Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
ActiveTrack for old OSMO (not only for new osmo mobile)
37416 72 2016-9-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

alvintoro Posted at 2016-9-16 14:19
Thank you DJI-Thor. I understand and trust me, I'm in no way trying to shoot the messenger here. My  ...

I agree fully but I really don't think these matters are going to be resolved,on many occasions on this forum dji facilitators have led people to think that dji R&D were working on new firmwear/softwear to sort out glitches and they openly encouraged members here to make suggestions for improvements to original osmo, yet it has been a slap in the face for osmo customers who still have many problems with there cameras, to find before they will be sorted dji will be releasing 2 new products..
If I bought apple iphone 7 and it had problems and glitches and apple did nothing about but released iPhone 8 I would never buy an apple product again...
2016-9-17
Use props
JD约翰先生
lvl.1

United States

alvintoro Posted at 2016-9-16 06:19
Thank you DJI-Thor. I understand and trust me, I'm in no way trying to shoot the messenger here. My  ...

Extremely well said - DJI please take note.

I stumbled upon this forum post after watching the video tutorial on DJI's channel about the active track function on the Osmo Mobile version. I was excited to finally see one of the functions i've been waiting for for over 6 months, so I started checking online whether my standard Osmo could take advantage of it. Sad to hear that apparently it cannot, and that it's limited to the mobile version - I find it quite ridiculous, and the fact that 3rd party apps allow it to do it clearly means that if DJI really wants to make it happen through DJI Go, it can!

DJI, please look into this and take care of your existing customers. I love the brand and your products, and will probably be a DJI Drone owner soon aswell. However, other companies are catching up, and GoPro's Karma + Hero5 deal will definitely bring some hard competition to the market. I will remain a loyal customer, but please address outstanding issues with your products.

Cheers
2016-9-20
Use props
lukas3
lvl.3
Flight distance : 577543 ft
Czechia

I am missing ActiveTrack and Motion Timelapse in my DJI Osmo as well
2016-9-23
Use props
meteorosz
lvl.1

Australia

anjosva Posted at 2016-9-9 20:29
Hi guys,

I've tested the vertical studio with my DJI OSMO and to be honest I think the pattern tack ...

Yeah, Autoframe is rubbish. It uses GPS and drifts all over the place - unuseable.
2016-9-27
Use props
ArtistFirst
Second Officer
Flight distance : 986716 ft

USUAVMedia Posted at 2016-9-2 01:59
Seriously?  Active-track is a great feature that could easily be added to the existing OSMO platform ...

Or you have a guy like me that was literally a day away from buying the Osmo+ until I saw that the mobile was out. I am concerned about the weight issue (I have a 6+. soon to be a 7, or maybe a Samsung) and now I   would prefer the X3 version to the mobile but not having the Active Track is so frustrating that I am waiting for them to add it to the Osmo+ or I won't get it.

I suppose it makes no sense since I was going to get it when it didn't have it but I see no reason why it shouldn't.  I am a VFX artist and I know how these things work.  The power to track the image is completely in the app itself. The hardware does nothing to speed it up or not.  There is the same if not more processing power in the OSMO+ than the mobile unless there is something I don't know.  Either way, the phone or tab processing power is PLENTY for a single track of info.

There is no reason that it shouldn't and couldn't be applied to the OSMO and OSMO+ and I am on the sideline for it now.

Probably for the best as I am getting the Mavic and I didn't know that was coming before I almost bought it either.

Maybe I'll just buy a cheapy hand held stabilizer for my phone and be happy with all my birds.
2016-10-11
Use props
ArtistFirst
Second Officer
Flight distance : 986716 ft

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-9-2 15:37
I talked with engineers about this, the image-recognition calculation is CPU intensive, so it requi ...

Simply not true.

Without even another device to help accelerate, my iPad Pro 9.7 and even an Air2 and a Mini2 and 4 all have enough processing power to do the active track (even with other things going on), keep in mind that on a Phantom 4, the tracking is happening not only while the camera is looking but while the whole rest of the bird is using it's flight board, ESCs, props, etc.  The power to track is in the tab and there is no reason it shouldn't be able to do it.  

That answer is simply not true.  There is SOOOO much more power in pretty much any phone we are carrying around than is in any model of the OSMO.
2016-10-11
Use props
james.mcmillan
lvl.3
Flight distance : 71739 ft
United States

So, two thoughts:

Note, it's not just the processing power required on the phone for pattern recognition, but it also requires the video to be downloaded from the Osmo to the phone first before it can perform the pattern recognition processing - and this takes time.  The result is that pattern tracking may be somewhat sluggish.

Regarding delivering functionality to the Osmo, DJI is clearly responsible for delivering all the functionality that was promised when the product was introduced.  There can be no excuse for not doing so.  However, delivering new functionality for existing products that is incorporated into newer products, maybe yes, maybe no.  Adding new functionality to DJI GO (tracking in this case) is not free.  DJI has to commit resources to do it.  Obviously, technically, pattern tracking can be done because two third-party apps, AutoFrame and Vertical Studio, have done it.  However, apparently, DJI has chosen to deploy those resources elsewhere.  For DJI to remain healthy, they must be continuously developing new products.  Adding new functionality to existing products must compete for those limited resources.  Most times, new product development will win that trade-off because it offers the opportunity to increase their revenue.  Adding functionality to existing products - without charging for it - just can't compete.  Fortunately, DJI created an open platform that allows third-party developers to add functionality as they see the opportunity.  Effectively, DJI has outsourced some of their new feature development activity to third-parties for their older products.  That doesn't sound so unreasonable to me.
2016-10-11
Use props
frankwhite23
New

United States

So I have an Osmo pro which retails for $2,000.00 and I can't get the features you put on a cheap mobile phone accessory?! wtf how on earth is that supposed to make sense to ANY reasonable person you made me wait almost a year for the damn adapter you guys are trying to do to much how about getting it right!! first then moving on to new products.

Maybe the people that spent thousands of dollars on an inspire 1 pro should get to enjoy ActiveTrack on the Osmo instead of having to use a lesser quality phone camera!!!!
2016-10-24
Use props
rJ22r3rRPeSo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2058179 ft
Brazil

uptowndisco@hot Posted at 2016-9-3 20:51
Thanks for posting , I never knew about Vertical Studio , I have just purchased
and tested with my ...

Uptowndisco, how Litchi app go with ActiveTrack and Motion Timelapse on old Osmo? Did you get good results?
2016-10-31
Use props
hitmee
New

Singapore

uptowndisco@hot Posted at 2016-9-4 06:51
Thanks for posting , I never knew about Vertical Studio , I have just purchased
and tested with my ...

Vertical studio can only detect very slow movement. almost useless. cant even detect walking pace. only can detect if you do "ninja walk"
2016-11-12
Use props
fans1fe36231
New

Venezuela

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-9-1 11:17
These functions are only available for the Osmo Mobile.

Then it was better to buy the osmo mobile, and not to spend as much money with the mobile + two fundamental functions in a video equipment of last generation
2016-12-16
Use props
fanse0f84b9e
lvl.1

Germany

Is object racking working with the Zenmuse M1?? I just ordered one.
2017-1-20
Use props
Flavio Leal
lvl.1

Brazil

I'm disappointing with a DJI. My "old" Osmo is less than three months old. It already had to be changed by presenting the giant pixels in the bread movements. The functionality in question can never be added. And ready. I confess that DJI was not a good deal for me. And that makes me think of other brands, unfortunately, because Osmo was not a cheap product. On the contrary. There were many other options at friendlier prices. As the friend said, I'm in the dust.
2017-3-12
Use props
fansfdd35f9d
New

Sweden

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-9-1 07:17
These functions are only available for the Osmo Mobile.

How to get ActiveTrack for android
2017-4-9
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

fansfdd35f9d Posted at 2017-4-9 21:03
How to get ActiveTrack for android

For the Osmo Mobile it's  the same as IOS, on the screen you'll see a yellow circle. Press that and it will change to a green box. Then tap on your subject and you'll activate Active Track.
2017-4-10
Use props
nibblerrick
lvl.3
Flight distance : 304590 ft
  • >>>
Germany

The Activetrackthing is the one thing we can discuss about. I had some good experience with vertical studio when using with a P3 Pro as well as with the Osmo mobile. So it's not perfect, but possible. Vertical Studio seems not to be actively developed anymore. Of course I'd love to see Activetrack on the Osmo.
The other thing is motion timelapse. That was already announced with the "old" osmo IIRC and I don't see why it shouldn't be implemented. Images don't have to be processed like with activetrack. It doesn't have to make a movie right out of the images but just capturing image per image with the preset movement. I really love to see this for the X3 cam. I ordered the M1 and motiontimelapse is much fun but you get only the rendered movie. Getting just raw-images to edit the timelapse afterwards would be awesome.
2017-4-12
Use props
Yongkun Park
lvl.1
Flight distance : 298074 ft
South Korea

I purchased Osmo+ today found Active Track is not available.
Through moments of frustration, I bought Vertical Studio and also found they don't support Osmo temporarily..(But it looks they shut down their business..) for Android.
Also purchased Autoframe for iOS for my iPad to try active track. When I tested in my room, Autoframe tracking function is veryvery disappointing.

I already put Osmo+ on online market.

It is such a shame for me to believe Osmo + will have those feature only because it is upscale version of Osmo Mobile.But, also devastating disappoinment to DJI that it looks they don't consider developing the feature that so many users want to have.
2017-8-5
Use props
OleksiiUA
New
Ukraine

Hi guys.

Just realised that my X3 doesn't have active tracking. It's really shame, cuz I advised to my friend buy same, just only to use active tracking.
He is a boxer/mma - wanted to shot training.
OMG! He doesnt know yet that it was bad idea to listen to me ((( DJI, c'mon((

About Vertical studio. I don't know how this option is working at Osmo mobile, but i found it is not an awful solution for us. Better then nothing. Working with my Iphone 5s. I was running in my room and it lost me only once, when i ran to fast

Existence of Verticals studio proves that DJI engineers to lazy to do same app that other company already did. That just saying - it's impossible. Cool guys. Very perspective for ur company.
U r disappoint me.
2017-8-22
Use props
eliseward92
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2017-8-22
Use props
fans4f52b9cc
lvl.1
Flight distance : 32451 ft
Norway

Here is an example of VerticalStudio and Osmo

2017-8-23
Use props
OleksiiUA
New
Ukraine

But for DJI GO it's impossible. I shouldn't buy x3 anyway
2017-8-23
Use props
paraviz02
lvl.4

United States

frankwhite23@ao Posted at 2016-10-24 09:57
So I have an Osmo pro which retails for $2,000.00 and I can't get the features you put on a cheap mobile phone accessory?! wtf how on earth is that supposed to make sense to ANY reasonable person you made me wait almost a year for the damn adapter you guys are trying to do to much how about getting it right!! first then moving on to new products.

Yea, seriously.

We bought the OSMO+ stupidly assuming that the capabilities would be far greater than any gimmicky smartphone OSMO Mobile device.

A bit disappointed, now that we're trying to use ActiveTrack with the OSMO+, only to find out that our hardware is not even good enough to have these capabilities. Yet, our phone's camera is too garbage to get proper image quality.

It's a lose-lose situation.
2017-8-25
Use props
paraviz02
lvl.4

United States

paraviz02 Posted at 2017-8-25 13:21
Yea, seriously.

We bought the OSMO+ stupidly assuming that the capabilities would be far greater than any gimmicky smartphone OSMO Mobile device.

And for the record, we have both OSMO Mobile and OSMO+. I do not want to use OSMO Mobile as my first choice when I want to track a single subject. It's absurd to think that DJI has allowed the gimmick device to have more valuable features than the professional device.

(Ok, so my OSMO+ isn't the OSMO Pro or RAW ... But I'd say the OSMO+ should still be classified as a professional device.)
2017-8-25
Use props
dezign999
lvl.3
Flight distance : 27297 ft
United States

fans4f52b9cc Posted at 2017-8-23 02:27
Here is an example of VerticalStudio and Osmo

https://vimeo.com/198328223

Impressive. Definitely going to get this.
2017-8-25
Use props
Stait9
New

United Kingdom

I've just read all the comments and to be honest am now very disappointed in DJI now.  I have just purchased an OSMO and the active track does not work.  This was the primary reason for buying the tool.

I have also just tried to download Vertical Studio for my iPhone 6s and it seems the only option available is Drone Director for DJI Drones - is this the app refered to above?

DJI -  is there a solution to this?  Are you doing anything to help this situation?

Without what appears to be a viable option, I will definitely be considering selling my Osmo.  This is after several attempts of trying to buy one which all end up in funny disasters.  Perhaps I should have taken note.  Perhaps DJI should take note too.  I hope I get my money back
2017-10-15
Use props
Stait9
New

United Kingdom

Just checked Vertical Studio Drone Director for DJI Drones and it doesn't appear to work with OSMO.

Anyone got an suggestions?  Thanks
2017-10-15
Use props
Stait9
New

United Kingdom

Only thing I can find is Autoframe which uses the GPS settings previously mentioned.  It is using an iPhone 6s.  
This will shortly be upgraded to an iPhone 8 if that helps
2017-10-15
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Stait9 Posted at 2017-10-15 09:08
Only thing I can find is Autoframe which uses the GPS settings previously mentioned.  It is using an iPhone 6s.  
This will shortly be upgraded to an iPhone 8 if that helps

Stait, active track only works with Osmo Mobile.
Because of hardware limit, Osmo, Osmo+,Osmo Pro/raw don't have this feature and we have no plan to add in the future.
We are sorry for the inconvenience caused, and DJI Go is our official APP, we are unable to provide support to other third party APP.
2017-10-15
Use props
fans599aa974
New
Flight distance : 646 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

After reading all the comments and having same issue with my osmo +i will think twice before buying any thing from dji it is silly that an inferior product has more functions then the so called superior ones from dji very shameful
2017-11-21
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

fans599aa974 Posted at 2017-11-21 22:10
After reading all the comments and having same issue with my osmo +i will think twice before buying any thing from dji it is silly that an inferior product has more functions then the so called superior ones from dji very shameful

We are sorry for the frustration to our products, may I know what problems you are experiencing?
More details would be appreciated.
2017-11-22
Use props
Hunter-AliceNT
lvl.1
Flight distance : 861345 ft
  • >>>
Australia

alvintoro Posted at 2016-9-16 05:19
Thank you DJI-Thor. I understand and trust me, I'm in no way trying to shoot the messenger here. My frustration is not at you but at DJI's position on this. In all honesty I already have the functionality through the 3rd party apps. But I, as many other early adopters have been forced to find creative workarounds like this to get the device to work as we need since the very beginning. From a customer service point of view it would go a really long way for you guys to step up to the plate and enable these functions on the GoApp. Yes, you might cannibalize some new unit sales in the process but you will gain the trust back from those who blindly gave you their business, have been very paitiently  waiting for support and are now left in the dust by your company.

Still no movement on the DJI GO app on this feature as from this date...disappointing DJI...we think you should implement this with a warning to users that depending on the setting and user phone you may not get favourable results...but at least let us try!
2018-3-7
Use props
Hunter-AliceNT
lvl.1
Flight distance : 861345 ft
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-11-22 23:10
We are sorry for the frustration to our products, may I know what problems you are experiencing?
More details would be appreciated.

Hi Mindy, as can be seen here there is obviously some third party Software available that can Active track reasonably and all we are asking is that you implement this into your latest version also even if it is a little clunky, as more and more display devices are finding speed this will be over come ??
2018-3-7
Use props
KickingKing
lvl.1
Flight distance : 232667 ft
Bulgaria

Last few days I've been doing a research on this as I've bought 2nd hand Osmo+
I am uber fustrated that I've put my money in higher class product that has less features than the new ones. And I doubt that it is only hardware issue as I own Phantom 3 Pro and it does not have features like panorama, image follow/tracing... Only after P4... Buuuuuuuuut if you buy the Litchy app you have it. How is that so?!?'

Meanwhile buying a Smooth 4 stabilization for a phone has all the features, plus many more, for 119$? Shame on DJI

Will test out Verticle studio next week and will report how it works with Osmo+
2019-8-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules