3165 56 2016-9-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jkeller84
Second Officer
Flight distance : 396955 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hey guys. I've been thinking about upgrading to an Inspire 1 for a while now. If any of you guys have been thinking about it as well, this video might be handy. I'll be doing a series of videos comparing the two in the near future.

2016-9-1
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Awesome job. Thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge.

You have come a long way, baby... Hahaha

Can't wait for you to hook up the lume cubes to this photography platform. ;-)

RedHotPoker

2016-9-1
Use props
Jkeller84
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-9-1 20:31
Awesome job. Thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge.

You have come a long way, baby... Ha ...

I ordered the inspire mounts today!
2016-9-1
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

You should have those quite soon, then the real light fun begins. ;-)

This certainly takes your current photographic abilities to a whole new level.

RedHotPoker
2016-9-1
Use props
Jkeller84
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-9-1 20:44
You should have those quite soon, then the real light fun begins. ;-)

This certainly takes your cur ...

I sure hope so!
2016-9-2
Use props
QuadBart
lvl.4
Flight distance : 256506 ft
  • >>>
United States

Good video!  Some of the same reasons I bought the Inspire 1 v2.   I will add though, the camera will not do a complete 360 degree rotation.  Its something like 340-350 degrees.  So to return to center, it must rotate all the way back... It doesn't move the 10-20 degrees forward to re-center...

2016-9-2
Use props
Jkeller84
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

QuadBart Posted at 2016-9-2 04:54
Good video!  Some of the same reasons I bought the Inspire 1 v2.   I will add though, the camera wil ...

Ahh good point. Maybe I should have said the camera has a "360 degree unobstructed view". Anyway, thanks for watching.
2016-9-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

I saw an ad, someone was actually into trading an Inspire 1 for a Phantom 4? ;-)
That seems like a crazy uneven trade to me...

RedHotPoker

2016-9-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Any sign yet, of the anticipated Inspire 1 Lume Cube lighting  Kit?
Looking forward to your awesome pics, video & oratory contributions/additions to the thread we started for sharing the Lume Cube night content
http://forum.dji.com/thread-60960-1-1.html

RedHotPoker
2016-9-4
Use props
Grizz 1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120066 ft
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-9-4 14:56
Any sign yet, of the anticipated Inspire 1 Lume Cube lighting  Kit?
Looking forward to your awesome  ...

they do have the lume cube kit for the inspire, $179.99, 2 cubes, 2 mounts, but I wont upgrade to the inspire until they get their flight time up to at least thirty minutes ! I do like all the things about the inspire.
2016-9-4
Use props
virtualimagedes
lvl.3
Flight distance : 364826 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes its bigger we get it.
2016-9-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Yeah thanks, we already know, as it's actually been ordered... We are both proud 'torch' carrying members in "Legion of Lume!! ;-)
I was only asking him if they have shown up yet, & I hope that he's expecting twins. Chuckles
Now, onto Getting you a Lume Cube hookup next? I hope. Hahaha
http://www.lumecube.com/164.html

Shine On. . .

RedHotPoker
2016-9-4
Use props
tokenbrit
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384094 ft
United States

Thanks - that's a very good video  and interesting to hear your thought process. I'm curious to know what you photograph any what is driving you to  perfection?
2016-9-4
Use props
Jkeller84
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

virtualimagedes Posted at 2016-9-4 17:25
Yes its bigger we get it.

Are you sure? I can go over it again if you'd like.
2016-9-4
Use props
Jkeller84
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-9-4 17:30
Yeah thanks, we already know, as it's actually been ordered... We are both proud 'torch' carrying me ...

They are supposed to be here tomorrow!
2016-9-4
Use props
Jkeller84
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

tokenbrit Posted at 2016-9-4 18:36
Thanks - that's a very good video  and interesting to hear your thought process. I'm curious to know ...

I do lots of various things. I specifically enjoy landscape photography from many different perspectives.
2016-9-4
Use props
tokenbrit
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384094 ft
United States

Jkeller84 Posted at 2016-9-5 06:43
I do lots of various things. I specifically enjoy landscape photography from many different perspe ...

I'm looking forward to your flight reviews. The inspire is a beast compared to the P4.
2016-9-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Jkeller84 Posted at 2016-9-4 16:42
They are supposed to be here tomorrow!

OH, well good for you. You must be excited, and happy.
It's our Canadian Labor Day long weekend here tomorrow, so most everything is closed.

But, that doesn't stop us from going flying... You too, I would expect. Ha

RedHotPoker
2016-9-4
Use props
Mabou2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 811257 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi jkeller,  thanks for putting this video together.!  For starters, I think it is awesome that you want to help everyone by making these videos.   It's obvious that you don't have a lot of experience producing instructional videos/blogs,  and I'd like to offer some unsolicited advice for re-editing this video, as well as to help you make better upcoming videos.  With just a few small changes, your video could be much more effective.

(I am relatively new to drone cinematography, but have owned a video production company for 22+ years. )

1) edit this video down dramatically.  I estimate that you can get your message out in no more than 4 minutes..  There is SO much repetition and too many long pauses.  This doesn't need to be an 11 minute video.  By having it this long and with so many rough edges, you lose the viewer and the importance of your message becomes diluted.

2) use B-roll.  Shoot a bunch of close-ups of both drones and the parts you are describing.  Then cut to those shots while you discuss something.   This will also allow you to cut your narrative since you won't be on camera.  Basically, if you are discussing a specific feature, show that feature to the viewer.

3) make a bullet list of the important points to discuss and hide it off camera.  Go down that list and stick to it.

4) practice before you start rolling cameras.

5) edit the final video down to just the best moments. (For example, Only one mention of the size difference is needed.  After that, additional mentions only serve to diminish the message). Cutting the video narrative helps a lot, and this is where b-roll saves the day.  

6) To get the message across and be in the roll of an advisor, don't allow yourself to be seen in those moments where you are struggling to find your next words.  Happens to all of us on camera quite a bit.  Cut those moments out.  If there are one or two of those in a blog video, not a huge problem, but you have quite a few of those long pauses in this video.  Those moments become a nuisance to the viewer when you are expecting someone to watch a long video.

I think it is awesome that you made this video to help us.  The important part of messaging is to make the message as clear and concise as possible, you will look better, your video will be better received, and you will get more traffic to the video in the long run.  

I'll throw myself under the bus and point you to an instructional video I made a while ago.  This was a one-camera shoot (like yours).  I made so many mistakes during my recording, often times having to restate a sentence 10 times to get through it.  But because I carefully edited my narrative, it actually sounds like I know what I'm talking about :-)
2016-9-5
Use props
Jkeller84
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mabou2 Posted at 2016-9-5 06:14
Hi jkeller,  thanks for putting this video together.!  For starters, I think it is awesome that you  ...

I appreciate your feedback. Thanks for the tips.
This all started as a project for a speach class to get me to be able to speak in fron of people easier. I am not good in front of crowds, and not very comfortable in front of a camera. I keep forcing myself to do it so I improve.
2016-9-5
Use props
js711
lvl.2
Flight distance : 503215 ft
Canada

Jkeller84 Posted at 2016-9-5 08:17
This all started as a project for a speach class  ...

Good job with the voice / speech in your video!
2016-9-5
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

I appreciate your videos, and don't notice any shyness or uncomfortable nature in the orator. ;-)
& I hope you continue to practice and inprove, at your own rate.  Congrats for battling a difficult situation, of your nature.

RedHotPoker
2016-9-5
Use props
Mabou2
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Jkeller84 Posted at 2016-9-5 11:17

Congratulations dude.  That is awesome.  Keep it going, you will continue to improve.  I SUCK at being on camera or in front of crowds.  Can't stand a single thing about the way I appear or sound...  So I understand very well how you feel.  Creating that video I shared was an exercise in facing my worst fears and then cringing at how many times I couldn't get a single sentence right.  Crafty editing helped the final product quite a bit...  Cutting to b-roll allows you to edit your voice, delete mumbles and bad sentences, etc.

Anyway, congrats to you on facing the demons and getting out there.  It takes a lot of guts to do that.  I look forward to the next video.
Matt
2016-9-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Jkeller84 Posted at 2016-9-5 16:17

Well done mate, a journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step, you've made a great leap, I look forward to your next video.
2016-9-6
Use props
Jkeller84
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mabou2 Posted at 2016-9-6 05:06
Congratulations dude.  That is awesome.  Keep it going, you will continue to improve.  I SUCK at b ...

Thank you!
2016-9-6
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I agree with the suggestions and I'm sure your videos will get better and better. And congrats on the speech class, your doing awesome. Hey, you and RHP got me to buy the cubes from your review.
Looking forward to more videos.
2016-9-6
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-9-6 13:53
I agree with the suggestions and I'm sure your videos will get better and better. And congrats on th ...

DJI-Ken, you are too kind sir. And it's been my distinct honour playing here in your play ground. ;-)
Yes, the Lume Cubes are impressive, but they need a worthy drone to join hands with.
Thanks to DJI, we have a marriage made here, in little Heaven.

Thank you...

RedHotPoker
2016-9-6
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-9-7 04:38
DJI-Ken, you are too kind sir. And it's been my distinct honour playing here in your play ground. ; ...

Very nice, I may get the Inspire mounts too
2016-9-6
Use props
lido_bmt
lvl.2
Flight distance : 87772 ft

No offense, but this is exactly why you *shouldn't* upgrade. This goes for anything in life, but especially with very expensive technical items. There is a simple way to understand when to upgrade:

You upgrade when you cannot achieve what you want through your current equipment.

When you say vague things like "It's upgradeable," "it has a better camera that rotates", "the quality is better"; these are not good reasons because they are vague and somewhat meaningless. Good reasons are things like

• "There is too much depth of field in this shot, and I can't get anything narrower with the current lens on my current equipment."
  • "My tracking shots don't work because I can't go fast enough to keep up with my subject, so I need bigger motors."
  • "I have a great cinematographer and he's limited right now because he's forced to fly and control the camera at the same time; he/she can get better results utilizing a second controller."

When you can identify very specific instances where you can improve your work, start evaluating upgrades. But don't fall into the trap of thinking "I'll get better footage by buying more equipment." This is something so many people do in the photography world and they end up with tons of gear that they barely know how to use and can't take advantage of.

You know what helps people shoot better? Learning how light works in a shot. Learning how to make cinema-like camera moves (software like Autopilot is a godsend for things like this). Learing how to color grade. In fact these things get even more important when you upgrade because there are less automatic settings to hold your hand.

2016-9-6
Use props
Jkeller84
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

lido_bmt Posted at 2016-9-6 18:35
No offense, but this is exactly why you *shouldn't* upgrade. This goes for anything in life, but esp ...

With all due respect, I disagree. The reasons I gave in the video were the reasons that I felt like I wanted to upgrade. Did I NEED to upgrade? No. I feel like I can achieve better shots with the I1 for the reasons I gave in the video. It might not be the thing for you, but that's your option. I'm learning more and more as I go along. So far, I have confirmed that I can achieve the shots that I want to with the I1.
2016-9-6
Use props
QuadBart
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

lido_bmt Posted at 2016-9-6 16:35
No offense, but this is exactly why you *shouldn't* upgrade. This goes for anything in life, but esp ...

Wow, that was a very eye-opening post for me.  I made up all these reasons why the Inspire would be a good purchase when in reality I've not even come close to maximizing my other AP Multi-rotors...

I was just looking for reasons to buy one.  I'm an adult with a good paying job, I should realize I don't need to justify purchases even to myself.  Its okay to say; "I just wanted one"...
2016-9-6
Use props
lido_bmt
lvl.2

QuadBart Posted at 2016-9-7 07:29
Wow, that was a very eye-opening post for me.  I made up all these reasons why the Inspire would b ...

I didn't say you shouldn't buy one if you want one. The issue is when people buy these types of things and expect them to automagically generate better results when they can't even take advantage of their current equipment. Witness how many people buy dSLRs and yet they sit in closets because their phones take "the same photos". Do you also think it's a good for people to buy 4x10 core computers to help them write a novel? Do you recommend Grado cans for people who only listen to podcasts? Do you recommend people buy Cannonade Supersix frames when they need to cycle to work?

Being an adult isn't about having the purchasing power to buy what you want (and frankly an Inspire 1 is hardly out of reach for most folks in the middle class) . That's actually being childish. It's about understanding what fits your needs. If your particular need is to have something shiny, there's nothing wrong with that. But for most people, a decision to purchase one version of something that's more expensive versus something else needs concrete reasons as to how it'll improve your work other than "oooh, shiny toy."
2016-9-6
Use props
QuadBart
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

lido_bmt Posted at 2016-9-6 23:01
I didn't say you shouldn't buy one if you want one. The issue is when people buy these types of thi ...

OMG, you are so full of CRAP!

You pretend to take the high-road with your preaching about people buying more than they need, yet I bet you don't live by what you say.  Bet your car isn't some basic car.  Bet you don't live in a tent. Based on your weak logic, no one needs a house or equivalent cause a tent takes care of one's needs.  No one needs a car cause you can walk to where ever you need to go.  And if you don't then move your tent closer...

I think people should buy whatever they want and can afford.  I think no one should judge how one spends the money they earned or how they use a product they purchased as long as they aren't hurting anyone.  
So what if someone wants to buy a high-end mountain bike and use it to commute 3 miles to work?  So what if someone wants to buy a Ferrari but never takes it above the national speed limit?  Their money, their choice.  They bought what they wanted regardless if it was, in your OPINION something they were going to fully utilize to its full potential or not.

Is everything you own the basic, unless you use it to its full potential? I'll bet not.  You are so two-faced...

Sounds to me like someone is jealous or envious of those that can spend money on more than the necessities...

You had a good point about people upgrading items if they weren't using what they currently had to their full potential, but you lost any credibility when you started using really poor examples that no longer fit your argument.   

2016-9-7
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

QuadBart Posted at 2016-9-7 05:49

You pretend to take the high-road with your preaching about people b ...

Is that your drone in the avatar pic?

Wow, You sure have a big one!! ;-)

RedHotPoker
2016-9-7
Use props
lido_bmt
lvl.2

QuadBart Posted at 2016-9-7 07:49

You pretend to take the high-road with your preaching about people b ...

I think you missed the entire point of what I was saying.  My very first sentence was "I didn't say you shouldn't buy one if you want one." I'm not making judgements on anyone's purchasing decisions, I was talking about what you would recommend to someone who was asking if they should purchase A or B. That includes "self perception", so if something is more expensive and provides no additional benefit aside from improving your self perceived worth, more power to you. However few people would consider buying a Ferrari solely to go to work to be a very mature, adult decision. That said, that's a complete distraction from my actual point, which is:

• Want to improve the quality of your work? Identify what is causing the limitations in it and work to address those issues.
  • Most of the time your limitations will NOT stem from your hardware, so be aware that upgrading will not do anything to fix those issues unless you can specifically identify what in the hardware is holding you back.
  • The reasons the OP posted in the video for upgrading were extremely vague, so if he thinks upgrading will help fix issues such as "quality", he will be sorely mistaken.

Side note: I no longer own a car because (gasp) I don't need one. I also own a house because (gasp) a tent doesn't have what I need. And finally, the fact that you think a SuperSix is some kind of mountain bike is pretty much a perfect example of what I'm talking about.

2016-9-7
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

"I love me some carbon fibre over the ol' chromoly"

Do they ride mountain bikes in The "Tour"? ;-)

RedHotPoker
2016-9-7
Use props
Mabou2
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

He who dies with the most toys wins.  And I intend to win.  :-)
2016-9-8
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

This thread is about a product comparison, please keep it that way.
2016-9-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-9-8 15:45
This thread is about a product comparison, please keep it that way.

Agree I'm very interested in the core of this thread
2016-9-8
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Ok, better get a rope!! ;-)

We need to hang our hearts on our long sleeves... Hahaha

I appreciate anyone willing to stand in front of a video camera and speak to me.
It takes plenty of abilities, nerves, skills, talents and purpose, Many people only can claim to possess one or two.

Thanks for stepping up to the mic, Jeremy. ;-)

Now I need to go count all of my cherished big boy toys... Hahaha

RedHotPoker
2016-9-8
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules