Unable to take off in Disney World Florida
3663 22 2016-8-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ronnyjb
New

United States

I was recently at Disney World Fl. and tried to start my P3 outside my room at the Dusney Yacht Club Resort but got a message on my iPad that I was in a no-fly zone and the motors would not start.  I moved the P3 to about 50-75' from the hotel and was able to start the motors but it would not take off.  When I tried to take off the motors only reved but the P3 remained on the ground.  Has anyone experienced this or does anyone know why this happens?
2016-8-30
Use props
mrwalleyeman1
lvl.2
Flight distance : 27995 ft

It's because you are in a NO FLY ZONE. You said your IPad gave you a message of that.
2016-8-30
Use props
dak162
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2999472 ft
  • >>>
United States

Disney World is a no-fly zone, they have said that drones are not even allowed on their property and manned aircraft can't even fly over. They have even mentioned of banning individuals caught flying drones.

The link shows the TFR for Disney world. The TFR has and end date of "Permanent".

No Fly Zone over Disney
2016-8-30
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

mrwalleyeman1 Posted at 2016-8-30 20:37
It's because you are in a NO FLY ZONE. You said your IPad gave you a message of that.

2016-8-30
Use props
mjlstudios
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1540131 ft
  • >>>
United States

There are apps you can download to your mobile device that will show you if an area you wish to fly in is a NFZ. You can find out before you carry your phantom to a highly populated amusement park and resort area in which the FAA has tuff regulations about flying over anyway and save yourself the trouble when the GO app says that you are in a NFZ and that moving it a few feet won't help you out a bit.
2016-8-30
Use props
Blackbeagle
lvl.3
Flight distance : 56 ft
United States

mjlstudios Posted at 2016-8-30 21:47
There are apps you can download to your mobile device that will show you if an area you wish to fly  ...

Flying near Disney World? You might as well try to fly over the Pentagon. I would assumed it's super strict on airspace.
2016-8-30
Use props
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

I knew it!!!

Disney must be just a screen for a top secret operation taking place there!  

I always thought Space Mountain must be the place they keep all the alliens and their space crafts.

I would not even want to imagine what they keep underground??? Maybe all the equipment they moved from area 56?
2016-8-30
Use props
ronnyjb
New

United States

Thank you to all who have replied.  I understand it is a no fly zone but what confused me is that the motors would not even start until I moved the drone 50' from the building.  Then the motors did start but no take off.  My question is that is there some technology in no fly zones that keeps the motors in neutral?
2016-8-30
Use props
mikelt006
lvl.3
Flight distance : 336880 ft
Israel

It's program wise:
When in restricted zone>motors turn off or motors on disabled.
2016-8-30
Use props
ronnyjb
New

United States

mjlstudios Posted at 2016-8-30 21:47
There are apps you can download to your mobile device that will show you if an area you wish to fly  ...

Yes thank you for that.  I was not planning on flying the P3 in the park.  There is a very low populated area near the Disney Yacht Club resort and the Boardwalk that I just wanted to take some aerial views of my family and I with the Epcot Globe in the background.  I do believe only an idiot would attempt to fly a drone in the park and I am  not an idiot.
2016-8-30
Use props
Divergenttravel
lvl.1
United States

I think you should have done research before you tried to fly, just don't think you can fly everywhere.... this is what gives drone users bad names.
However
I've had the same issue on a remote island in Mexico. I was in middle of nowhere Mexico and the island was in the nofly zone (or so it told me on the Ipad). If i wanted to fly i would have to go online to get a posscode to fly. I said ok no worries and i did not fly. On all maps it shows it as a ok to fly zone not a nofly zone. I was itching my head but it's good they are taking steps like this.
Do a simple google search before traveling and flying.
2016-8-30
Use props
dak162
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

ronnyjb Posted at 2016-8-30 12:42
Yes thank you for that.  I was not planning on flying the P3 in the park.  There is a very low pop ...

If you take a look at the Temporary Flight Restriction (TFR) I posted above, you will note that:

1. It is permanent, with no end date
2. it encompasses all of Disney World
2016-8-30
Use props
wmichaels1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 694728 ft
  • >>>
United States

MD_Icarus Posted at 2016-8-30 09:59
I knew it!!!

Disney has stricter secrecy standards than the US government, unfortunately.
2016-8-30
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

ronnyjb Posted at 2016-8-31 00:42
Yes thank you for that.  I was not planning on flying the P3 in the park.  There is a very low pop ...

When you tried outside your room you were in the center of the NFZ and when you were outside of the hotel  you were probably just on the borderline.
You can enable GEO and see in the map exactly where the zone perimeter is if you are still there.
2016-8-30
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

wmichaels1 Posted at 2016-8-30 20:16
Disney has stricter secrecy standards than the US government, unfortunately.

"Disney has stricter secrecy standards than the US government, unfortunately."

Yes, it seems strange to an outsider that Mickey, Donald & Pluto carry as much weight as the President.
2016-8-30
Use props
roymoon
lvl.3
Flight distance : 143901 ft
United States

Would the Litchi app allow you /anyone to fly in NFZ's??
2016-8-30
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

roymoon Posted at 2016-8-31 11:40

No, the restriction is built into the aircraft, not the app.
2016-8-30
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

On the other hand, as you move away from Disney to fly, the chances of getting shotgun blasted out of the sky go up.

I'm quite sure that Disney can afford the latest drone disableing high tech.    You probably wouldn't get far even if there were no restrictions.
2016-8-30
Use props
lancegriggs
lvl.3
Flight distance : 448327 ft
United States

No fly means no fly.
2016-8-30
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

MD_Icarus Posted at 2016-8-30 08:59
I knew it!!!

It's a well known trivia fact, that Walt Disney and rocket genius Oppenheimer were good friends. ;-)
Anyway, here's an interesting bit of Disney history...

Get out the Redenbocker popcorn... Haha

RedHotPoker
2016-8-30
Use props
dak162
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

roymoon Posted at 2016-8-30 21:40

The FAA has issued a no fly zone in this area for any aircraft. I expect Disney will find you if you fly a drone on their property and if prosecuted you could be fined and lose your aircraft.

It is irrelevant that the hardware prevents it. It is blatant that the law prevents it.

2016-8-31
Use props
fansf00ed097
lvl.2
Flight distance : 131604 ft
Canada

FCC is allowing Disney-owned drones to fly over their properties.

Here is a preview for the holidays.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1Mttb2vwQ4

I wonder what flight controller they are using.

2016-11-16
Use props
WilliamM
Second Officer
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

fansf00ed097 Posted at 2016-11-16 16:12
FCC is allowing Disney-owned drones to fly over their properties.

Here is a preview for the holida ...

It's DJI that has this as part of the FW, it's not in all drones.
2016-11-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules