Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Osmo Mobile - iPhone 7 and external microphone?
123Next >
52674 107 2016-9-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jml2061
lvl.1
Flight distance : 10568 ft

jadot Posted at 2016-9-10 01:37
So Do you think that connecting to the gimbal using Bluetooth wouldn't hinder a second bluetooth c ...

No, you can have up to (theory) 15 devices (the Bluetooth address F, 16, is reserved for the device itself, a loopback port). Practically, 4 is the limit, and latency increases exponentially with each. So Gimbal = latency 0.1, Gimbal + Mic = latency 0.2, Gimbal + Mic + iWatch = latency 0.4, and so on.

I am somewhat surprised, that this is the only issue discussed, though. No access to Lightning/microUSB also means you're limited by the phone's battery. Which, in the case of me using the iPhone with a USB mic alone, no gimbal always on control, is about 2 for an iPhone 6s Plus taking video. It's cool, that you can take 4.5h time lapses, but without access to the charging port, that ain't gonna happen. iPhone 6, 6s, or (worse) 5, you'll be done in 90 minutes.
2016-9-10
Use props
jadot

United Kingdom

jml2061 Posted at 2016-9-10 11:40
No, you can have up to (theory) 15 devices (the Bluetooth address F, 16, is reserved for the devic ...

Thanks. I guess my point would be if you are recording video via DJIGo would the software recognise a bluetooth mic at the same time? Or would it just default to the on board mic.

It's probably moot anyway, considering the potential latency issues, as you said.

You're right - battery drain is far more worrying (for me). I can live without the audio, but DJI's design decision to block off the centre lightning port simply doesn't make sense. It's right there! Surely at the design stage someone might have said; "So you can put the iPhone in here, but you will be covering the charging port, possibly the speakers, and incidentally, the mic. Let's go ahead with that, no-one will notice."
It almost seems like deliberate sabotage for who knows what reason. Either that or they messed up.
2016-9-10
Use props
jamesburchell
lvl.4
Flight distance : 9987 ft
United Kingdom

I did mention the charging issue as I'd be happy to strap a USB power pack to a tripod for use on time lapses. I have managed to balance my iPhone 6 in the gimbal and plug the standard lightning cable in. It does mean squashing the cable a bit to get it to fit though. A right angled lightning cable would be fine.
As per a previous reply from Thor I think it was, there's no way any of the Plus models will be able to balance like that.
2016-9-10
Use props
xc3
lvl.1
Australia

I'd like to see someone try using an MV88.
With the phone so far left, gimbal balance could be an issue though.
2016-9-11
Use props
n4jtClmTxkoG
New

United States

I have the Ampridge Mightymic W bluetooth lavalier for my iPhone.

http://www.ampridge.com/amp-mmw.html

It sounds nice, has no lag and is made to work specifically with the MoviePro iOS app. I have an iPhone 6+ and have been using this for about 9 months. I noticed on Amazon they have dropped the price to $79.99. It is a well made all aluminum piece, with about a 5 hour battery life. The battery is not removable, the included USB charging cable plugs into the mic. I bought it to use with a manual stabilizer, since it adds nothing to the phone to upset the balance.

I am interested in the Osmo Mobile, but it would have to work with this mic to be of use to me.

You can see a number of youtube vids reviewing this if you look up Mightymic W. I included a screenshot of their website info page.

Info on Mightymic W

Info on Mightymic W
2016-9-11
Use props
bleyten
lvl.3

My Osmo Mobile should be here tomorrow and I'll post an update if my Note 7 (approx same length as iPhone 7) can be balanced with the phone offset to the left due to the right angle mic cord plugged in.
2016-9-11
Use props
SoNiK
lvl.1
Flight distance : 183248 ft
Italy

bleyten Posted at 2016-9-12 01:25
My Osmo Mobile should be here tomorrow and I'll post an update if my Note 7 (approx same length as i ...

Perfect
2016-9-11
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

bleyten Posted at 2016-9-11 19:25
My Osmo Mobile should be here tomorrow and I'll post an update if my Note 7 (approx same length as i ...

It won't have any issue balancing, as long as your Note 7 work fine
2016-9-11
Use props
bleyten
lvl.3

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-9-12 15:47
It won't have any issue balancing, as long as your Note 7 doesn't explode...

Oh, you're one of those people huh! Great work here on the support forum Thor, I always appreciate a dicky comment from a company that I've spent thousands of dollars with!!
2016-9-12
Use props
patrickhenrymcs
lvl.1

United States

need better audio for this to really pay off!

Hi
@bleyten  did you have a chance to try and external microphone or switinch it around?
I am very curiourse to know if this will work

2016-9-12
Use props
bleyten
lvl.3

patrickhenrymcs Posted at 2016-9-13 03:35
Hi
@bleyten  did you have a chance to try and external microphone or switinch it around?
I am very c ...

Yes I did. Here's the video.

Quality isn't top notch, didn't have time to play with many setting beforehand plus it's only recorded at 720p and processed at a low bitrate.
2016-9-12
Use props
patrickhenrymcs
lvl.1

United States

bleyten Posted at 2016-9-12 17:03

https://youtu.be/-Hm4zwBkTsU

Thank you Bleyten If your ever in NY let me know I owe a drink for this one!
2016-9-12
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

bleyten Posted at 2016-9-12 11:10
Oh, you're one of those people huh! Great work here on the support forum Thor, I always appreciate  ...

Sorry, I've edited my post
2016-9-12
Use props
bleyten
lvl.3

patrickhenrymcs Posted at 2016-9-13 06:09
Thank you Bleyten If your ever in NY let me know I owe a drink for this one!

Glad I could be of help patrickhenrymcs!
2016-9-12
Use props
SoNiK
lvl.1
Italy

bleyten Posted at 2016-9-12 23:03

Thanks a lot for your video ✌
Can you tell me what is the Rode model you've connected?
2016-9-14
Use props
bleyten
lvl.3

SoNiK Posted at 2016-9-15 05:57
Thanks a lot for your video ✌
Can you tell me what is the Rode model you've connected?

The Rode VideoMic (http://amzn.to/2cqzx9n), you need the TRR to TRRS (http://amzn.to/2cqz0EG) adapter as well.
2016-9-15
Use props
SoNiK
lvl.1
Italy

bleyten Posted at 2016-9-15 21:21
The Rode VideoMic (http://amzn.to/2cqzx9n), you need the TRR to TRRS (http://amzn.to/2cqz0EG) adap ...

Thanks a lot ✌
2016-9-15
Use props
Phantom George
lvl.1

Australia

Osmo mobil just received 2 days ago. I installed and paired with my iphone 7 and all is working fine
2016-10-1
Use props
LDYHRPsRBqDQ
New

Netherlands

I've got the Osmo mobile and iPhone 6S plus with An external mic, but when using the iPhone 7, it won't workshop. You kust have to look for another solution/Gimbal.
2016-10-6
Use props
foreverhksimon
New
Hong Kong

I think he used "OSMO Mobile + iPhone 7Plus + Shure MV88" to record the video, and I leave a comment to ask him the balance problem,

Otherwise, Bluetooth microphone is my first choice for "OSMO Mobile + iPhone7Plus" this combination, because of the sound location and convenience.(Only one way on Shure MV88)
2016-10-6
Use props
B4fMb0GZViUE
lvl.1
Flight distance : 241371 ft
United Kingdom

Guys... I'd like to jump in the conversation because I'm also considering the purchase of an Osmo Mobile to use with my iPhone 7 and I'd like to use an external mic.

I came across this product: http://www.bluemic.com/products/mikey-digital/

It can swivel to 230 degress and it has also an external micro-usb that can be used to charge the phone. Looks like it could be a good solution to solve both the problems of having an external mic AND charge the phone.

My question is... does the djigo app support external lightning mics at all?

Thanks
2016-10-14
Use props
michaelemery
Flight distance : 167982 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-9-3 12:15
Hi, it is not possible to use most phones in reverse(bottom of the phone to the left), because the c ...

I don't understand the advice given here. The whole point of the OSMO Mobile is the gimbal mount for the iPhone, so why would you add a phone holder to the side of the unit?

The problem for iPhone 7 users is not the OSMO, it's with the missing headphone jack. A physical audio connection is simply not an option for iPhone 7. For non-iPhone users, dangling a cable from a gimble mounted device just seems like a bad idea, even if it does look like its "balancing ok".
I think there are only two solid options for the OSMO Mobile;

1. Accept it as a "simple" solution for making great video, with phone-mic sound quality, or
2. Record your audio on a seperate device, then mix the audio and video afterwards (iMovie works great for this). If it's quality you are after, this is best solution anyway, regardless of which phone, gimbal, or mic you are using. It's not as hard as it sounds, it will sound better, and as a bonus, it's relatively cheap to implement. You can use any mic you want, and attach a cheap digital sound recorder.
Note: you won't be able to use the iPhone you are recording video on the capture the sound, even with bluetooth, because that would require two apps to be running simultaneously, and I don't believe the audio set-up on iPhone works that way. There are plenty of cheap and portable digital sound recorders on the market.

2016-10-14
Use props
michaelemery
  • >>>
New Zealand

B4fMb0GZViUE Posted at 2016-10-15 08:00
Guys... I'd like to jump in the conversation because I'm also considering the purchase of an Osmo Mo ...

The "Mikey" looks like an awesome device, but it wouldn't work with the OSMO Mobile because the lightning port has to face the gimbal arm so there is no room to attach it. You can't flip the phone around otherwise the camera would be pointing into the gimbal arm.
2016-10-14
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

michaelemery Posted at 2016-10-15 12:12
I don't understand the advice given here. The whole point of the OSMO Mobile is the gimbal mount fo ...

We have the phone holder because there needs to be a gimbal motor on that spot;  And the Osmo Mobile is released around the same time with iPhone 7, so we had no way of making sure of how iPhone 7 would look like when designing Osmo Mobile.
2016-10-14
Use props
s.judge
lvl.1

New Zealand

My phone is a galaxy s7 with android version 6.0.1
I have a osmo mobile and was not able to save videos to the sd card.. The latest djigo app update lets me select the directory on the sd card to save to but when I do djigo says it cant access the mic and to turn the permission on for it. It is turned on in the app and when i switch the directory back to the phones memory the sound is saved on videos np. Pictures will save to the SD card directory fine as well but just not videos.
2016-10-15
Use props
michaelemery
  • >>>
New Zealand

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-10-15 15:48
We have the phone holder because there needs to be a gimbal motor on that spot;  And the Osmo Mobil ...

Your original post as sounded like you were saying to install an additional phone holder to house the iPhone with an external mic. That would make no sense, but I misunderstood you. However, the problem is not with attaching an external microphone, it's connecting it to the iPhone.

Cables are not an option because the port is blocked and the force of a physical cable could disrupt the gimbal. Bluetooth is not (yet) an option because Apple does not support external bkuetooth audio straight out of the box — that requires a compatible app. Maybe DJI could make their app compatible with external bluetooth audio?
2016-10-16
Use props
michaelemery
  • >>>
New Zealand

jml2061 Posted at 2016-9-10 18:40
No, you can have up to (theory) 15 devices (the Bluetooth address F, 16, is reserved for the devic ...

I'm sure you would get a lot better oerformance than 90 mins! There is also the option of a battery case such as the Apple Smart Battery Case or other third party variant — that would be an extra cost of course. As an indication, Apple rate the iPhone 7 Smart Battery Case as enabling up to 24 hours of video playback.
2016-10-16
Use props
SDN123
New

United States

Would it be possible to use the new Apple AirPods with their built in mic for recording audio in the DJI Go app?
2016-10-16
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

SDN123 Posted at 2016-10-17 10:06
Would it be possible to use the new Apple AirPods with their built in mic for recording audio in the ...

It certainly is possible, but we don't know until it's actually shipped and tested
2016-10-16
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

s.judge Posted at 2016-10-15 20:02
My phone is a galaxy s7 with android version 6.0.1
I have a osmo mobile and was not able to save vi ...

Sorry, there's some compatibility issue with Saving Directory function, we'll fix it soon
2016-10-16
Use props
#bellavitaotto
lvl.1
Flight distance : 241371 ft
United Kingdom

michaelemery Posted at 2016-10-15 05:29
The "Mikey" looks like an awesome device, but it wouldn't work with the OSMO Mobile because the li ...

You can tilt the microphone to face forward and adjust the osmo to compensate the extra weight...
2016-10-17
Use props
mholley
New

United States

why not just add bluetooth mic support into the dji go app? I want to use the osmo to record my teacher professional development and need the tracking and i need to wear a mic so my voice can be heard... I have used a Swivl in the past... but the line of sight ir kills me... Just adding bluetooth into the app would fix all if it. Any plans to do that? Other apps are already doing it.
2016-10-19
Use props
roland59
New

JKPinPDX Posted at 2016-9-6 14:18
Oh everyone just pipe down... you KNOW Rode Microphones (or another company, like Sena) will make a  ...

I agree, I am looking now since I'm expecting the iPhone 7 plus in 2 weeks and I get the Osmo Mobile coming this week. Let us know if you see anything great on the horizon for Bluetooth Mics for the iPhone 7
2016-10-21
Use props
patrickhenrymcs
lvl.1

United States

I got it to work with rode mic, but it's not sexy,
I had to have the iphone 7 plus way out and the arm fully extended and
then add an extra counter balance weight of 12 x 25c coins in a bag on the arm
this MAY be a solution... if Dji could create a addon to the arm of this weight we can use the lighting port for a microphone
@DJI-Thor
2016-10-29
Use props
Jimmyb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 9987 ft
United Kingdom

I'm not so worried about the mic issue nowadays since the Osmo mobile and iPhone 7 combo produces awful unusable video due to OIS in the phone. Sound is the least of my worries at the moment.
2016-10-30
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

patrickhenrymcs Posted at 2016-10-30 13:05
I got it to work with rode mic, but it's not sexy,
I had to have the iphone 7 plus way out and the a ...

This is not recommended, since it will obviously tax the gimbal more. If you insist, see if the gimbal gets hot.

We can't accommodate iPhone 7 plus, since it's not released when Osmo Mobile is being developed.
2016-10-31
Use props
the_btaylor
New

United States

bleyten Posted at 2016-9-13 05:03

https://youtu.be/-Hm4zwBkTsU

I may have missed it, but where is the placement of the VideoMic in your video? Is it off to the side or connected to the Osmo Mobile via the Rosette mount somehow? I have the the VideoMic and would love to use it very similarly, but wasn't sure if it was connected by the Rosette mount if the phone would ever catch the mic in the shot since it's so long. Great work!
2016-11-2
Use props
bleyten
lvl.3

the_btaylor Posted at 2016-11-2 22:15
I may have missed it, but where is the placement of the VideoMic in your video? Is it off to the s ...

Some pics of how I mounted the mic in this thread
http://forum.dji.com/thread-63407-1-1.html
2016-11-8
Use props
fanseffe0e5b
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-10-31 04:21
This is not recommended, since it will obviously tax the gimbal more. If you insist, see if the gi ...

Hi been using it and the gimbal is not getting hot, I am guessing since the counter weight is balancing the arm to the correct 'steady' position of the offset iphone 7, it's not over working it.

If thier is an SDK or api layer I can access to the devices gimbal status etc I woudl be interested to make sure

If/when you bring out the osmo mobile 2 please do a trade in, I really need my osmo mobile and 7plus with external mic, I got  a survery recently made sure it was noted their as well.

I guarantee if you did the osmo mobile 2 that could support the 7 plus and external mic people would be throwing their money at you...
2016-11-15
Use props
ComPH
lvl.4

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-9-8 10:58
The Osmo mobile was created for the everyday person, if you need a more professional gimbal then you should get a Osmo or Osmo+ if zoom is needed. And if you are a professional than the Ronin MX is incredible and also goes from ground work to aerial (with M600) is only a few minutes.

I am sorry, but where in the advertising material do you claim these facts? this is just a backpedaling excuse for screwing up or trying to save tooling money, to allow to get to the lightning port on the iPhone. Turning the phone around would block the lens, the other way blocks the lighting port. This didn't change since iPhone 6, so I understand that this is it, but don't try to sell the screwup as a feature.
2017-1-8
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules