Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
phantom 3 ridiculously limited range
1955 14 2016-9-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Barbara
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hi guys,

I have been flying with a phantom 3, and over the last few months the range at which it starts shouting at me 'weak signal' followed by 'no signal' is getting shorter and shorter.
Now it's even shouting weak signal at 15 metres distance. Today I flew 26 metres away from me and it freaked out, saying there was no signal and was returning home.  

I haven't upgraded the firmware yet so will do that now but posting anyway just in case people know what the best solution is (other than the firmware upgrade which is the only thing I can try)

Many thanks.

2016-9-10
Use props
roger.crawford
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41568 ft
United States

Might want to specify which flavor of the 3 that you have, as the Standard and 4K are different from the Advanced and Pro.
2016-9-10
Use props
user76390f67a7
New

United States

I have the same issue, no help yet here either...
2016-9-10
Use props
Barbara
lvl.1

United Kingdom

roger.crawford Posted at 2016-9-10 19:19
Might want to specify which flavor of the 3 that you have, as the Standard and 4K are different from ...

oops sorry. It's the most basic one you can get. Standard 2.7k is it? I just bought it to practice with as I wouldn't get a heartattack if it crashed. Seemed like a sensible option but if I can't actually fly it even to a safe distance, then I clearly made the wrong bet.
2016-9-10
Use props
Barbara
lvl.1

United Kingdom

user76390f67a7 Posted at 2016-9-10 19:54
I have the same issue, no help yet here either...

I assume firmware update didn't help for you then?
2016-9-10
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hello Barbara, after upgrading remote controller, aircraft and APP to the latest, please change different locations without interference around, such as buildings, WiFi internet signal, metal or others. During flight, please do not keep it above your head, and try to fly farther then higher. Or fly to other direction, such as West firstly then East.
2016-9-11
Use props
Barbara
lvl.1

United Kingdom

DJI Natalia Posted at 2016-9-12 03:10
Hello Barbara, after upgrading remote controller, aircraft and APP to the latest, please change diff ...

Hi, I have done all those.
I'm by the seaside, on an island, no interference anywhere in sight, no buildings, no wires no NOTHING.
I don't fly it overhead, just in front of me.
I've updated all the firmware.

The problem has never been a height problem (I don't fly overhead). The problem is a distance problem ie. I fly it out in front and after 20 metres it shouts weak signal. The worst I had was lost signal after 22 metres out, at about 10 metres height, on a flat dry seabed with nothing near me. I couldn't get further away from interference if I tried. It freaked out and initiated a 'return to home'. Once it got to within 5 metres or so I could regain control (incidentally --- often at this point it is pretty much overhead as it put itself there, and that is when I do regain connection)

Yesterday it was a mere 2 metres away from me and it started to shout 'weak transmission signal', now it's just getting dangerous. It seems to be gradually getting worse. In May at could fly up to 70 metres away, right now I'm lucky if I reach 25metres.
2016-9-12
Use props
fernando.tomas
lvl.1

Portugal

Hi
i think i have similar problem.. http://forum.dji.com/thread-62932-1-1.html
The range was very good... and now is always disconnecting....
if you move straight ahead at time it will move...then hover...then move..then hover... very scary because it makes this movements very aggressively...
send it today to DJI
2016-9-12
Use props
endotherm
Captain
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

Do you have the correct antenna orientation?    Aside from being swamped by lots of wifi/RADAR/microwaves and RF in the area, this is usually the likely culprit.
2016-9-12
Use props
Mozwald
lvl.1
United Kingdom

i had a similar problem and i downgraded firmware and now its fine!
2016-9-12
Use props
Barbara
lvl.1

United Kingdom

endotherm Posted at 2016-9-12 15:42
Do you have the correct antenna orientation?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7M9JtfVwQE  Aside fro ...

Yes I have. I have looked into all of that prior to posting.

I have an inspire as well, I have no problem with range with that one at all.
2016-9-12
Use props
Barbara
lvl.1

United Kingdom

endotherm Posted at 2016-9-12 15:42
Do you have the correct antenna orientation?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7M9JtfVwQE  Aside fro ...

In any case, I had no problems initially. but after 2 weeks it started to act weird. and then the distance at which it does that is getting shorter and shorter.

Ironically when it cuts out and does its RTH, I tend to regain the signal exactly when the craft is at it's supposed weakest signal receiving point. (ie straight overhead)
2016-9-12
Use props
Barbara
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Mozwald Posted at 2016-9-12 17:05
i had a similar problem and i downgraded firmware and now its fine!

How do you downgrade? I just upgraded in the hope it would fix it! But sadly it didn't

Interestingly enough though... I tried the simulator, and in the simulator it was also shouting 'weak transmission signal at me)....Although it never said signal lost.
2016-9-12
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Barbara Posted at 2016-9-12 20:28
Hi, I have done all those.
I'm by the seaside, on an island, no interference anywhere in sight, no ...

Hi Barbara, since you have done all basic troubleshooting, it would be best to send it in to service center for further analysis and repair. You could contact our tech support at support.eu@dji.com.
2016-9-12
Use props
Mozwald
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Barbara Posted at 2016-9-12 22:09
How do you downgrade? I just upgraded in the hope it would fix it! But sadly it didn't

Interesti ...

see this.

http://forum.dji.com/thread-52777-1-1.html
2016-9-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules