Osmo (Monitoring Live Audio)
3529 11 2016-9-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mistercapitale
lvl.1

Is there a way to monitor the audio live as you're filming? any method would be appreciated.
2016-9-4
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Sorry, not yet.
2016-9-4
Use props
Camera Ninja
lvl.2
United States

This really needs needs to be updated ASAP. I would really like to record audio directly into the unit and without being to monitor it, there's no way to know if the audio is is good or not. Oh and this would be very helpful when you're live streaming.

While you're "Working on it.," you should checkout some of the software features Magic Lantern provides that most videographers need:

1. Focus Assist
2. Detailed audio meter.
3. Headphone level adjust.
4. Ability to turn AGC on or off

Point being, if you're going to sell this camera to professionals, we need standard pro features.
2016-11-27
Use props
geoffz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1941322 ft
  • >>>
United States

Camera Ninja Posted at 2016-11-27 19:48
This really needs needs to be updated ASAP. I would really like to record audio directly into the un ...

If the Osmo + is to be considered a 'professional' camera platform, dji needs to add crucial functionality.  Like the above mentioned method of monitoring audio plus AGC, left/right channel control and a hand full of other upgrades in order to be taken seriously by filmmakers.
2016-11-27
Use props
Camera Ninja
lvl.2
United States

I shoot a few things using the Yuneec ActionCam, and the Osmo is a way better camera especially in the video department, Hell, the ActionCam doesn't  even have an audio input or the ability to livestream, so with that, the Osmo is a big improvement.
When I looked at the list of features, I thought finally, a company that gets it. I guess in the end, both DJI and Yuneec are drone companies and not camera companies so the priority is always going to be on the drone side of things. The other alternative I thought about was buying a stand alone handheld stabilizer and a 4K mirrorless camera like the Sony Alpha series, but I'm just starting off and I couldn't justify the cost. The $600 camera plus the $400 and counting in accessories was all my budget could take.
2016-11-28
Use props
LensmanDave
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Here is a 'DIY' solution.

cheers

Dave
2016-11-28
Use props
Camera Ninja
lvl.2
United States

I saw it. Unfortunately, I'm trying hard to develop my camera and editing skills, my soldering skills are kind of lacking. I still don't get how this works. Have you actually tried this and does it work? I shouldn't need a degree in engineering just to get my camera to work right, but if it actually works, let me know and I'll  give it a try.
2016-11-28
Use props
Camera Ninja
lvl.2
United States

I think until DJI comes out with a real fix, I'll just stick to my current setup:
Rode mic into the Osmo for reference and live streaming, Tascam DR-40 for higher quality audio that gets synced in Premiere. I think as long as I give my Osmo audio levels enough headroom, I should have some usable audio.
Now if we just add focus
peeking/focus assist, I'll be happy.
I'm thinking of buying by an IPad mini 2. My thought is that the high resolution display will be enough to properly judge focus.

I recently hacked my Kindle and I definitely see a difference, but it's still not good enough. Wondering why I can judge focus and exposure just fine on my entry level Nikon LCD monitor, but not on my huge iPhone or 6 inch tablet.
2016-11-28
Use props
Skint
lvl.2
New Zealand

You could look at something like this, you can't mix levels between the two channels but at least you have a headphone out.

http://www.saramonicusa.com/products/lavmic

You will still have focus issues with a larger screen, the problem lies with compressing the video stream to output it over wifi. Oddly a simple USB socket on the Osmo would solve that and increase battery life.
2016-11-29
Use props
Camera Ninja
lvl.2
United States

I know right. The DJI controller for their drones all have USB out, why couldn't they add a small USB port to the Osmo handle? If they had done that, we would have a better viewfinder and it would leave wifi open for streaming. I doubt a USB or hdmi port would have added much to the cost or weight of the unit. I know there's now a hdmi add on for their controllers, I wonder if DJI could do the same thing for the Osmo handle?
2016-11-29
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Camera Ninja Posted at 2016-11-30 00:47
I know right. The DJI controller for their drones all have USB out, why couldn't they add a small US ...

Sorry, not for this generation of Osmo product. It was not designed with that in mind.
2016-11-30
Use props
Camera Ninja
lvl.2
United States

So is that to suggest that an Osmo 2 will be introduced soon?
2016-11-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules