Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Managing sound
1183 8 2016-9-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
joshuanicholas1
lvl.3
Hong Kong

Hey All!

So I'm going to go to a concert next weekend and I would love to film it with my OSMO!, I know the build in mic is pretty bad, so I will be attaching my RODE Videomic Go along with it. My question is since there isn't a way to monitor your audio while recording, how would I know if my audio being recieved is too loud? or if its too soft, how can I tell if the audio receieved into the osmo is "Perfect"? Anyone have experience recording in this senario or even audio in general?

Thanks in advance!
2016-9-7
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

There's an audio level meter that you can monitor.
A good test would be to crank up the music in your house and play with different audio recording levels to see how it plays back.Go into the Mic Control tab and adjust the Mic gain and watch the audio level at the same time and you should be able to get a good sound that's not too loud or soft.
2016-9-7
Use props
LenMiddx
Second Officer
United Kingdom

As Ken says, there's only the audio level meter to play with, so you'll need to experiment beforehand.

The Osmo is not very good at recoding sound as:

(a) You can't monitor it except via the level display
(b) You will not know about any extraneous noise from whatever source -- especially wind noise.
(c) There are no limiters or AGC, so if you get a sudden loud noise, your audio is going to clip.
(d) Depending on where the microphone is positioned, you may pick up the noise from the gimbal motors
(e) It's mono only

So just do your best

(Is this recording going to be just for your own interest?)

The filming itself should be OK -- but remember that every so often (9 minutes at 4K), you will lose 2 seconds of sound and vision when the Osmo closes the current file and starts a new one -- so try and stop/start every few minutes when convenient. There is, in any case, a limit of 30 minutes per 'take'.

Last week I needed good sound to go with my Osmo video ....... so I didn't record it on an Osmo.

ms_sil.jpg
2016-9-7
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

LenMiddx Posted at 2016-9-8 02:06
As Ken says, there's only the audio level meter to play with, so you'll need to experiment beforehan ...

Great suggestions.
And nice setup.
2016-9-7
Use props
joshuanicholas1
lvl.3
Hong Kong

Ah! Thanks for the comment, I'll try that out later today. And yes it only for personal memories

What setup is that btw?
2016-9-7
Use props
LenMiddx
Second Officer
United Kingdom

joshuanicholas1 Posted at 2016-9-8 05:40
Ah! Thanks for the comment, I'll try that out later today. And yes it only for personal memories {:4 ...

"...What setup is that btw?...".

I wanted to record a presentation from an archaeological excavation on my Osmo.

To capture the sound that I wanted, the presenter, who was moving about, carried a radio mic. This gives a clear voice recording with little extraneous sound.

Providing a stereo ambience (which is what you see there) was a pair of small diaphragm condenser microphones in a mid-side configuration sitting in a blimp (removing the effects of wind gusts -- which the observation platform is prone to).

The three tracks were then recorded together, along with safety tracks.

The Osmo had a TentacleSync (synced to the recorder's time-code) attached to it to allow the sound and video to be matched together in post.

A useful configuration for doing what I wanted to do — but not something you'd carry around for everyday use.

Incidentally, the Osmo is capable of recording quite good mono sound — but you have to get the microphone away from the Osmo, and realize that your control over the results is somewhat limited.

Many people on this forum have been asking for the ability to monitor the sound through headphones/earbuds, which would be a help if you have the option of re-recording a bad take. Maybe the Osmo Mk III or IV might have it.
2016-9-8
Use props
joshuanicholas1
lvl.3
Hong Kong

For sound monitoring, won't it also be possible to create an adapter for headphones and also update the DJI go app, so that the feature is possible?  
2016-9-8
Use props
joshuanicholas1
lvl.3
Hong Kong

Also, thanks for answering my question about your setup!
2016-9-8
Use props
p.groom1
lvl.3
United Kingdom

with a Rode Video mic in  a concert your "memories" will be how awful the audio recording is.
Peter
2016-9-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules