2016-8-25 08:34

Ken, not sure I'm following ...

The non-cellular version does not have a GPS so if you need Follow Me then you need a cellular version as it has a GPS.
BUT, a few others have said that they connected a external Bluetooth GPS and were successful with Follow Me on a non-cellular iPad. I have not tried so I cannot confirm. If you did try this you would need a decent GPS that has a fast refresh rate.
2016-8-25
Use props
imagesbyjas
lvl.4

endotherm Posted at 2016-8-25 18:12
Only the cellular models have the GPS hardware installed (I believe it is part of the cellular tel ...

Thanks for the reply and that was my understanding.  The fact that it is "Cellular enabled" allows it to find itself on maps (most of the time) and "Follow Me" worked fine.
2016-8-25
Use props
imagesbyjas
lvl.4

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-8-25 22:28
The non-cellular version does not have a GPS so if you need Follow Me then you need a cellular vers ...

Ken,

Thanks.. Haven't seen an external Bluetooth GPS but may be worth looking into for those times when the Cellular part can't pick up the location.  I don't have hot spot on my iPhone..
2016-8-25
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

imagesbyjas Posted at 2016-8-26 03:18
Ken,

Thanks.. Haven't seen an external Bluetooth GPS but may be worth looking into for those time ...

I used to use this one in the airplane connected to my iPad and it works great. I never tried it with the Go app.
https://www.amazon.com/Dual-Elec ... tiveASIN=B006M49G80
2016-8-25
Use props
imagesbyjas
lvl.4

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-8-26 03:39
I used to use this one in the airplane connected to my iPad and it works great. I never tried it w ...

Ken,

Thanks..  Any word back yet on fight records (he said with a grin).  :-)
2016-8-25
Use props
Bilzc10
lvl.3
Flight distance : 351575 ft
United States

i use an ipad air, works great and i love the big screen, although i doubt itll fit on the p3s remote, it just barely fits on my P3A remote.
2016-8-25
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

imagesbyjas Posted at 2016-8-26 07:08
Ken,

Thanks..  Any word back yet on fight records (he said with a grin).  :-)

No, sorry about that. It may take some time.
2016-8-25
Use props
endotherm
Second Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

imagesbyjas Posted at 2016-8-26 05:18
Ken,

Thanks.. Haven't seen an external Bluetooth GPS but may be worth looking into for those time ...

I regularly use an external bluetooth device for GPS with a wifi-only ipad mini 3.  Have a read here.
2016-8-25
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

imagesbyjas Posted at 2016-8-26 05:18
Ken,

'Haven't seen an external Bluetooth GPS but may be worth looking into for those times when the Cellular part can't pick up the location.'

Just to clear up a point here, the cellular network has nothing to do with GPS. GPS is a completely different recever network, its only connection with cellular is that some phones use a combination of GPS reception and cellular network to obtain a faster first positional fix. In Apple devices though, only cellular enabnled devices have a GPS receiver fitted.
With regard to external GPS devices, look at the Garmin: https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/ ... SDATAOUT_01-p1.html

2016-8-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules