Newbie crash upon 2nd flight
1558 26 2016-8-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Blackbeagle
lvl.3
Flight distance : 56 ft
United States

I have a brand new P3A. My first flight was simply a test. I put it on my deck, hover it up 3-4 feet, let it hover, then land. Easy. Yesterday it was a little windy....not much, but a slight breeze. I had it on the deck again. But when I turned on the Props, the thing just shot into the air. It scared my daughter and my wife who were watching. The thing caught the tip of the deck umbrella and tipped over. Two of the props were scratched. The top of the drone has a big black scratch from the umbrella. I had to grab the landing gear and shut off the drone. WTF happened? I had it on P mode, but I never touched the remote. Again, I just started it up. Did I have it in the wrong mode? How is it that it would go up on its own like that?

I also noticed that a few days ago, my remote was updated properly. Today, it's back at 1.1.15 (or something like that). What happened?
2016-8-26
Use props
rreindl
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6491926 ft
United States

After your started the Drone did you touch any of the sticks and if so which ones?

Also I would say sync your flight records so that DJI can inspect it.
2016-8-26
Use props
Blackbeagle
lvl.3
United States

rreindl Posted at 2016-8-26 23:46
After your started the Drone did you touch any of the sticks and if so which ones?

Also I would sa ...

I started the rotors and was back at center position on the stick when it shot up in the air, until it hit my deck umbrella and went sideways and crashed.

My first flight, I did the same. I just started the rotors, then I gently pushed up until it rose to 3 feet and let go of the sticks and it hovered.

This time it went up by itself. I couldn't figure it out and was freaked out by it. It went up quick.
2016-8-26
Use props
UCLABruins
lvl.2
Flight distance : 488904 ft

United States

Contact DJI Support so that they can look at the logs to determine if it's pilot error or not. There's not enough information to go on at this time.
2016-8-26
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

I'm sorry for your mishap.
If you provide your login email and the flight date I can look at the flight.
Your RC should be at 1.6, if you power everything up then go to the About page and post a screenshot that would be great.
Also, since you had two prop strikes, I would discard those props.
2016-8-26
Use props
rreindl
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6491926 ft
United States

Blackbeagle Posted at 2016-8-27 00:37
I started the rotors and was back at center position on the stick when it shot up in the air, unti ...

Still sync your logs but my guess is you may have hit the auto take off button on your mobile devices screen by mistake.
2016-8-26
Use props
Blackbeagle
lvl.3
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-8-27 01:19
I'm sorry for your mishap.
If you provide your login email and the flight date I can look at the fli ...

email is obelix99@charter.net. It was yesterday about 745-800p central time?
2016-8-26
Use props
Blackbeagle
lvl.3
United States

rreindl Posted at 2016-8-27 01:39
Still sync your logs but my guess is you may have hit the auto take off button on your mobile devi ...

I never touched my phone. I normally don't. Only using the remote controller.
2016-8-26
Use props
Blackbeagle
lvl.3
United States

Blackbeagle Posted at 2016-8-27 02:07
email is . It was yesterday about 745-800p central time?

Ken...did you look at the log files? I saw it, but I can't make any sense out of it. THX
2016-8-26
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Blackbeagle Posted at 2016-8-27 02:57
Ken...did you look at the log files? I saw it, but I can't make any sense out of it. THX

No I have not yet but I will.
You can see pretty much the same as I can, tap the RC icon and that will bring up your stick movements and you can see if your stick input had anything to do with it.
2016-8-26
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Blackbeagle Posted at 2016-8-27 02:57

It's saying there's no records on the server.
Did you use the cloud icon and sync the flight records?
2016-8-26
Use props
Blackbeagle
lvl.3
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-8-27 04:22
It's saying there's no records on the server.
Did you use the cloud icon and sync the flight recor ...

How about now? I just sync.
2016-8-26
Use props
short023
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2457 ft
United States

I would do a controller calibration...
2016-8-26
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

short023 Posted at 2016-8-27 05:56
I would do a controller calibration...

RC calibration wouldn't hurt but I don't think that's what caused it.
Side note, can you please change your avatar, there are no DJI logos allowed for users.
Thanks
2016-8-26
Use props
short023
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2457 ft
United States

Ok.. Did Not Know About Logo.
2016-8-26
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

short023 Posted at 2016-8-27 06:27
Ok.. Did Not Know About Logo.

No problem at all, thanks.
2016-8-26
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Blackbeagle Posted at 2016-8-27 05:33
How about now? I just sync.

It says success now not I do not see any records. I'm off site today so I will have to check on another device when I get back into the office Monday.
2016-8-26
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

rreindl Posted at 2016-8-27 03:39
Still sync your logs but my guess is you may have hit the auto take off button on your mobile devi ...

Auto takeoff doesn't shoot up high in the air.
2016-8-26
Use props
Flight Raptor
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3014675 ft
  • >>>
United States

rreindl Posted at 2016-8-26 13:39

This is my gut feeling too.  There is an auto take off that will start the motors and then have the quadcopter rise to about 4ft and hover waiting for your next command.  I personally use only this method to start my quadcopter as I like that it starts the motors and rises right away to a hovering "I'm ready" position.

However, if you aren't aware of this feature, it can scare the heck out of you by seeming to 'rise by itself'
2016-8-27
Use props
Flight Raptor
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3014675 ft
  • >>>
United States

Blackbeagle Posted at 2016-8-26 14:08
I never touched my phone. I normally don't. Only using the remote controller.

If this is indeed the case....I'm stumped!
2016-8-27
Use props
Blackbeagle
lvl.3
United States

Well I did something super stupid and I hope noobies can learn from my mistake. My backyard is full of trees. We also have a pretty big deck. So before I go on vacation, I wanted to fly one last time. So I had it over up and moved forward, well, It was moving towards a big tree so I turned right. Well, as most would know, this thing doesn't turn on a dime. It has to finish 'floating'. Well it clipped the tree and amazing enough, didn't crash. I now have some leaves that are properly trimmed. But then it headed towards my deck railings. I panicked and released the sticks. But it 'floated' right into the railings and down it went.

So I looked at it and saw the blades were all scratched up. The camera gimbal is off the mount on one side. It looks like the cable is disconnected too. I hope it's an easy repair. I learned my lesson. GIVE YOURSELF A LOT OF ROOM.
2016-9-8
Use props
roymoon
lvl.3
Flight distance : 143901 ft
United States

"GIVE YOURSELF A LOT OF ROOM."
And just think one of our members was going to use his inside other people houses for real estate purposes.
Sorry about your Picasso mam.
2016-9-8
Use props
Blackbeagle
lvl.3
United States

After I crashed it, I put it away and went on vacation. Well I got back and looked at the thing last night. It looks like, on the gimbal, there's only TWO of those clear plastic mounts. Is that correct? Should I put in all 4? Two were missing, I have two new replacement in the bag. Not sure if it came with four and I lost two during the crash or only had two.
2016-9-9
Use props
roger.crawford
lvl.3
Flight distance : 41568 ft
United States

Just having two - on opposite corners is correct. Two spares should have come in the box also in a small silver bag.
2016-9-9
Use props
Not A Speck Of
lvl.4
Flight distance : 666493 ft
United States

roymoon Posted at 2016-9-9 09:16
"GIVE YOURSELF A LOT OF ROOM."
And just think one of our members was going to use his inside other p ...

"But that's a priceless Picasso!"
"Not anymore!"

2016-9-9
Use props
Blackbeagle
lvl.3
United States

I've seen some have two and then with the other two, use small white zip ties. Is this  really necessary?
2016-9-9
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Blackbeagle Posted at 2016-9-10 05:46
I've seen some have two and then with the other two, use small white zip ties. Is this  really neces ...

The gimbal is meant for only 2 of those pins. If you use 4 you'll probably get jello in your footage.
Your box has 2 spares in it, use those and if those are lost you can purchase the pins online.
The zip ties in the other two dampeners is to help if you have a crash and not to lose the camera. I don't know how well that works.
What I do is use fishing line and loosely make several looks around the top and bottom inside the dampeners and around the gimbal. If there ever was a crash as lest the camera will stay on.
2016-9-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules