Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Burning Man 2016 From The Air
19368 39 2016-9-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jay Smith
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1073868 ft

We are thankful that we were given the opportunity to fly again at this year's Burning Man Festival, DaVinci's Workshop. Our shots include mutant vehicles, The Space Whale, Black Rock Lighthouse Service, The Temple, The Man and many more. We love to be able to give back to the community by capturing these beautiful art pieces. Hope you enjoy the video and feel free to share! )˚(

2016-9-11
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

That's really cool! Thanks for sharing this to us.
2016-9-12
Use props
Jay Smith
lvl.3
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-9-12 03:02
That's really cool! Thanks for sharing this to us.

Thanks for working at a company that can make things like this possible. The Inspire 1 (v1!!) with the X3 and a camera operator is simply an amazing tool. We are working on trying to pick up an Osmo, and a nice DSLR so we can bring some ground game to our videos. Would be great if we could pick up a sponsor. Then we would be able to create even more!
2016-9-12
Use props
GuyNamedLindsey
lvl.3

Jay Smith Posted at 2016-9-13 00:38
Thanks for working at a company that can make things like this possible. The Inspire 1 (v1!!) with  ...

Hey fellow burner. I missed this year but have 5 under my belt. I'll be out there next year though
2016-9-13
Use props
WillBapta
lvl.3

United States

WOW! I want to go here so badly
2016-9-13
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

I guess I live a sheltered life, I had no idea of this event. (reminds me of Woodstock with dust)

Thanks for sharing
Rich
2016-9-13
Use props
Adam Flurk
First Officer
Flight distance : 425466 ft
United States

Looks like a lot of fun out there!
2016-9-13
Use props
rodger
Captain
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Interesting, thanks for sharing.
2016-9-13
Use props
Jay Smith
lvl.3

GuyNamedLindsey Posted at 2016-9-13 22:13
Hey fellow burner. I missed this year but have 5 under my belt. I'll be out there next year though  ...

This was number 7 in a row for me. Many more to come!! Hopefully we will get to party on playa together some time.
2016-9-13
Use props
MicroFPV
lvl.4

United States

Sort of have that Mad Max theme going don't they.  The video is cool, a little dark and kind of excessive on the forward back forward back forward back forward for most every scene but that's just MPO.

Is it true you have to carry your poo with you?  Anyone thinking of going should check out the "rules" lets call them.
2016-9-14
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Great aerials, thanks for sharing.
2016-9-14
Use props
Donnie
Captain
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-9-14 15:09
Great aerials, thanks for sharing.

Off topic   Jamie , do you know if the module on the back of the Inspire  is the same that they have on the back of the  Phantoms if they are upgraded with the HDMI  output ?  I have a defective one on my RC Transmitter and want to make sure .. I am pretty sure it is, just want to confirm. Part 54 I believe

thanks- donnie

Now back to your regular scheduled program......
2016-9-14
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Donnie Posted at 2016-9-15 05:03
Off topic   Jamie , do you know if the module on the back of the Inspire  is the same that they ha ...

Yes it is the same part.
2016-9-14
Use props
SjCutting
lvl.4
United States

Amazing work of art, though I do agree with the above statement about too much rewinding going on! Other than that, it was so well done! It left me wanting to see more!
2016-9-14
Use props
Donnie
Captain
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-9-14 17:23
Yes it is the same part.

Thanks for that confirmation brother.

donnie
2016-9-15
Use props
GuyNamedLindsey
lvl.3

United States

Jay Smith Posted at 2016-9-14 13:28
This was number 7 in a row for me. Many more to come!! Hopefully we will get to party on playa tog ...

Did you get a media permit to fly? Back in the day you could put anything in the air. Super strict these days?
2016-9-17
Use props
bayguy69
Second Officer
Flight distance : 944275 ft
Puerto Rico

Wow! I thought that I Had seen it all. Never is too old to learn something new. That was AWESOME! Thanks for sharing!
2016-9-18
Use props
alirezapaperiho
lvl.1

Iran

Djigotabletsamsungtebs2android6.0.1
2016-9-18
Use props
Jay Smith
lvl.3

GuyNamedLindsey Posted at 2016-9-18 13:39
Did you get a media permit to fly? Back in the day you could put anything in the air. Super strict ...

Yeah, we had a media permit to fly, and we also were flying for the Burning Man Operations team. They are VERY strict about what gets up in the sky now. Have been for the past 3 years now.
2016-9-18
Use props
Jay Smith
lvl.3

MicroFPV Posted at 2016-9-15 00:24
Sort of have that Mad Max theme going don't they.  The video is cool, a little dark and kind of exce ...

No, you don't carry your poo with you. They have portos that get cleaned out a few times a day and are placed everywhere.
2016-9-18
Use props
Jay Smith
lvl.3

bayguy69 Posted at 2016-9-18 20:06
Wow! I thought that I Had seen it all. Never is too old to learn something new. That was AWESOME! Th ...

Thanks for watching and keep flying! You never know what you can get until you get up there and give it a try!!
2016-9-18
Use props
yoslandy13
New

Wow really good video i want to go where is that?
2016-9-21
Use props
pelermon
lvl.1
Flight distance : 34094 ft
United States

Very nice video - Love that music too.

One thing. REVERSE in videos is extremely irritating.

2016-9-25
Use props
skyskraber
lvl.1

Great video, but I do not like REVERSE. It is only my opinion.
2016-9-26
Use props
Jay Smith
lvl.3

yoslandy13 Posted at 2016-9-21 21:53
Wow really good video i want to go where is that?

It's in the Nevada desert. About 3 hours NE of Reno/Sparks. Check out http://BurningMan.org
2016-9-26
Use props
javtop.me
New

Vietnam

Great video.  thanks for share watch jav onl
2016-9-27
Use props
youfengou
lvl.1
Flight distance : 26214 ft
United States

Very nice video
2016-9-27
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Very impressive video. Thanks for sharing.
2016-9-27
Use props
DadDog
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2907 ft
United States

Jay Smith Posted at 2016-9-12 12:38
Thanks for working at a company that can make things like this possible. The Inspire 1 (v1!!) with  ...

>> Would be great if we could pick up a sponsor...<<

LOL. A corporate sponsor for an event that burns the corporate sponsor.
That's some funny stuff!
Perhaps you should hit up www.koetterfire.com/   
2016-10-12
Use props
Jay Smith
lvl.3

DadDog Posted at 2016-10-13 06:46
>> Would be great if we could pick up a sponsor...

We do burning man for fun. We would like a sponsor to send us to events to capture. To show off their new equipment, and to try and help better educate the masses about UAVs/drones. Majority of the people out there have the wrong image about what these tools really are, and how they can be a benefit to communities, business, and rescue services.

But I do like your comment "...A corporate sponsor for an event that burns the corporate sponsor.".
That sure is one way to look at it!
2016-10-18
Use props
paulcairn
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1371132 ft
Ireland

A pleasure to watch, amazing place a fine piece of Ariel art, love It.
2016-10-22
Use props
jpaydirt
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2969 ft
United States

Cool video..... the forward an back speed then slow down, a little goes a long way
2016-10-29
Use props
SFGiants24
Flight distance : 394524 ft

United States

jpaydirt Posted at 2016-10-29 10:14
Cool video..... the forward an back speed then slow down, a little goes a long way

Your video was cool. What a privilege to have permission to fly. Imagine what a pro could accomplish...............
2016-11-2
Use props
GMG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3632605 ft
France

Never been and will will probably never get the chance to go, but having watched this video I feel like I've gotten as close as you can get without hopping on a plane and getting over there.  Thanks.  Love your work!
2016-11-4
Use props
trance728
First Officer
Flight distance : 298048 ft
  • >>>
United States

Great video, I plan to do some drone filming next year, didn't have insurance this year so they wouldn't give me the permit. I'm also on the crew that builds the man so I plan to get some aerial build footage with a Mavic. The portability will be nice to bring to the site.  

What are you using for insurance? I think they said the AMA one would be fine.

Here's a pic of us mounting the man, I really wish he would have successfully rotated.
20160828_154848.jpg
2016-11-6
Use props
Jay Smith
lvl.3

trance728 Posted at 2016-11-7 10:31
Great video, I plan to do some drone filming next year, didn't have insurance this year so they woul ...

We have commercial insurance, and also insurance through the AMA. We were flying for the operations team this year, we tried to get some footage of the man being raised, but as you know, just about every time they tried to lift him, the wind would kick up. So we didn't get it. RonJon is actually a friend of ours. So we know Carlos Danger as well.
2016-11-8
Use props
trance728
First Officer
Flight distance : 298048 ft
  • >>>
United States

Jay Smith Posted at 2016-11-8 22:13
We have commercial insurance, and also insurance through the AMA. We were flying for the operation ...

I met RonJon when he brought the documentary guys around, and Carlos was the one that told me I'd be able to get a permit Being on staff and all I guess there aren't that many requests for those. The shot I wanted to get was flying from 6 o'clock and skimming over the man as he rotated, unfortunately the tests failed and that was never a possibility so I lost interest.

I want to go with a a planned out video for next year. Maybe I'll see if I can do a video project while I work and just document the man build.
2016-11-13
Use props
4wesomeAdam
Second Officer
United States

Great work. Loved the music as well, perfect selection for the video. I enjoyed the forward and rewind myself. However it was way fast. My suggestion would be to slow it down with the some of the rewinds and forwards. I was trying to look at and focus on the art installations and enjoy the scenery however the footage was going so fast. Almost gave me motion sickness.

Also, why was the night footage so limited? Safety and equipment concerns? I bet if you fly the drone around and panned a bit with all the lights and fireballs, etc. would have looked amazing.

Really enjoyed your work, thank you. I gotta go hunt for that tune now.

edit: found the music credits on your YT channel. Subscribed BTW.
2016-11-24
Use props
Jay Smith
lvl.3
United States

4wesomeAdam Posted at 2016-11-24 05:42
Great work. Loved the music as well, perfect selection for the video. I enjoyed the forward and rewind myself. However it was way fast. My suggestion would be to slow it down with the some of the rewinds and forwards. I was trying to look at and focus on the art installations and enjoy the scenery however the footage was going so fast. Almost gave me motion sickness.

Also, why was the night footage so limited? Safety and equipment concerns? I bet if you fly the drone around and panned a bit with all the lights and fireballs, etc. would have looked amazing.

Thanks Adam! We ran in to a small problem with a few of the Safety Team members the night of the burn. There was some confusion as to who was doing what, and were we vs others were flying.. So only 1 night flight was obtained.
2016-12-29
Use props
Jay Smith
lvl.3
United States

trance728 Posted at 2016-11-13 18:04
I met RonJon when he brought the documentary guys around, and Carlos was the one that told me I'd be able to get a permit Being on staff and all I guess there aren't that many requests for those. The shot I wanted to get was flying from 6 o'clock and skimming over the man as he rotated, unfortunately the tests failed and that was never a possibility so I lost interest.

I want to go with a a planned out video for next year. Maybe I'll see if I can do a video project while I work and just document the man build.

I can't speak for how many permits they give to staff members, but I know we were brought on under the operations team. We also captured a few other images for BM Org to use for future planning. Sadly we ran in to a problem night of the burn, and it left a very sour taste in our mouths. So last year might have been our final year for a little bit.
2016-12-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules