Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Osmo Pro X5 Won't Auto Focus
5499 4 2016-8-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
maurymcc
lvl.1
Flight distance : 37949 ft

Hello all

Just received my Osmo Pro X5 and I'm getting great results -- but the problem is that the camera won't auto focus unless I tap the iPhone screen to refocus the image.

I have calibrated the lens for this iPhone, and I get great "infinity" shots. However, when I sweep from a distance shot, say 25 feet, to a subject only about 4 feet away, I have to tap the screen to reset focus. THEN, when I sweep back out, the distance is now blurry.

Also, if I focus on a very close object, say, 1 foot, when I sweep away, everything stays blurry until I tap the screen to refocus.

It was my understanding that the X5 would auto focus as it was moved. Is this not correct?

Thanks,
Maury
2016-8-31
Use props
jcap858
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1949820 ft
  • >>>
United States

You're talking about continuous focus. The X5 has auto focus where you tap on an area and then the camera focuses. But if you move and the object you were tracking changes in distance then you will be out of focus.
2016-8-31
Use props
maurymcc
lvl.1
Flight distance : 37949 ft
United States

jcap858 Posted at 2016-8-31 16:17
You're talking about continuous focus. The X5 has auto focus where you tap on an area and then the c ...

Yep, I am. Good grief, buyer's remorse. I love everything about the OSMO PRO setup *except* that it won't continuously focus. I didn't read/see that as I studied for purchase. Ugh. I would return it if I didn't have to destroy the boxes to get all the parts out...
2016-9-1
Use props
jcap858
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1949820 ft
  • >>>
United States

That's one of the many features that users have been asking for but DJI has not gotten around to putting it into a firmware. DJI WHERE IS FOCUS PEAKING????

Anyways, there are ways to get around this.
1) If your filming in bright settings, set the aperture to a high F stop. That will cause most of what your filming to be in focus regardless of movement.
2) Practice using the focus bar on the app. Before I got the focus handwheel I was using this to adjust focus and getting decent results.
3) Buy the focus handwheel for the Osmo. I love this thing. Really easy to focus on objects and track. The only thing that is missing is focus peaking. I don't need continuous focus, because on other camera systems I have used at times the focus is on things that I don't want. However, with the Osmo mobile just being released, the app showed active tracking for it. So if we can get active tracking plus continuous focus for Osmo Pro users, now we are talking.
2016-9-1
Use props
fans49693779
lvl.1
Flight distance : 308619 ft
United States

Longer communication cable for the focus wheel?

Considering the osmo pro as one of my company's options. Curious is there is an option for a longer communcation cable so I could mount the osmo pro on a z - axis while the focus wheel is on an extender arm closer the handle.
2017-1-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules