Any tips when flying above scyscrappers?
861 9 2016-9-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
PopArt
lvl.2

Poland

Hi everyone!

I am certified pilot with 2y experience however tommorow I have job that require flying in the very center of big city where there is a lot of scyscrappers that I need to film (150m and higher). I will start from the platform that is lcoated on 32 floor in one of the building. I am wondering if any of you where operating the drone this way or fly in such crowded area. Any advice? Is there really a high risk of loosing signal because of the interfrence from many antenas, wi-fi and others? Is there any other threats I should take into account before start?

I am planing to:
- setting RTH attitude as the highest obstacle in the area
- do not fly behind the buildings to prevent loosing signal
- is the radio signal range dicreased in that kind of areas ?

Any tips and advice from experienced pilots are very welcomed :-)

Best regards!

2016-9-6
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

You are standing on a platform of a skyscraper among other skyscrapers and there's probably several thousand WiFi internet routers very close to you.
personally I would not do a flight like that, there is too much that can happen and one mistake and the aircraft hits the side of a building and goes tumbling down and kills someone. Unless your job has the budget to clear the streets below which I doubt.

2016-9-6
Use props
Adam Flurk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 425466 ft
United States

I have had some trouble with interference flying in Orlando around tall buildings.. I've flown from the ground and from the top of parking garages... and every time its nerve racking. My recommendation is to start from the ground and keep it as close as possible in lateral distance. Wind can be much different at higher altitudes (as I'm sure you're already aware). Let us know how it works out!
2016-9-6
Use props
PopArt
lvl.2

Poland

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-9-6 22:58
You are standing on a platform of a skyscraper among other skyscrapers and there's probably several  ...

I guess I didin't explain in details where I will be standing during start and landing. It is rather a terace which is located almost on the roof on the 32 floor of the bulding - there is just one technical floor aside. Generally I will be on the roof with no obstacles in radius 50m.

In radius 200 m there are no higher buldings than the one I will be stand on and operate.

Whole flight I am planing to be right above myself (no obstacles in radius 50 m) and filming from the attitude 30m above me so nothing will be aside the drone. I also start the flight at 6 oclock in the morning so the offices will be empty then and there will be less than ussual interference.

Still unacceptable? I guess it is safer than flying from the ground and manouver between buldings

2016-9-6
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Adam Flurk Posted at 2016-9-7 05:04
I have had some trouble with interference flying in Orlando around tall buildings.. I've flown from  ...

That's the other big issue I forgot to mention. That high up with several buildings right next to each other is going to be a huge wind variance.
2016-9-6
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

PopArt Posted at 2016-9-7 05:07
I guess I didin't explain in details where I will be standing during start and landing. It is rath ...

I understood you were flying from a terrace, it's just something I wouldn't do. BUT I'm sure there's tons of people that would have no problem with it.
2016-9-6
Use props
PopArt
lvl.2

Poland

Thanks for warning. I picked the day very carefully - almost no wind tommorow  - 3km/h. Clear and birght wheater here in Poland with some african air mass for a few days. Wind is not my concern but the intgerference mainly. check out the picture and tell what you think....
photo.jpg
2016-9-6
Use props
PopArt
lvl.2

Poland

After what you just said I double checkd the area and there is a pretty big park near this bulding so maybe it is a good alternative after all to start from the ground and do the flight from there. However I will be very limited to onyl going up and smaller radius in comparison to starting from the roof with nothing above me ...
Zrzut ekranu 2016-09-06 o 23.25.59.png
2016-9-6
Use props
PopArt
lvl.2

Poland

Everything went fine!!!!

2016-9-7
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team