Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
OSMO Mobile and IPhone 6s PLUS Doesn't work well ?
2146032436 2146032436 2016-9-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
aGmglCymCK4k
First Officer
Flight distance : 299708 ft
Canada

So as per the latest review

Iphone 6S

Iphone 6S PLUS ( Issue is due to Image Stabilization )

2016-9-8
Use props
iangoldberg71
lvl.1

ugh... now im nervous, i have a 6+ and my osmo mobile is arriving today!
2016-9-8
Use props
iangoldberg71
lvl.1

Just got mine up and running with my 6+ and everything seems buttery smooth for me

To be fair i have only played back footage on my phone and its entirely possible i might notice some jitteryness when i transfer to a larger screen... but as of now everything seems perfect
2016-9-8
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Can you try flashlight mode and see if this video helps.
Also, i have not tried a 6s+ with optical image stabilization. Is there a setting to disable it?

2016-9-8
Use props
aGmglCymCK4k
First Officer
Canada

As per the youtube comment, there is no way to disable image stabilization
2016-9-8
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

aGmglCymCK4k Posted at 2016-9-9 05:10
As per the youtube comment, there is no way to disable image stabilization

I didn't hear, I just scanned the video.
Are you able to test the same way you did the first video. I want to compare two videos framed the same.
I do not have a 6s+ to test on.
2016-9-8
Use props
jamesburchell
lvl.4
Flight distance : 9987 ft
United Kingdom

I'm assuming this will be the same with the 7 plus. Damn it. My mobile might be winging its way straight back to DJI no sooner than it arrives on Monday if it doesn't stabilise properly.
2016-9-8
Use props
nwoodman
New

Australia

Ouch!  Is it possible to get some official  word on this via this forum.  I am expecting mine this afternoon and then I am off for 3 weeks vacation tomorrow

Confirmed by DJI and they are blaming Apple -

"Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting DJI Support.

We are very sorry to see about this issue. Although we can confirm the issue with the iPhone 6s Plus, it is up to Apple to be able to turn of this image stabilization.

Thank you for choosing DJI.
Best regards,

DJI Support EU"
2016-9-8
Use props
Daley
lvl.3
Flight distance : 197953 ft

nwoodman Posted at 2016-9-9 07:21
Ouch!  Is it possible to get some official  word on this via this forum.  I am expecting mine this a ...

What about this review by iPhonedo

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G9zR4z5Lo_w

He uses an iPhone6S Plus and the footage is fantastic.

I think what most people are expecting is to get movie quality stabilization out of one of these gimbals.  These stabilizers will only do so much...the rest will be in the way you walk and hold your device.  It takes practice to get rid of the 'bob' in the movies.  If you don't want to work at it then buy a Ronin setup with a RED camera.  It should only put you back about 10-15k.
I'm sure if he puts the 6s and 6splus footage side by side he will see the same 'bob' effect.
2016-9-8
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Daley Posted at 2016-9-9 07:47
What about this review by iPhonedo

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G9zR4z5Lo_w

I agree and I was asking for a side by side comparison.
That's why I posted the video on correct walking technique.
I have not tried a phone that has it's own optical image stabilization yet, so I can report back when I do.
2016-9-8
Use props
aGmglCymCK4k
First Officer
Canada

So both of the video is done by the same person. Here is his youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWUlsqh_Dvx8FbaPCZZECrw where you can see few more videos with 6s Plus

2016-9-8
Use props
godlessglen
New
Flight distance : 8556 ft
United States

I am so pissed off. How unprofessional of DJI to release the Osmo mobile to the public without letting us know there is an issue. Surely they run tests on it before dropping it. Mine will be getting shipped back.
It's a shame because this is a really cool device but my video looks awful.
2016-9-8
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

godlessglen@gma Posted at 2016-9-9 00:57
I am so pissed off. How unprofessional of DJI to release the Osmo mobile to the public without letti ...

Wait, you have the same issue as depicted in the video? What device are you using?
2016-9-9
Use props
m.powley
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1535 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I am still waiting for my Osmo Mobile to ship, however this topic has me worried. I just reserved an iPhone 7 and since this has optical image stabilization too this thread suggests like we need a way for this to be disabled in DJI Go or for Apple to provide it...?

Do I attempt to cancel my Osmo Mobile, send it straight back or keep my iPhone 6S?! This is not a happy thread to read. Any more feedback from users?

Thanks,

Mark
2016-9-9
Use props
boothy
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-9-9 09:28
Wait, you have the same issue as depicted in the video? What device are you using?

Here is a full review of the osmo mobile set-up with the iPhone 6s plus,
2016-9-9
Use props
Daley
lvl.3
Flight distance : 197953 ft
United States

boothy Posted at 2016-9-9 18:52
Here is a full review of the osmo mobile set-up with the iPhone 6s plus, https://www.youtube.com/w ...

Boothy,

The easiest way to prove your point would be to put the iPhone 6S on the Osmo mobile and walk and run with it.  Then do the same thing for an iPhone 6s Plus.  Put the videos side by side and share.

I've watched just about every youtube video out there on the Osmo mobile with phones that have ranged from iPhones to Samsungs and they all have had great results with a small amount of 'bob'.  I just watched one with a S7 which has optical stabilization and the video was great. You can watch it below

I am not saying you are wrong, its just that there's a lot of other data out there that speaks otherwise.  If you can do that comparison that would be great, and if the two are different I will admit defeat.
2016-9-9
Use props
SoNiK
lvl.1
Flight distance : 183248 ft
Italy

I've ordered mine 3 days ago, but after seeing this thread I have to admit that I'm lucky to own an iPhone 6.
Don't get me wrong...I've just watched almost every video or review of Osmo Mobile and apart from the iPhoneDo review where the results looks "almost" perfect (and it uses an iPhone 6s Plus); other reviews filmed by user looks more "realistic" and "trustable".

Boothy thanks a lot for your precious video because in my opinion you're right about ois/heaviness. The strange thing is that after disabling the OIS in Filmic Pro, there's still some "bob" effect, and you're not even running. In my opinion the final perfect comparison test would be walking outside using both Filmic Pro latest version 5.3 and DJI app, using both and iPhone 6s and a 6s Plus.

In the latest video link posted by Daley, the Galaxy S7 that has OIS and weight 152 grams (5.36 ounces) still have a little "bob" effect.

If we analyze both scenario, it looks like that both OIS system and not the heaviness affect the final result, and that's because the S7 weight is almost identical to the one of iPhone 6s but this one doesn't have OIS. Here is a quick weight comparison:

Weight Comparison:

iPhone 6s         - 5.04 ounces (143 grams)
iPhone 6s Plus  - 6.77 ounces (192 grams)

iPhone 7           - 4.87 ounces (138 grams)
iPhone 7s Plus  - 6.63 ounces (188 grams)

Galaxy S7         - 5.36 ounces (152 grams)
Galaxy Note 7   - 5.96 ounces (169 grams)

Here is an interesting video review with the Note 7. Go to minute 11:15...

And here is the second part that shows that the bad OIS of the Oneplus 3 is main reason why the video has the bob effect. The weight is 5.57 ounces (158 grams)

2016-9-9
Use props
godlessglen
New
Flight distance : 8556 ft
United States

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-9-9 16:28

iPhone 6 plus. I also tried on iPhone 6 and the footage looks good on it but bad on the 6 plus.
2016-9-9
Use props
jamesburchell
lvl.4
United Kingdom

The marketing text on the site clearly names the iPhone 6S Plus as being one phone that the DJI Osmo Mobile works with, so one would assume they've tested it before release with that particular phone. The iPhoneDo review on Youtube has excellent footage but I have to agree some of the others on here don't look right. Could they be faulty units or is there actually a problem with the Apple 'Plus' phones. Would be nice to know I am awaiting my iPhone 7 plus to come and the Osmo Mobile may well be getting returned as not fit for purpose if it doesn't work as stated....
For the record though, I don't want to return it, I really want it to work as well with my new phone as it does with my iPhone 6.
2016-9-9
Use props
jamesburchell
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Just found this too
http://myfirstdrone.com/osmo/5-reasons-why-the-iphone-7-plus-and-dji-osmo-are-perfect-together/
2016-9-9
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

jamesburchell Posted at 2016-9-10 04:56
The marketing text on the site clearly names the iPhone 6S Plus as being one phone that the DJI Osmo ...

I did try on a 6s+ yesterday evening and it looks fine but where I tested it I cannot provide the footage.
I will post some videos next week from home with it.
The optical image stabilization just may need a little more work walking than not. I used a iPhone 6, 6s+, and Samsung S6, and they all came out about the same.

It really is the walking technique that can make the difference.
2016-9-9
Use props
jamesburchell
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-9-9 22:14
I did try on a 6s+ yesterday evening and it looks fine but where I tested it I cannot provide the  ...

Good to know Ken. Hopefully its not a major issue with OIS as both iPhone 7 models come with it.
2016-9-9
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

jamesburchell Posted at 2016-9-10 05:22
Good to know Ken. Hopefully its not a major issue with OIS as both iPhone 7 models come with it.

No problem.
Also, some Osmo users say using flashlight mode gives them the most stable footage.
2016-9-9
Use props
SoNiK
lvl.1
Italy

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-9-9 23:23
No problem.
Also, some Osmo users say using flashlight mode gives them the most stable footage.

This is interesting, but why don't you release a new version of the app with the toggle to enable/disable OIS?

If we look at Filmic Pro, they have this function and maybe this is not something that Apple have to fix, but it's more app related.

Maybe I'm wrong but I'm trying to consider every aspect of this "problem".
2016-9-9
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

SoNiK Posted at 2016-9-10 09:47
This is interesting, but why don't you release a new version of the app with the toggle to enable/ ...

The OIS is Apple's feature, not DJI's.
Like I said, I did a quick test with the 6s+ and it worked fine.
I will post a video next week.
2016-9-9
Use props
AKloaWV8CTgM
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1630453 ft

I can't agree on that. The wobbling is clearly visible at 6:56 and pay attention on the mountain in the beackground. It's the same wobbling I know from my iPhone 6S+ so I don't thinks it's a glitch of the Osmo. However DJI should seek out for a solution together with Apple for disabling the OIS of the iPhone 6S+/7+ while using the Osmo. Simply blaming Apple makes Osmo Mobile a bad product in combination with a OIS device.
2016-9-10
Use props
CiaranMcGrenera
lvl.1

Ireland

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-9-10 03:32
The OIS is Apple's feature, not DJI's.
Like I said, I did a quick test with the 6s+ and it worked  ...

Surely if Filmic can include an option in their app to turn off the OIS, then DJI can do the same?
2016-9-10
Use props
Marco Cantieni
lvl.3
Germany

CiaranMcGrenera Posted at 2016-9-10 18:54
Surely if Filmic can include an option in their app to turn off the OIS, then DJI can do the same?

Filmic isn't using the device OIS but their own. Easy to see when you activate it in Filmic. The screen is cropped slightly.
2016-9-10
Use props
jamesburchell
lvl.4
United Kingdom

It does need sorting one way or another with the new iPhones both having OIS in them.
2016-9-10
Use props
SoNiK
lvl.1
Italy

jamesburchell Posted at 2016-9-10 15:22
It does need sorting one way or another with the new iPhones both having OIS in them.

Totally correct and I agree. I fortunately own an iPhone 6 but want to sell it and uograde to 7+...i really hope in a workaround, because as someone already said, DJI is big enough to try talk with Apple.
2016-9-10
Use props
derekoneill99
First Officer
  • >>>
Ireland

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-9-9 22:14
I did try on a 6s+ yesterday evening and it looks fine but where I tested it I cannot provide the  ...

Hi Ken, hope you can help me here. I got my new Osmo mobile, but it  just goes limp after a couple of minutes.
Samsung S6 is the phone I use for the Osmo.
2016-9-10
Use props
Marco Cantieni
lvl.3

derekoneill99 Posted at 2016-9-11 00:32
Hi Ken, hope you can help me here. I got my new Osmo mobile, but it  just goes limp after a couple ...

I asume you've have charged the battery properly before?
2016-9-10
Use props
derekoneill99
First Officer
  • >>>
Ireland

Marco Cantieni Posted at 2016-9-10 18:58
I asume you've have charged the battery properly before?

Looks like it's working now.very strange
2016-9-10
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

derekoneill99 Posted at 2016-9-11 00:32
Hi Ken, hope you can help me here. I got my new Osmo mobile, but it  just goes limp after a couple ...

It should not go limp after a few minutes.
2016-9-10
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

derekoneill99 Posted at 2016-9-11 02:31
Looks like it's working now.very strange

Glad it's working now, you have the battery fully charged correct?
2016-9-10
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

CiaranMcGrenera Posted at 2016-9-10 18:54

If Apple doesn't allow you to enable/disable the OIS, then the GO app wouldn't be able to.

Update:  The R&D came to conclusion of the issue, it's not because of OIS conflict, (The stabailization  off option for Filmic Pro is just turning the software stabilization off, not the OIS of the phone), it's simply becasue of the weight of iPhone 6s+ making Osmo Mobile more difficult to stabilize on Z-axis. So with 6s+, you need to ninja walk to have a  good video.
2016-9-10
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

jamesburchell Posted at 2016-9-10 21:22

I tried a quick video on the 6s+ and it worked fine. I will post a video next week.
2016-9-10
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

SoNiK Posted at 2016-9-10 23:32
Totally correct and I agree. I fortunately own an iPhone 6 but want to sell it and uograde to 7+.. ...

I tried a quick video on the 6s+ and it worked fine. I will post a video next week.
2016-9-10
Use props
derekoneill99
First Officer
  • >>>
Ireland

Osmo mobile has started to go limp again after a few minutes. Battery is fully charged
2016-9-10
Use props
Mad_Angler1
Captain
Flight distance : 2741657 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

derekoneill99 Posted at 2016-9-10 23:49
Osmo mobile has started to go limp again after a few minutes. Battery is fully charged

Any errors almost sounds like motor overload , you balanced correctly ?
2016-9-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules