Ipad 2 Air Wifi & Cell-Will GPS work without cell activated?
2663 8 2016-9-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
6WdnZVtwCT6Q
lvl.1
Flight distance : 31486 ft
United States

Hi all. Brand new owner of a Phantom 4. I'm currently researching tablets and I wondered if an Ipad Air 2 with WIFI and ceulluar will have GPS even though the cell service is NOT activated or is unlocked but doesn't have a carrier?  There are some good deals on Ebay. I don't need it as a phone, but would like the GPS service for obvious reasons. One other question, could I bluetooth the iPad to the Samsung Note 4 cellphone serving as a hot spot in order to get GPS?

Thanks for any help!

2016-9-10
Use props
Philj6970
lvl.2
Flight distance : 840663 ft
Australia

The GPS on my iPad Mini 2 works fine without a SIM in the iPad.
I always start the DJI Go app and let the map update via wifi (house or hotspot is ok) before flying, it works ok this way.
Dont forget to go onto airplane mode before you fly, I have found that doing this reduces video interference (green bars) completely.
2016-9-10
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

An Air 2 WiFi plus cellular has a GPS receiver built into the iPad, so you would have GPS reception. You do not need a data plan to receive GPS, as it is not connected in any way to the cellular network. You would not need to Bluetooth the Samsung at all.
2016-9-10
Use props
EagleEyeDrone
lvl.1

United States

your not using the pad gps anyways.  Your using the one in the drone.  I turn off my wifi and cell service on the iPad so that I am not creating any interference with the antenna
2016-9-10
Use props
mart.kask
lvl.3
Flight distance : 516237 ft

EagleEyeDrone Posted at 2016-9-11 13:17
your not using the pad gps anyways.  Your using the one in the drone.  I turn off my wifi and cell s ...

Actually you do use the ipad gps for some things. If you have gps, it will tell you where you are on the ground and you can set rth to your location not the home point.The ipad gps saved my bird one time, so i strongly recomend to pay few extra bucks and get celluar ipad.
2016-9-10
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Yes, true, if you want to move around, and not remain on the spot you took off from, having the GPS module in your device is desirable. So you can change the home point.
Another reason, aside from simple mobility, GPS is also necessary for the follow me feature.
Alomg with live access to your maps a SIM card in your iPad will give you the option of live streaming to your YouTube or Facebook account.

RedHotPoker
2016-9-10
Use props
madis
lvl.1
Flight distance : 67100 ft
Latvia

I have been thinking about that GPS aspect of Air 2 tablets (WiFi vs. Cellular). What I found is that unlike WiFi model, Air 2 Cellular has a physical GPS module (sensor) inbuilt (in addition to LTE, SIM slot etc.). What it means is that you can have GPS even if you do not use cell service (without SIM inserted)! So you pay a bit extra only for the Cellular model, but you have GPS for lifetime.
Check the video here on YT called "IPad Air 2, Cellular verses Wifi with the DJI Pilot App" @Spencer Boaz 
2019-2-9
Use props
madis
lvl.1
Flight distance : 67100 ft
Latvia

Also, good info about Ipad Air 2  Assisted GPS (A-GPS) - what it really is, how it works - check these links out. I have spet a LONG TIME searching for this valuable info:
https://ipadpilotnews.com/2015/12/ipad-real-gps
https://pacificsailors.com/2012/04/ipad-on-board.html

The main question for me was - is it worth it to buy Cellular Ipad Air 2 IPad  (more expensive) over ordinary WiFi IPad and whether Cellular one provides GPS without SIM card inserted (because, having a smartphone,  I do not need second cell service  and an extra  expanses for that. I only need GOOD GPS).

I have searched a long time of which tablet is the best (money/performance-wise) for DJI Go 4 APP. Now, the things got a bit easier and I have to decide, which IPAD tablet I go with (Android works, but  glitches).  Talking about Ipad, I am aware of the most famous tablet to this date - 8 inch Ipad Mini 4 (2015). Now, in my case, size is not a burden so I go with 10 inch (the largest that fits info original P4P holder) and after all - whats the use of switching to tablet if you have your smarthphone in the pocket all the time? So I ended up with Ipad Air 2/ Why? Because it is 10 inch and in terms of performance (A8X CPU and 8 core GPU vs ipads mini4 A8 and 4 core GPU), it is more powerful than ipad mini 4. Being only a bit more expensive than ipad min 4, In my opinion, it's the best choice even now in 2019.
2019-2-9
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

madis Posted at 2-9 10:33
Also, good info about Ipad Air 2  Assisted GPS (A-GPS) - what it really is, how it works - check these links out. I have spet a LONG TIME searching for this valuable info:
https://ipadpilotnews.com/2015/12/ipad-real-gps
https://pacificsailors.com/2012/04/ipad-on-board.html

I only need GOOD GPS
Your drone has a perfectly good GPS receiver and that's what it uses for flight purposes.

2019-2-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules