Odd behavior after crash, yellow lights, ESC error and compass...
1765 10 2016-8-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
stevenmcastano
New
Flight distance : 79843 ft
United States

I was out flying the other day filming from friends and I got a little too close to a sign post. I clipped one of the props on it, it snapped off and the Inspire 1 went down upside down, the battery popped out and everything else seemed fine.

Once I picked it back up, replaced the prop and put the battery back in I couldn't start flying again. It powered up, camera gimble set itself, everything seemed like it was fine, but when try to take off I can an "ESC error, contact DJI support if this continues" type message. I power cycled it a few times and it pretty much does the same thing every time. I also noticed, now the lights on the landing gear on the right side light up yellow, on the left side they don't light up at all.

I checked the IMU, it said it was fine and didn't need calibration, but I did one anyway, that seemed to go fine as well, but it didn't resolve the ESC error.

In addition to that... in the DJI Go app on my iPhone the status bar bounces/flashed very quickly between "ready to fly" and "compass needs calibration", but the compass calibration fails. I am indoors now trying the compass calibration so there surely might be interference there, I'll that again outside... but I've just never seen that before.

So any idea on the yellow lights vs. no lights? Are ESCs bad on one side? Should I be replacing some motors and ESCs? Is there any type of self test/reset?

Basically, I'd love to avoide having to send in the drone and not have it for the next 2 months if I can do these repairs myself.
2016-8-29
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

One of the motors is damaged or it may just be the speed control damaged  on one of the motors , I would ground that bird for sure and send it in.

donnie
2016-8-29
Use props
stevenmcastano
New
United States

Donnie Posted at 2016-8-29 12:55
One of the motors is damaged or it may just be the speed control damaged  on one of the motors , I w ...

Oh it's already grounded for sure... I can't get it to take off anyway. I see motor and ESC assemblies for sale online, I was just wonder if that's an ok thing to fix myself. I mean, taking it apart and putting the new motor and ESC looks easy enough, I'm just looking for advice on if it should be done or if there are extra other things that need to be done with it that can only be done by DJI or something?
2016-8-29
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

stevenmcastano Posted at 2016-8-30 01:37
Oh it's already grounded for sure... I can't get it to take off anyway. I see motor and ESC assemb ...

I would recommend contacting the North American Support Center in order to keep the warranty in tact. They can be contacted via support.us@dji.com or at 818-235-0789.
2016-8-29
Use props
stevenmcastano
New
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-8-29 16:25
I would recommend contacting the North American Support Center in order to keep the warranty in ta ...

Solid advice... I'd really like to NOT void the warranty, I'm giving them a call right now. We'll see how this goes....
2016-8-29
Use props
stevenmcastano
New
United States

stevenmcastano Posted at 2016-8-29 18:34
Solid advice... I'd really like to NOT void the warranty, I'm giving them a call right now. We'll  ...

That wasn't really too much help... they can't tell me what the yellow lights mean, whether the 2 arms lighting up yellow are the broken ones, or the two arms without lights on them are the broken ones, no estimate on what the charge would be to fix a motor in the service center and no advice on if the motors are or are not covered by warranty.

They basically just want me to screen shot the error in the app and send it in.

I just don't want to sent the drone in, have it be gone for a month if not more, then pay some unknown amount to replace a motor and esc unit when it looks like the motor and esc units can be bought online for abot $110 each and I can have them here in 2 days.

Anyone have experiance with this type of error/repair??
2016-8-29
Use props
Farnk666
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

The Inspire isn't a great platform/design for DIY work, but of course the call is up to you.
There is not a lot of detailed knowledge out there as far as repair and maintenance is concerned.
A few people are doing their own work and parting out A/C, but it's a bit of a lottery.

I understand that you are not keen, but were it my own bird, I'd just send it in. The crash has clearly upset some of the A/C systems and this is probably more than just a motor / ESC issue.
2016-8-29
Use props
thomasfischetti
New

United States

Has there been any progress on the repair? Im having the same issue with my led light on the leg and esc error on screen! Was it just that one esc on the yellow leg?
2016-9-22
Use props
Machoman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1036959 ft
Austria

stevenmcastano Posted at 2016-8-30 00:58
That wasn't really too much help... they can't tell me what the yellow lights mean, whether the 2  ...

Are you 100% sure motors and legs are in correct position? If they are not it will give you a yellow blinking ESC error but it will disappear when you adjust and fix them.
2016-9-22
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

thomasfischetti Posted at 2016-9-23 00:46
Has there been any progress on the repair? Im having the same issue with my led light on the leg and ...

Have you already contacted support.us@dji.com about this issue?
2016-9-22
Use props
thomasfischetti
New

Machoman Posted at 2016-9-23 01:22
Are you 100% sure motors and legs are in correct position? If they are not it will give you a yell ...

do you mean like bolted in properly?
2016-9-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules