[size=14.6667px][color=rgb(112, 21, 32) !important]
[size=14.6667px]

2016-9-6
Use props
gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

Yeowww!  It's been a while since I had the reflexes and reaction times to try anything like that!  (yeah, old fart walkin' here!)  

While very entertaining I wouldn't want to be around to witness the resulting carnage when one of those racing rockets deviates from an intended flight path and rips into some poor sucker!
2016-9-6
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha red,

More like Phantom C.  That is what you get when Carlos mods a Phantom for racing.  The guy is amazing.  I know you put the R for racing, but I think the C for Carlos is more appropriate since it is his talent that is pulling this video off.

It looks like they worked on a whole bunch of them.  He flies great! But seems to have a hard time landing with landing gear.  How do you like those giant loops, unreal!

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-9-7
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

gil Posted at 2016-9-7 14:19
Yeowww!  It's been a while since I had the reflexes and reaction times to try anything like that!  ( ...

Aloha gil,

That is Carlos flying that modified Phantom.  Others might cause carnage, but Carlos has amazing reflexes and reactions as you noted.  Highly unlikely he is going to crash into someone.  Other racers maybe, but not likely Carlos.  How did you like those giant loops!  Amazing!

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-9-7
Use props
无名的小壹
lvl.1

Hong Kong

cool,Amazing ,thanks sharing!!
2016-9-7
Use props
pi-inthesky
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13058 ft

WOW brilliant controlled flying   

Will have to have try out waypoints some time
2016-9-7
Use props
Rex59
lvl.3
Flight distance : 24354 ft
United States

This guys' flying skills are just SICK!
2016-9-7
Use props
CREATOR62
lvl.2
Flight distance : 183855 ft
United States

Rex59 Posted at 2016-9-7 09:41
This guys' flying skills are just SICK!

What engines are you using?
2016-9-7
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

Just Incredible flying skills , I admit I do not have this but full Kudos to those who do ....WOW

donnie
2016-9-7
Use props
roymoon
lvl.3
Flight distance : 143901 ft
United States

I predict a tree in his future.
2016-9-7
Use props
Maxi3D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

Does DJI sponsors a racing team? If not, why not? I was at an AMA racing event last weekend, no DJI logo.
2016-9-7
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Maxi3D Posted at 2016-9-8 07:21
Does DJI sponsors a racing team? If not, why not? I was at an AMA racing event last weekend, no DJI  ...

No, DJI are not in the racing quad market. Why should they sponsor?
2016-9-7
Use props
Maxi3D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-9-7 18:07
No, DJI are not in the racing quad market. Why should they sponsor?

I disagree, Honda is not in the high-end sports car business and yet they do have an F1 team.
2016-9-7
Use props
alanafowlersr
New

United States

WOW that is sick!
2016-9-7
Use props
04red6
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5484997 ft
United States

Cetaman Posted at 2016-9-7 04:08
Aloha red,

More like Phantom C.  That is what you get when Carlos mods a Phantom for racing.   ...

His video is titled Phantom R, so that is what I used.
2016-9-7
Use props
Adam Flurk
Second Officer
Flight distance : 425466 ft
United States

Cetaman Posted at 2016-9-7 04:13
Aloha gil,

That is Carlos flying that modified Phantom.  Others might cause carnage, but Car ...

I think you are confusing Mr. Steele with Carlos Puertolas. The videos that were originally posted show Mr. Steele with his modded Phantom 2 shell.

Carlos is great tho. Here is one of my favorite videos of his:
2016-9-7
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Adam Flurk Posted at 2016-9-8 11:15
I think you are confusing Mr. Steele with Carlos Puertolas. The videos that were originally posted ...

Aloha Adam,

Yes, I did get them mixed up.  But, I had to get them in the same photo to tell them apart.  I thought Mr. Steele was an alias for Charpu to better keep his identity since Charpu works for DreamWorks.  Steele wears a handlebar mustache upon occasion, so I thought it was part of a disguise.  But, I was wrong and as you showed not about his amazing flying!  I think Charpu was also in that DJI video at the beginning, but since he flies for Lumenier he could not be identified.  (If I had thought of that, I would not have made the mistake.)

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-9-7
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

04red6 Posted at 2016-9-8 10:41
His video is titled Phantom R, so that is what I used.

Aloha red,

Oh, yeah, second video and as Adam noted, it is Mr. Steele, not Carlos aka Charpu.  Still amazing flying for both of them!

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-9-7
Use props
imagesbyjas
lvl.4
Flight distance : 286198 ft

You gotta wonder how many crashes it takes to finally get that good!  :-)
2016-9-7
Use props
gil
Second Officer
United States

imagesbyjas Posted at 2016-9-8 01:37

I counted seven...
2016-9-8
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

imagesbyjas Posted at 2016-9-7 22:37

Aloha jas,

Really, but they do not even flinch at it.  And the quads they fly are very survivable (Lumenier).  In one video Charpu runs smack into a 15" diameter tree trunk.  He changes a couple props and is up racing around again.  Unbelievable!

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-9-8
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

gil Posted at 2016-9-8 15:16
I counted seven... https://youtu.be/QgrvrD_GOvg

Aloha gil,

The last one looks two views of the same crash, but it still does not phase them.  Get up and go again!

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-9-8
Use props
gil
Second Officer
United States

Cetaman Posted at 2016-9-8 18:27
Aloha gil,

The last one looks two views of the same crash, but it still does not phase them. ...

We certainly know the cameras are tough little suckers to keep working after a crash!  Would have been nice to have seen what the whole quad looked like after each and how many parts needed to be replaced.
2016-9-8
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

gil Posted at 2016-9-8 15:32
We certainly know the cameras are tough little suckers to keep working after a crash!  Would have  ...

Aloha gil,

Those little suckers are tough.  I saw Charpu fly straight into a 15 inch diameter tree trunk at 45-50 mph.  It bounced back and all he had to do is change a couple props.  If you look at the design, they are made to crash at high speed and survive.  The camera placement is very protected and the cameras they use are very sturdy, not like ours or even GoPros.  They used to put GoPros on them for high resolution videos, but now their flying cameras are recording 1080p at 60 fps.  Their goggles are still low resolution, but even then they have the best goggles with the best available resolution.  They use analog goggles because they have less lag than digital, but I still doubt that they are 720p true yet.  The highest price Fat Shark goggles availble are only 800X600 (Dominator HD2).  That is what I have and the resolution is not very good.  The HD is not High Definition.

It also does not hurt that they fly for manufacturers.  Like Charpu flies for Lumenier.  Lumenier makes high end, very crash resistant products and they are the market leader.  They are like, "Go crash a few times so we can figure out how to make it better!" and, "Here have another new one! Just let us know how you crashed it.  Any ideas on how to make it better?"

BTW, there is no way I can fly anywhere near like that (certainly today).  Maybe after tons of practice over a year.  I have tried and I need a major mental realignment!  Wearing the Fat Shark goggles and going fast do not work for me and I do not see it happening any time soon.  That is why I got the HeadPlay HD goggles (I know what I cannot do).  But, I have not flown the 250 FPV with the new goggles yet.  I guess it is all an evolution.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-9-9
Use props
Sing Chu
lvl.1
United States

gil Posted at 2016-9-8 14:16

That’s a lot of crashes
2018-1-28
Use props
Sing Chu
lvl.1
United States

gil Posted at 2016-9-8 14:16

That’s a lot of crashes
2018-1-28
Use props
Air/America
Second Officer

United States

Adam Flurk Posted at 2016-9-7 19:15
I think you are confusing Mr. Steele with Carlos Puertolas. The videos that were originally posted show Mr. Steele with his modded Phantom 2 shell.

Carlos is great tho. Here is one of my favorite videos of his:

I think the FAA should redress their rules position on Part 107, specifically the rule on VLOS. The prohibition rule on flight beyond VLOS seems quite antiquated now when one "sees" the precision flying capabilities using FPV alone.

SUMMARY OF SMALL UNMANNED AIRCRAFT RULE (PART 107) Operational Limitations

Visual line-of-sight (VLOS) only; the unmanned aircraft must
remain within VLOS of the remote pilot in command and the
person manipulating the flight controls of the small UAS.
Alternatively, the unmanned aircraft must remain with
in VLOS of the visual observer.

At all times the small unmanned aircraft must remain close
enough to the remote pilot in command and the person
manipulating the flight controls of the small UAS for those
people to be capable of seeing the aircraft with vis
ion unaided by any device other than corrective lenses.

2018-1-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules