Osmo Mobile: Need Larger Holder
8822 15 2016-9-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
johnlega
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Just got my Osmo Mobile and I was really hoping to fit my iPhone 6+ with the following case into the holder:

http://ztylus.com/collections/z- ... hone-6-plus-6s-plus

I don't mind removing a standard case when I use the Osmo but this case allows  you to attach lenses. Without it - you can't attach them.

I thought perhaps I could make (or have made) a lightweight adapter that will allow for a slightly wider phone and deeper (see my sketch below - sorry for poor quality).

How much more weight will the Osmo support above and beyond the iPhone 6+? Anyone with a 3D Printer like to have a stab at it?

It would sure be great to be able to use those (2) lenses.

Thanks all,

John

The black holder is the original Osmo Holder.

The black holder is the original Osmo Holder.
2016-9-8
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

The cradle is made to hold your phone without a case unless you have one of those super slim cases.
Also, when do do figure out how to attach a lens, be careful as you are throwing the balance off on the tilt motor and if the motor gets too hot you may damage it.
Same with trying to make a larger adapter, that will severely throw off the tilt balance.
If you want to test for yourself, you can make your phone off balance and you can see how hot the roll motor gets.
The gimbal really needs to be as balanced as possible for proper stabilization and long life.
2016-9-8
Use props
johnlega
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-9-8 11:21
The cradle is made to hold your phone without a case unless you have one of those super slim cases.

Thanks for your reply. Yes I agree - I don't want to damage it in any way. It's too bad because all I really need is another 1/8" between the arms to properly hold the phone - it's not much. I think that even if the rubber pads were not there - it would fit. I'll see if I can temporarily attach the lens to the bare phone and at least see if I can balance it with the weight of the lens. If not - then the adapter would really be out of the question.
2016-9-8
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

johnlega@gmail. Posted at 2016-9-9 00:32
Thanks for your reply. Yes I agree - I don't want to damage it in any way. It's too bad because al ...

There is no tilt balance adjustment so with the lens added it will not balance.
If it just barely pitches forward with the Osmo off then it may be ok but you need to keep feeling the tilt motor. But my guess is it's going to pitch a good amount.
Not my recommendation but you maybe can tape a coin to the back bottom of the phone or gimbal to balance.
2016-9-8
Use props
y5Ox0asih6f6
lvl.2

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-9-9 01:15
There is no tilt balance adjustment so with the lens added it will not balance.
If it just barely  ...

What is the maximum thickness that the cradle will hold? With the battery life of the Osmo Mobile being approx 4 hours I am looking to extend the battery life of my phone with a Battery Case. I currently am using a Mophie Juice Pack Air on my iPhone SE and it is just a bit over 15mm thick.
2016-9-8
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

y5Ox0asih6f6 Posted at 2016-9-9 05:30
What is the maximum thickness that the cradle will hold? With the battery life of the Osmo Mobile  ...

It will not even come close to fitting with your cover, that thickness is close to double the thickness of the opening.
2016-9-8
Use props
MuchMitchies
lvl.2

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-9-9 05:59
It will not even come close to fitting with your cover, that thickness is close to double the thic ...

Thank you. Your very prompt reply is much appreciated. Although it didn't deter me from my purchase. Maybe the max cradle dimensions in length width and depth should be listed in the spec list of the Osmo Mobile as suppose to "Mobile Phone Width" range? I'm sure there is a reason as to why it's not listed that way?

Also what is the maximum Thickness?
2016-9-8
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

MuchMitchies Posted at 2016-9-9 06:31
Thank you. Your very prompt reply is much appreciated. Although it didn't deter me from my purchase ...

The specs page does lest the max width of the phone.
It's advised to use it without a case so most any late model smart phone will fit based on thickness.
I just measured and the thickness is 7.5mm of the slot but the soft rubber can be opened to 8mm.http://www.dji.com/osmo-mobile/info#specs
2016-9-8
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

To OP, the reason that DJI doesn't make it thicker is simple. If it does, some slim phones can't be hold tightly, so it has to settle on an average width of phones on the market.

2016-9-9
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

MuchMitchies Posted at 2016-9-9 06:31
Thank you. Your very prompt reply is much appreciated. Although it didn't deter me from my purchase ...

The opening will not snug your phone with added battery tightly, you might be able pull it off with some ruber bands holding the corners of the phone to the gimbal. Most phones should do two hours of continuous shooting fine. I would probably prefer a battery pack solution than the added weight on the gimbal. Or go for phones that can change batteries, like LG G5
2016-9-9
Use props
djiuser_1ghI1lv
New
Malaysia

so if i have 8.2 mm phone (huawei mate 10) i need to remove the grayish rubber right?
2017-12-4
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

johnlega@gmail. Posted at 2016-9-8 08:32
Thanks for your reply. Yes I agree - I don't want to damage it in any way. It's too bad because all I really need is another 1/8" between the arms to properly hold the phone - it's not much. I think that even if the rubber pads were not there - it would fit. I'll see if I can temporarily attach the lens to the bare phone and at least see if I can balance it with the weight of the lens. If not - then the adapter would really be out of the question.

There are counter balances for Osmo Mobile available.
Just a minute
2017-12-5
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Found it.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/10 ... ith-dji-osmo-mobile
2017-12-5
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

y5Ox0asih6f6 Posted at 2016-9-8 13:30
What is the maximum thickness that the cradle will hold? With the battery life of the Osmo Mobile being approx 4 hours I am looking to extend the battery life of my phone with a Battery Case. I currently am using a Mophie Juice Pack Air on my iPhone SE and it is just a bit over 15mm thick.

Did you get it to work?
2017-12-5
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

y5Ox0asih6f6 Posted at 2016-9-8 13:30

Did you get it to work?
2017-12-5
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Sorry, double post.
2017-12-5
Use props
Advanced