Steadicam Walk
2099 10 2016-9-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Maxi3D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>

I found that even with the gimbals on my OSMO Mobile to smooth out the my footsteps while filming, I could still see slightly the up and down motions of my walking on the video when I am fast tracking a subject. I know there is a walking method for Steadicam operator to smooth out the walking or running motions. I tried google it, but all I get is demonstrations of Steadicam. Does anyone knows the technique?
2016-9-11
Use props
Sky-way
lvl.2

United States

You bend your knees slightly and roll your steps from heel to toe.  You want to use your knees like a shock absorber to try and reduce up and down movements.  I'm no expert, but this is the general consensus for a smooth filming walk.  It's not hard, it just takes practice.

You could also look into the dji z axis.  From what I've seen and read, it really helps reduce the up down bob from walking.
2016-9-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Just walk like John Cleese,you will look a bit strange but will have less up & Down
2016-9-11
Use props
skay
lvl.2
Flight distance : 31932 ft
United States

Sky-way Posted at 2016-9-11 14:04
You bend your knees slightly and roll your steps from heel to toe.  You want to use your knees like  ...

The Z-axis attachment is not compatible with the Osmo Mobile.
2016-9-11
Use props
nigelbrinkmann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 586391 ft
Australia

Hi, try using the osmo mobile in flash light mode this may help a bit to reduce the up and down movement.
As mentioned above the z-axis is not compatible with the osmo mobile, as the gimbal can not be removed.
2016-9-11
Use props
Sky-way
lvl.2

United States

skay Posted at 2016-9-11 18:45
The Z-axis attachment is not compatible with the Osmo Mobile.

Yea my bad, I glazed right over the word mobile, I just assumed you had a regular osmo.  Nigelbrinkmann has a good idea.  I've noticed smoother walking footage in flashlight mode so give that a shot and see if it helps.
2016-9-11
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Unlike Osmo, I have some issues viewing the screen with Osmo Mobile in flashlight mode, because you need to point the camera of the phone ahead. Haven't figured out a good solution for this, maybe a mirror?
2016-9-11
Use props
Maxi3D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for all the advice. I will give them a try.  
2016-9-12
Use props
iangoldberg71
lvl.2

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-9-12 15:16
Unlike Osmo, I have some issues viewing the screen with Osmo Mobile in flashlight mode, because you  ...

i was having the same issue, really hard to get the framing right without just guessin... im going to try again later with the extension rod... maybe that distance will make it easier to see the screen
2016-9-12
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

iangoldberg71@g Posted at 2016-9-12 14:45
i was having the same issue, really hard to get the framing right without just guessin... im going ...

333.jpg

You can try hold it close to your shoulder like this. This is the only comfortable way of using flashlight mode while I can see the screen clearly.  The downside is that I can't use the thumb stick control because my thumb is under Osmo.  But you can't use the control stick with the extension rod anyway..
2016-9-12
Use props
Adriano Araujo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 731565 ft
Brazil

Tips
2017-8-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules