3064 10 2016-8-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HFI
lvl.4
Flight distance : 904990 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have a "Battery Cell Damage" TB47 which is over 6 months old and wanted a vote on what should be done next.
Single SelectVote, Total 3 people participate in voting

Voting has ended

0.00% (0)
66.67% (2)
0.00% (0)
0.00% (0)
33.33% (1)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2016-8-30
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

sorry the choices are such that I had to pick #2.  Based on the investment of the Inspire 1 the batteries are a considered an consumable item that can be replaced. I hope that I get more life on my batteries but sometimes it does not always happen that way. I had to dispose of one that had only 25 cycles on it.

Rich
2016-8-30
Use props
japoyiii
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1107776 ft

I keep flying my TB47 with damaged cell, 15minutes flight time and 101 cycle charges.
2016-8-30
Use props
Farnk666
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

I'd suggest you safely dispose of it and buy a new one.
Batteries are consumable items and do not last.

Mucking around with a worn / faulty one only adds risk of failure (or worse) to your flight operations.  
Probably not the feedback you are after, but would you put worn brake pads back on your car?
2016-8-30
Use props
Cabralkev
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1997861 ft
Canada

It honestly all depends. I had a cell broken error last month while I was far out. The DJI app went nuts and literally closed itself then rebooted. So I was literally concerned as I was flying back home. Checked battery history, and noticed it appeared there as 'cell broken'. I asked around and some people have said to scrap it. Some also said how many cycles are you in and have you deep cycled? I deep cycled at 26 charges I believe, and when this error occurred, I was at 40 charges. So I said what the hell, let me fly over some grass and run the battery down to v3.3 and land. Waited for it to shut itself off and then I charged it full after the battery cooled down. Ever since then, that error never came back. Voltages for each cell are balanced. Sitting idle, the cells would show 4.13 and 4.12 as the battery drains. 0.01 difference. In conclusion, I honestly believe the DJI Go app does send out false readings. Instead of cell broken, it could of told me it's time to deep cycle. 50 charges in, no issues to report. If this error is constant and even a deep cycle won't fix it, then it's time to toss it out.
2016-8-30
Use props
HFI
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Cabralkev Posted at 2016-8-31 14:43
It honestly all depends. I had a cell broken error last month while I was far out. The DJI app went  ...

Thanks for the feedback. I've deep cycled twice but I'm still getting the error so I think it might be time for Lipo heaven for the thing
2016-8-31
Use props
HFI
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Farnk666 Posted at 2016-8-31 11:16
I'd suggest you safely dispose of it and buy a new one.
Batteries are consumable items and do not l ...

I get where your coming from but the TB47 only had 26 cycles on it and these lipos are sold as "Intelligent" meaning they should self drain to 50% or so when not used for a while but instead mine drained to 0% and therefor damaged the cells.

So its a little like leaving the car in the garage during the winter and then finding out the brake pads have worn themselves out come spring
2016-8-31
Use props
Farnk666
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

HFI Posted at 2016-8-31 21:03
I get where your coming from but the TB47 only had 26 cycles on it and these lipos are sold as "In ...

Forget the marketing - the reality here is that these batteries need more active management and care than plain old LiPo packs. A quick search here and elsewhere will find dozens of cases of Inspire batteries failing in flight with capacity dropping from 70-80% to single digits in seconds.

DJI pointed to firmware issues back then and has had many, many attempts at resolving the issue. Are they perfect? No. Are they manageable? Yes.

The app has been known to give a few false positives from time to time with battery errors, but if the issue is consistent, why risk thousands of dollars over a battery that will cost a few hundred to replace?

This hobby/profession is expensive in terms of equipment, no getting away from that.
2016-8-31
Use props
HFI
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Farnk666 Posted at 2016-9-1 07:20
Forget the marketing - the reality here is that these batteries need more active management and ca ...

Point taken
2016-8-31
Use props
Rinzler
lvl.3

United States

sell it to me for cheap.
2016-8-31
Use props
Cabralkev
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1997861 ft
Canada

That's odd. If the battery isn't discharging to 50% at x amount of days you set. Then clearly there is something wrong with the management system on the board. If a fully deep discharge doesn't resolve the issue, then the battery is scrap. It's a shame to have 26 charges and it fails to even discharge to 50% on it's own. I have mine set to 2 days for it to start discharging down to 50%. After I read your post, I literally went to check my battery and see if they all went down to 0% . All show 50%. I knew I wasn't going to fly for a full week, so I like storing them at 50% to be safe Some say there is no point, but ah well, these batteries aren't cheap.

One thing is for sure, these batteries are trash. For what we pay, you'd expect it to perform excellent. DJI needs to honestly focus on manufacturing a better rated battery for the Inspire line. Forget about pushing out the next Inspire. We need better batteries as well.
2016-8-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules