Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ThinAir
lvl.2
Flight distance : 659150 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Hi all,
Just have a quick question: I'm not going to be able to fly for a long time (probably 6 to 8 months). What is my best option to store my batteries ? I've read that I should leave them half loaded, in a cool environment. But I've been told by someone that I should keep them in a refrigerator. I know that some people stored there batteries for a few months (4 months) and when they wanted to charge them, the battery was dead (couldn't get out of hibernation mode).
Thanks for your good advice !

2016-9-10
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

It would be best to follow to Inspire 1 Intelligent Battery Guidelines when preparing for long term storage:

http://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/i ... _Guidelines_1.4.pdf

In regards to the storage issues that you indicated, there are various factors that could cause that such as not being stored at the proper percentage.  As long as you follow the storage procedure in the guideline above and you are using the latest firmware on your batteries, then you would be fine.
2016-9-10
Use props
Tharg (from the
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120784 ft
United Kingdom

It all depends on what firmware you currently have as well since there was a bug on earlier versions that caused the self discharge to continue past 50% storage charge and continued with a high quiescent current down to below 0.9v per cell where the pack was basically destroyed.

The absolute best possible storage environment for a LiPo is around 3.86v per cell and a constant temperature of around 4 degrees C  - So yes a refrigerator is ideal.  However a few caveats:

Do not allow moisture to form on the packs (so a ziploc bag is advisable)
You must bring the packs back up to ambient temp before attempting charging
Lipo in optimum storage conditions will STILL lose up to 3% capacity over 12 months (whether used or not).

DJI 'Intelligent' packs are not that great in quality of cells or that intelligent for that matter and were only really produced to stop the 'idiot gene' doing too much damage. Unfortunately, in doing so, they also severely crippled the performance of the packs and caused major discharge issues for many users.
Too clever is not always the best solution!
2016-9-11
Use props
ThinAir
lvl.2
Flight distance : 659150 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Tharg (from the Posted at 2016-9-11 09:15
It all depends on what firmware you currently have as well since there was a bug on earlier versions ...

Thank you DJI-Jamie and Tharg for your help ! Really appreciated !
2016-9-11
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Tharg (from the Posted at 2016-9-11 06:15
It all depends on what firmware you currently have as well since there was a bug on earlier versions ...

Nicely said Tharg,  AI does not always mean smart  
I still believe that the DJI battery is suitable for the long run and maybe for the new Inspire 2 (X) they will improve on their quality.

Rich
2016-9-11
Use props
Henry Mo-Yung
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11548839 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

I would recommend you set the numbers of days (let's say, 2 days) that the batteries will self-discharge themselves via DJI GO App, and fully charge them prior to long term storage. The batteries will self-discharge themselves to the storage state of charge after the preset numbers of days. Mark down on diary for reminding you to check state of charge of the batteries once every 3 months, and if necessary fully charge the batteries and let them self-discharge to the storage state of charge again.

If you won't have access to check and charge the batteries during the long term storage, you should consider giving / selling the batteries for someone who need them, and re-acquire / buy new batteries afterwards. It will be better for someone to utilise the useful life of those batteries than for you to let them sit on the shelve, taking the risk of having dead batteries 8 months later. After all, LiPo cells will age regardless of whether or not they are used. So if they can't serve you for such a long time, let them serve others.

Henry
2016-9-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules