Wifi on the Standard, one way or two way?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
wmcvey
Second Officer
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

I'm hoping that someone that's very tech savvy knows the answer to this. Maybe a DJI rep that's knowledgeable about the Phantom 3 Standard technology would have some input.
If your someone that just wants it to work and doesn't care about the how and why, need not read any farther.

I've read in a thread somewhere, that all inputs from the controller are sent to the bird via 5.8, we all agree there. But here's the rub, inputs from the device cell/tablet (recording, taking a pic, RTH, setting RTH height, changing the Home Point location) are sent to the bird via wifi 2.4. In other words, is the controller just acting as a repeater for the device. Or does the controller take the info from the device via wifi 2.4 and then transmit it to the bird via the controller's 5.8. Are we certain that the wifi in our standards controller only receive data, and never transmit anything via 2.4.

I'm not saying I know the answer to this question just bring it up for discussion. Wi-Fi is a two-way communication technology, just like the wireless routers in our home they transmit data to our devices and in return our devices transmit data back to the internet via the router. Also being the Wi-Fi is a two-way handshake and request of any missing or corrupt data package to be retransmitted, isn't the two-way communication already taking place on a low-level. And being our devices are connected via Wi-Fi to the remote, it wouldn't be that much of a stretch to think it could continue on using Wi-Fi technology.
For those of us that want to or have modify our controllers the how and why are important thinks to know.

2016-9-8
Use props
kirk2579
Second Officer
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

the standard does have a wifi repeater inside the RC...
2.4 for telemetry and data
2016-9-8
Use props
wmcvey
Second Officer
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

kirk2579@aol.co Posted at 2016-9-8 11:53
the standard does have a wifi repeater inside the RC...
2.4 for telemetry and data

Yes for receiving that data from the drone and sending it to the cell or tablet. But I'm trying to determine if any data or instructions are sent the other way via wifi, from device to controller to drone by wifi 2.4. Before anyone says something about the RC being 5.8, I'm acknowledging the RC switches and stick inputs are sent via the RC's 5.8. It's the Go app inputs or setting I'm questioning.
2016-9-8
Use props
kirk2579
Second Officer
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

wmcvey Posted at 2016-9-8 13:04
Yes for receiving that data from the drone and sending it to the cell or tablet. But I'm trying to  ...

if they simply moved the repeater from outside the RC ( Phantom 2 Vision Plus) to inside the RC I would say the com is 2 way via wifi.

that's my guess based upon fact the P2 Plus did not have any connection between the actual RC and the wifi module. they both had separate batteries etc. and were easily swapped when they overheated and died..
2016-9-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules