Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Rattling noise on props on Phantom 4
3124 17 2016-9-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
conormacmahon
lvl.1
Flight distance : 344272 ft
United Kingdom

When the props on my Phantom 4 are spinning, I noticed the black ones make a "rattling" sound while the grey ones are silent. Is this normal? Video attached.

2016-9-3
Use props
calls4u2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 211604 ft
United Kingdom

Sounds like bearings to me, I'd not be flying that one but looking to get it repaired/replaced.
2016-9-3
Use props
gmccurdy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3 ft

Tried mine.  All four make the same slight whir noise when spun fast.

I'd guess bearings too from the above.
2016-9-3
Use props
conormacmahon
lvl.1
United Kingdom

calls4u2 Posted at 2016-9-3 15:33
Sounds like bearings to me, I'd not be flying that one but looking to get it repaired/replaced.

Thanks! Are the bearings difficult to access?
2016-9-3
Use props
conormacmahon
lvl.1
United Kingdom

gmccurdy@att.ne Posted at 2016-9-3 15:37
Tried mine.  All four make the same slight whir noise when spun fast.

I'd guess bearings too from t ...

It's interesting that all 4 of yours make the whir sound. Something's not right. Thanks
2016-9-3
Use props
calls4u2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 211604 ft
United Kingdom

conormacmahon Posted at 2016-9-3 15:38
It's interesting that all 4 of yours make the whir sound. Something's not right. Thanks

I'd perhaps wait see what someone from DJI says on here, my personal opinion is it *sounds* like a bearing issue. How many flights has it had?
There also some reports of the plate screws on the quick release playe coming loose, check the screws see if they look any different. I'd also maybe try a different set of props just to rule out any unbalancing - or even to see if that has been the cause.
2016-9-3
Use props
gmccurdy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3 ft

I think you just replace the entire motor and not the bearings.  They are cheap enough at $18 each (USA), but you have to know which motor as they spin in different directions.

http://www.empirerc.com/dji-phan ... torccw-p-10681.html
http://www.empirerc.com/dji-phan ... otorcw-p-10682.html

If you are under warranty, then maybe DJI will step in.  Your sounds the same for both the blacks so maybe they had a bad production run of that directional motor.
2016-9-3
Use props
Dr AJ
lvl.1
Flight distance : 9311 ft
United Kingdom

send it for repair mate, doesn't sound right. Did you have a crash at all?
2016-9-3
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

That sounds like a motor issue that would require sending the aircraft in for repair. Is this an out of box issue or was there a hard landing?
2016-9-3
Use props
Moshe.mmm
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1320098 ft
  • >>>
Israel

Maybe it because you turned it ccw and its cw motor...?
2016-9-3
Use props
NavyCWO4
lvl.1
Flight distance : 210810 ft
Canada

Sounds like a bearing going......
2016-9-3
Use props
Grizz 1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120066 ft
United States

try spinning the cw props in a cw direction, and the ccw props in ccw direction
2016-9-3
Use props
Mabou2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 811257 ft
  • >>>
United States

Also, pull off the props and just spin the motors themselves.  Troubleshooting 101 is to isolate the issue with the least amount of variables in the mix.  To me, this doesn't sound like a bearings issue.  
2016-9-5
Use props
fansbddb65ca
lvl.1
Flight distance : 490226 ft
Spain

Same problem with my Phantom 4, and I never had a crash or bad landing.
2016-11-4
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

fansbddb65ca Posted at 2016-11-4 18:20
Same problem with my Phantom 4, and I never had a crash or bad landing.

I would recommend getting in contact with the Europe Support team in order to get it addressed. They can be reached at support.eu@dji.com.
2016-11-5
Use props
mooney4321
lvl.2
Flight distance : 215554 ft
Norway

Check the 3 small springs on rotor plate. If not a snug fit, lift them with a screwdriver.
Saved me from swapping motors.
2016-11-6
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Or replacement propeller lock mechanisms Here
2016-11-6
Use props
djiuser_wiHdqiUGCmQN
lvl.1

Canada

Hello not sure if the thread is still going, but I found the same issue on my p4 I did my own self trouble shooting by trying to isolate the issue.  Below are a brief overview of the steps I look. ( I only had this issue with 1 black prop motor)
1. With spinning motor with prop on as is would wind down I would notice the same sound as the video shows.  
2. With spinning the motor by hand with prop off I never got the same sound even listening right beside I didn’t suspect it was an issue.
3. Hand spinning each motor and feeling resistance and if any grinding (I closed my eyes and did this with much concentration) and still all felt basically the same.
4. Felt the prop on in hand and took apart the quick release, cleaned and inspected it. All was good.
I then noticed all the tabs that push up on the prop some were low compared to other motors.  
With no damage noticed I proceeded too put everything back together but I lifted the tabs slightly. Spun the prop on and no sound! Good luck
2020-3-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules