123Next >
5511 83 2015-1-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tedbotic.gmail
lvl.2

United States

rsghowellnj@gma Posted at 2015-3-27 01:25
Are you permitted to fly at the Great Swamp?  I have never been there before ... only driven by it ...

As far as I can tell, yes. It is not a national park. I live just outside of the swamp, and shot some footage of flooding on the main road through the park last spring with my Phantom and it was fine. I will probably just stick to some of the big fields for now, just to get acquainted.
Thanks for the advice with the new bird. I have been reading and watching everything I could find leading up to today. Luckily I will have some time to go over everything while the batteries charge and I update the firmware.
2015-3-27
Use props
rsghowellnj
Second Officer
Flight distance : 508255 ft
  • >>>
United States

tedbotic.gmail Posted at 2015-3-27 21:31
As far as I can tell, yes. It is not a national park. I live just outside of the swamp, and shot s ...

Is the Great Swamp a State Park?  It might be worthwhile just checking in with a park ranger.  There could be some stiff fines by flying in public areas where it is not established for RC flying.  Just accord of caution.  As you already know with your Phantom we are under the microscope by the general public.
2015-3-27
Use props
tedbotic.gmail
lvl.2

United States

rsghowellnj@gma Posted at 2015-3-28 04:13
Is the Great Swamp a State Park?  It might be worthwhile just checking in with a park ranger.  The ...

Good advice... Did a quick search and realized that the swamp is a National Refuge.... looks like I won't be flying there after all. Better to figure that out now though.
2015-3-28
Use props
rsghowellnj
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

tedbotic.gmail Posted at 2015-3-29 01:32
Good advice... Did a quick search and realized that the swamp is a National Refuge.... looks like  ...

Maybe check with http://somersetsignalsenders.com.  They seem pretty local for you.  Either that our AMA.  If you are an AMA member you are welcome to fly at any of their airfields as a guest of the hosting club in that area.
2015-3-28
Use props
rsghowellnj
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

rsghowellnj@gma Posted at 2015-3-29 05:08
Maybe check with http://somersetsignalsenders.com.  They seem pretty local for you.  Either that o ...

https://www.modelaircraft.org/joinnew.aspx?s=google
2015-3-28
Use props
rsghowellnj
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

rsghowellnj@gma Posted at 2015-3-29 05:11
https://www.modelaircraft.org/joinnew.aspx?s=google

Check with Anthony Rossi (p510851@gmail.com) who can let you know where you can fly in your area.  He is the AMA contact that I found closest to the Basking Ridge Area.
2015-3-28
Use props
rsghowellnj
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

rsghowellnj@gma Posted at 2015-3-29 05:17
Check with Anthony Rossi () who can let you know where you can fly in your area.  He is the AMA co ...

Again, otherwise if you wanted to join us at Allaire State Park (if you have your AMA membership) you would be welcome for sure.
2015-3-28
Use props
tedbotic.gmail
lvl.2

United States

rsghowellnj@gma Posted at 2015-3-29 05:18
Again, otherwise if you wanted to join us at Allaire State Park (if you have your AMA membership)  ...

wow, thanks for all of that info. I will definitely follow up on a lot of this.
2015-3-29
Use props
rsghowellnj
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

tedbotic.gmail Posted at 2015-3-30 07:48
wow, thanks for all of that info. I will definitely follow up on a lot of this.

Safest way to fly.
2015-3-30
Use props
elijahvoigt.yah
New

United States

AcesAreWld Posted at 2015-1-31 08:54
I'm in South Jersey now (West Deptford) but I was a member of the JCRCC since I was about 7 years  ...

Hey Im in Gloucester Township. I'm fairly new to the hobby. Is there any good local places to fly?
2015-4-4
Use props
AcesAreWld
lvl.2

United States

elijahvoigt.yah Posted at 2015-4-5 01:33
Hey Im in Gloucester Township. I'm fairly new to the hobby. Is there any good local places to fly?

I'm not a member of a club anymore. I was in the JCRCC but now just fly wherever... Do you know any clubs is South Jersey?
2015-4-6
Use props
rsghowellnj
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Inspire 1 flyers who are AMA Members that would like to be our guest to and fly at the Jersey Coast Remote Control Club Air Field at Allaire State Park .... I'm trying to setup a meet up date.  The entrance to the park (where you can drive into) is a locked gate off of Hospital Road in Wall Township, NJ.  I will be traveling back up north to Jersey from South Florida next weekend.  If anyone is interested in meeting up and flying with fellow DJI Inspire 1 Quadcopters, please reach out to me here.  We can make a meet up time and date.  Anyone can walk into the park to observe but it is strict club rules that in order to be a guest and fly you must be an AMA Member.
2015-4-19
Use props
ZeroCool
lvl.2

United States

East Windsor/ hightstown but also stay in Bergen area and Bronx
2015-5-3
Use props
rsghowellnj
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

ZeroCool Posted at 2015-5-4 02:50
East Windsor/ hightstown but also stay in Bergen area and Bronx

I used to live at the Peddie School (once upon a time).  Interested in meeting over at Allaire State Park to Fly at our field?
2015-5-4
Use props
joeevaristo
lvl.1

United States

I just wanted to followup: I got my Inspire in January and very quickly realized that their marketing, "this is great for a video pro with no experience to fly" was very not true. I've been taking baby steps the past few months to make sure i can fly safely; my cousin's been training me up near Boonton. I'm not quite ready to fly solo yet, but I'm getting there. I bought spare batteries and we spent part of last weekend flying over an empty soccer and baseball field, so I could try both the master and slave controllers. I think I'm going to get my first gig out of the way before I feel comfortable committing to leisure flying--a simple shot of a truck on the beach to show one of my employers what it can do.
2015-5-5
Use props
rsghowellnj
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

joeevaristo Posted at 2015-5-6 14:06
I just wanted to followup: I got my Inspire in January and very quickly realized that their marketin ...

Good luck Joe!  It is a pretty easy quad to fly.  You will find this out pretty quickly.  If you don't feel comfortable with the controls, definitely use the simulator (which you probably already have don so).  Flying from behind is much easier.  As you get better, flying towards you is the opposite because on the controls are reversed. That is why flying the simulator will make it much easier.  Work up to the point you can do figure 8s.  Do this until you feel comfortable.  

Good luck!
2015-5-6
Use props
joeevaristo
lvl.1

United States

rsghowellnj@gma Posted at 2015-5-6 16:19
Good luck Joe!  It is a pretty easy quad to fly.  You will find this out pretty quickly.  If you d ...

Thanks, 8's are where I'm at now! Still struggling to visualize the 8 in the air.

My cousin told me to start with the little Radioshack Surveyor. I've been practicing on that, and soon he wants to lend me another between the sizes of the Surveyor and the Phantom so I can practice with an IOC. He just needs to replace the charger on his. Same size as a LaTrax I believe.

I did find that the Inspire is MUCH easier to control than the Surveyor. But as my cousin pointed out, I need more practice with "what to do in an emergency" before I go solo.

I will say that I also find the camera controls to be beautifully smooth.
2015-5-6
Use props
ZeroCool
lvl.2

United States

rsghowellnj@gma Posted at 2015-5-5 07:28
I used to live at the Peddie School (once upon a time).  Interested in meeting over at Allaire Sta ...

lol! i live very close to peddie school. Sure! I don't know where that park is but I'll look it up.
2015-5-6
Use props
ZeroCool
lvl.2

United States

I just wanted to followup: I got my Inspire in January and very quickly realized that their marketin ...

this is my first quad too so welcome to the club
2015-5-6
Use props
joeevaristo
lvl.1

United States

ZeroCool Posted at 2015-5-7 06:59
this is my first quad too so welcome to the club

Awesome! Are you coming from the professional video side, too, or from interest in RC?
2015-5-6
Use props
rsghowellnj
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

ZeroCool Posted at 2015-5-7 06:57
lol! i live very close to peddie school. Sure! I don't know where that park is but I'll look it up ...

Yup ... I ran their outdoors club about 15+ years ago.  The club field at Allaire is on Hospital Road in Wall, NJ.  There is a locked gate but you can fly there as a club guest so that you can drive in.  In order to fly there you don't have to be a member of the club but you must have an AMA Card.  Let me know if you have an AMA Card and are interested in flying there.  We could meet up.  It's really a nice quiet place to fly. Club Web Site
2015-5-7
Use props
ZeroCool
lvl.2

United States

joeevaristo Posted at 2015-5-7 11:14
Awesome! Are you coming from the professional video side, too, or from interest in RC?

not a pro, trying to learn aerial photography
2015-5-8
Use props
ZeroCool
lvl.2

United States

rsghowellnj@gma Posted at 2015-5-7 17:01
Yup ... I ran their outdoors club about 15+ years ago.  The club field at Allaire is on Hospital R ...

how much is the AMA card/membership?  i normally fly in my backyard and in a park close to home. I see Allaire is not too far from the outlet mall.
2015-5-8
Use props
rsghowellnj
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

ZeroCool Posted at 2015-5-8 19:33
how much is the AMA card/membership?  i normally fly in my backyard and in a park close to home. I  ...

AMA Website - This is where you could find out more info on AMA.  Most clubs are members of AMA and require your membership.  The nice thing is when ever you travel, if you have your AMA membership you can fly at on of their associated AMA Clubs around the country for free (as a guest).  They also provide liability insurance and I think that is the main reason why most clubs require their membership.
2015-5-8
Use props
rsghowellnj
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

rsghowellnj@gma Posted at 2015-5-9 02:28
AMA Website - This is where you could find out more info on AMA.  Most clubs are members of AMA an ...

Full Membership Program

Dues:
Age 19-65 - $58 25% off. $43.50
65 & over - $48 25% off. $36.00
Under 19 - Free or $15 with magazine
Additional family members - $30

Benefits:
$2,500,000 personal liability insurance coverage
$25,000 Medical Coverage-AD&D Policy ($10,000 Death Benefit)
$1,000 Fire, Theft, and Vandalism coverage
Model Aviation monthly magazine
Access to members only section of website
Ability to fly at thousands of AMA chartered club sites with appropriate club membership
Toll free customer service – 1-800-I-Fly-AMA (435-9262)
Always comply with the AMA Safety Code.

Park Pilot Program *

Costs:
$29.95

Benefits:
$500,000 personal liability insurance coverage
Park Pilot quarterly magazine
Access to the members only section of the website
AMA Park Pilot Partner network to help you get started
$2.5 million liability coverage is available for owners of AMA-designated Park Flying Sites
2015-5-8
Use props
joeevaristo
lvl.1

United States

ZeroCool Posted at 2015-5-8 19:24
not a pro, trying to learn aerial photography

Nice. It's definitely a fun learning curve!

I'm going to have to become a member of AMA soon. I'm waiting until I take my Inspire back from my cousin, though--he's an AMA member, and I've only been flying with  him.
2015-5-8
Use props
ZeroCool
lvl.2

United States

rsghowellnj@gma Posted at 2015-5-9 02:30
Full Membership Program

Dues:

wish i was below 19 or above 65 fees are not bad
2015-5-8
Use props
rsghowellnj
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

ZeroCool Posted at 2015-5-9 07:54
wish i was below 19 or above 65  fees are not bad

This is the membership I have
2015-5-9
Use props
rsghowellnj
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

ZeroCool Posted at 2015-5-9 07:54
wish i was below 19 or above 65  fees are not bad

This is the membership I have

Park Pilot Program *

Costs:
$29.95

Benefits:
$500,000 personal liability insurance coverage
Park Pilot quarterly magazine
Access to the members only section of the website
AMA Park Pilot Partner network to help you get started
$2.5 million liability coverage is available for owners of AMA-designated Park Flying Sites

Not too bad for what you are getting and this is an annual fee.
2015-5-9
Use props
rsghowellnj
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

joeevaristo Posted at 2015-5-9 03:04
Nice. It's definitely a fun learning curve!

I'm going to have to become a member of AMA soon. I'm ...

I'm flown with some real nice people in different parts of the country through the AMA.  I think it is worthwhile and the liability insurance is certainly worth it.
2015-5-9
Use props
joeevaristo
lvl.1

United States

rsghowellnj@gma Posted at 2015-5-9 17:35
I'm flown with some real nice people in different parts of the country through the AMA.  I think i ...

Yeah, the liability's going to be necessary when I bring it into the workplace, I'm sure.
2015-5-9
Use props
tedbotic.gmail
lvl.2

United States

Boonton? I was just flying up there yesterday. I am from Boonton, but now live near Morristown. I have been flying at numerous places around the county too. Where do you fly in Boonton? I have gone down to the high school as well up by Gracelord park.
2015-5-11
Use props
joeevaristo
lvl.1

United States

tedbotic.gmail Posted at 2015-5-12 01:07
Boonton? I was just flying up there yesterday. I am from Boonton, but now live near Morristown. I  ...

I'm not sure of the park's name--it was a very large field with a bunch of soccer goals and a baseball diamond. Within a couple minutes of Denville. Somewhat windy most days because it's in a valley.
2015-5-11
Use props
joeevaristo
lvl.1

United States

tedbotic.gmail Posted at 2015-5-12 01:07
Boonton? I was just flying up there yesterday. I am from Boonton, but now live near Morristown. I  ...

I just went out today (until the storm cut us short) to practice boxes. It was the park at RFL.
2015-5-16
Use props
rsghowellnj
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Taking my Inspire 1 to Forestburg Scout Reservation.  Hopefully I will be able to post some video that I've taken up there in a few weeks.
2015-6-26
Use props
firemountain
New

United States

Hey Art.... I live in Bergen County near Paramus.  I would really like to meet up one day when you fly, to check out th Inspire.  I am taking the Dart Drone class next week which will cover the Phantom and Inspire.  After the class I will be making a purchase, either the Phantom or the Inspire.  I know there will be a huge learning curve if I go straight with the Inspire, but if I am already spending $$$$ for a Phantom 4, I would rather jump into a quad that is more versatile.

Please shoot me a PM when you get a chance.  FYI..... I am already a AMA member.

Dom
2016-3-19
Use props
njabinc
lvl.2

United States

art@otek.tv Posted at 2015-1-30 16:23
I am up at the top of the state, Mahwah area. Was thinking of starting a pro user group for UAV oper ...

Hello Mahwah! Oakland here! One Inspire Pro and One Inspire Pro Black Edition.
2016-3-19
Use props
firemountain
New

United States

njabinc Posted at 2016-3-19 14:54
Hello Mahwah! Oakland here! One Inspire Pro and One Inspire Pro Black Edition.

I am about 15 minutes from Oakland.  Where and when do you fly?  I would like to meet up one day to get a closer look at the Inspire in detail.  
2016-3-19
Use props
njabinc
lvl.2

United States

I fly for strictly pleasure. I'd be happy to meet up. I'll be out tomorrow with my PRO Black Edition and my two son's with their Runner 250R gps fpv racers. If you'd like to PM me a way to contact you i will. I'll send you a friend request so you can pm me.
2016-3-19
Use props
firemountain
New

United States

njabinc Posted at 2016-3-20 03:48
I fly for strictly pleasure. I'd be happy to meet up. I'll be out tomorrow with my PRO Black Edition ...

I just added you as a friend.  I am still new to using this forum, so bear with me.  It's a bit weird compared to other forums I use.  The next 2 weeks I am tiied up, but please shoot me a text on my cell phone when you get a chance.  It's easier  than using this forum.  I am gonna send you a PM it's that number.

Thanks,
Dominick
2016-3-20
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules