Maiden Flight
808 6 2015-1-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
InspiredOne
lvl.3

United States

Took the Inspire 1 out this morning to a nearby park (very roomy!) for the first flight. It's a perfect day, clear, bit of a chill (for Miami) and the air was dead calm.

The props went on without a hitch and snugged up nicely (and there was no gap between the prop hub's base and the top of the motor).

Check all the settings (IMU especially!), set up the compass and started her up. Let her idle for a couple of minutes--she really purrs, albeit a high-pitched one. Intended to do a auto takeoff, but felt I could do a manual one. Eased the stick forward. The sudden RPM increase was a bit of a surprise (she hadn't lifted off yet), so I backed off for a second and tried again--even more slowly. The motor revved and I applied a little more pressure and she lifted off very smoothly. WOW, what a rush!

Got up to 10 feet and let her hoover for a couple of minutes and studied the readout on my phone (too small). There's a lot going through your mind at this time--the first time.

After a couple of minutes, I tried the basic moves--forward, backward, turn left, turn right, up, down, slip left, and slip right (if that's the proper term) all done very slowly and no more than 10 feet in any direction. Never went higher than 30 feet, never went further from home than 60 feet.

I landed manually, again with very slow small moves (I think this is the key as the controls are very soft). The landing was as gentle as anyone could want.

Turned off the motors and let her (and me) rest of a minute or two. Fired her up and it did all over again.

This time I tried an auto landing. I had forgotten that it would go up to 60 feet before returning home. That startled me for a second or two, but she came home and appeared to be not exactly on target (is that to be expected?). I gently nudged her to the left and landed within inches of the takeoff spot.

It was nothing fancy, to be certain, but for the first try I was well pleased. More importantly, there were no sudden unexpected moves and no damage. I couldn't have asked for a better first flight.

Too all those who have been so helpful and so encouraging, I thank you!

Thanks, too, to DJI for building such a sweet little bird!
2015-1-29
Use props
dennis.aerialpe
lvl.3
United States

InspiredOne this is so good to hear, I am taking my maiden flight today !!!
2015-1-29
Use props
InspiredOne
lvl.3

United States

Dennis, I hope your first flight is as good for you as mine was for me!
2015-1-29
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ataboy! Nice and easy to get use to it. Good job. On the being off Target when Landing there is a GPS margin of error with any GPS, except the ones that have the Radio correction feature which does a Triangulation using two or more signals. Without that you have a 3-4 foot error. Could be more depending on how many Satellites the Quad is seeing.
2015-1-29
Use props
UM305
lvl.3

United States

Wow...Nice
Congrats!  Felicidades
2015-1-29
Use props
FrostyThe2nd
lvl.2

United States

Great! Another pleased Inspire pilot. Check
2015-1-29
Use props
Captain Obvious
lvl.4

Australia

Wicked! It took me ages too find out just how to get the motors going lol...Both sticks Diagonally in towards bottom of control.
Now i cant wait to do what you have done Fly this bird
2015-1-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules