Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Healthy Drones Question
2230 23 2016-9-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

I ran two similar missions using 2 different RC setups.

HealthyDrones shows that in one flight my "Minor Signal Errors" was a lot lower than the other fight.

Does anyone know what does it really mean to have these "Minor Signal Errors", and how critical they are?

In my case, using one set up I was getting about 30 - 35 minor signal errors at max distance, whereas the other set up only showed about 3 errors.

The H.D. explanation is: "It calculates signal strength based on the connection to the remote - it searches for signal loss based on minor signal interruptions:"
I do not quite undertand that.
2016-9-13
Use props
gil
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

What's not to get?!?  When there are interruptions in the signal between the Phantom and the Controller it gets counted as a signal error  The explanation is right at the top of the screen with increasing levels of criticality: green, orange, red and purple.  When there are lots of reds and purples that can get "critical" and you run the risk of triggering the return to home.  The whole point is to use the information for flight planning -- if you are going to be flying in the same area and want to avoid the signal interruptions.  Or in your particular case to find out which RC setup works best.

2016-9-13
Use props
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

But how does it determine these MInor Signal Errors, or signal interruptions?  

In my case, when I look at the csv, I had both downlink and uplink greater than 50% and even in areas where it was 100% 100%, I got a bunch of these minor errors.

In some cases it recorded 30 + minor errors when the P4 was close to me and I had 100% 100% power?
So when I compare these 2 set ups, I tend to tilt towards using the one with the lower number of these errors. Even though the entire map is green, there are quite a few errors using one set up.

Setup1

Setup1

Setup 2

Setup 2
2016-9-13
Use props
helidan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 459951 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The numbers on your screen that you see whilst flying could just be the signal strength.  Signal QUALITY however is something entirely different.  Minor signal errors could be recorded if the quality drops below a certain threshold.  Just my guess.
2016-9-13
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

MD_Icarus Posted at 2016-9-14 02:45
But how does it determine these MInor Signal Errors, or signal interruptions?  

In my case, when I  ...

Don't rely on a 3rd party website analyzing the data. DJI uses advanced software to analyze our own data whereas a third party may not be entirely correct.
You have a signal meter in the app, just use that.
2016-9-13
Use props
Wingsy
lvl.2

United States

Perhaps I can help satisfy your curiosity somewhat. I have no knowledge of how DJI has implemented their communications between the RC and the drone, but I've designed similar systems and this is how I feed MY curiosity. Probably...

The data sent from the drone to the RC would be sent in small chunks called packets. As each packet is sent, additional data is sent along with the packet that the RC can use to determine if the packet contained an error. It can also (and probably does) send even more info in each packet that the RC can use to reconstruct a packet that has been partially clobbered by interferrence. This would be a "minor error" since the original info sent has been recovered successfully. If it can't, then I would call this a major error. As more and more minor errors occur it would be telling you that major errors are just around the corner.

If it were me I would avoid the red zones. Unless I wanted to test RTH on loss of signal.
2016-9-13
Use props
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-9-13 16:26
Don't rely on a 3rd party website analyzing the data. DJI uses advanced software to analyze our ow ...

How do I analyze the flight data? I use litchi app too.
2016-9-13
Use props
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

Wingsy Posted at 2016-9-13 17:13
Perhaps I can help satisfy your curiosity somewhat. I have no knowledge of how DJI has implemented t ...

Your explanation makes sense.  I am curious though as to which data in the log are they using to calculate such?  I look at the csv file which I uploaded to them, but it is not clear what data points are used. I see the downlink signal strength, the Uplink Signal Strength and the Transmission Channel.  All the other data columns are associated with flight details.
2016-9-13
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

MD_Icarus Posted at 2016-9-14 09:36
How do I analyze the flight data? I use litchi app too.

The info you get is the flight records, if you have an issue then DJI can analyze a flight record for you.
2016-9-13
Use props
PhanFran
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4804163 ft
  • >>>

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-9-14 04:26
Don't rely on a 3rd party website analyzing the data. DJI uses advanced software to analyze our ow ...

Sorry Ken,

But this is BS. Thousands of people use Healthydrones and get a lot of information out of it.
I never caught HD to tell me something stupid or impossible.
If you look at the maps from HD they will show the exact place where you actually had worse connection and that corroborates every time perfectly with what I saw on my (Litchi-, Autopilot-, FPV-Camera- or DJI-GO) screen.
I have two P4's and one P3A and anlayze every flight with HD. The few times I need more information I will dig in the datafiles with other apps.
Even your own support relies on HD: I got immediately a new battery after sending them a screenprint of the HD "Power" page showing that cell 3 was abnormally fast losing voltage after take-off.

So please, yes, defend and promote DJI (as I do) but please stop the childish behaviour of telling people that NON-DJI-apps are not to be trusted.
2016-9-14
Use props
gil
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

Why agonize over minor errors when you're in the green -- red and purple I could understand.  Sheesh, it appears this thread is fast approaching the "scratching stuff that shouldn't itch" stage.  Seriously, does one need to know in excruciating detail exactly how it works?  I can imagine some people on the Titanic demanding: "I'm not leaving until I know WHY it's sinking!"
2016-9-14
Use props
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

I am testing 2 RC antenna setups so I need to decide which one is the best for overall range, video streaming quality, gain/beamwidth/directivity, object penetration......ease of use; so when I look at some critical test result, I need to understand it in more depth, so I can derive at my final conclusion.
(Sorry it's my background, I analyze things too much!)

BTW: Love the comment about the Titanic!! But, if one analyzed prior to boarding it's ability to break through the anticipated icebergs, then that would have been a life saver!!

2016-9-14
Use props
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-9-14 00:20
The info you get is the flight records, if you have an issue then DJI can analyze a flight record  ...

Why doesn't DJI offer us the same tools you have, to read our logs?
Does your tool allow you to see the channel which the P4 is using at it is flying, like Litchi does?
2016-9-14
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

MD_Icarus Posted at 2016-9-14 20:40
Why doesn't DJI offer us the same tools you have, to read our logs?
Does your tool allow you to see ...

I work for DJI, that's why I have those tools.
2016-9-14
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

PhanFran Posted at 2016-9-14 18:25
Sorry Ken,

But this is BS. Thousands of people use Healthydrones and get a lot of information ou ...

I did not say non DJI apps are not to be trusted. The way they decode all our data may not always be correct.
That's why if you crash and lose your aircraft and are using Litchi it may or may not be a warranty repair.
DJI does not use data from 3rd parties, so the data analysis team would not look at another app that records data.
If the aircraft is recoverable then it's sent in and DJi analyzes the flight data recorder, if the aircraft is lost and the GO app was used, DJI can still pull embedded data from your flight records.
If you fly without the GO app then there's no way to analyze any data.
That's what I'm saying.
2016-9-14
Use props
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-9-14 10:06
I work for DJI, that's why I have those tools.

I was hoping that these tools can be available to all DJI users.  Otherwise, we have to use these third party options.  

DJI should certify these sites though, and thus everyone is happy; win win situation. DJI makes money, these companies make money, happy customers with choices to go to and they are certified by DJI.

Suggest it to the bosses.  Don't need any credit, unless they throw in a new battery for my suggestions!! {:4_181:}
2016-9-14
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

MD_Icarus Posted at 2016-9-15 03:03
I was hoping that these tools can be available to all DJI users.  Otherwise, we have to use these t ...

It's like asking Ford (that has their $2000 full diagnosis equipment and software) to pass it along to Ford users.
There's so many things in that software that users wouldn't even begin to understand unless they were fully trained on the system. DJI is no different.
2016-9-14
Use props
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-9-14 15:37
It's like asking Ford (that has their $2000 full diagnosis equipment and software) to pass it alon ...

I was not asking for the Full diagnostics software, and I can respect any co. holding a lock on their proprietary software.  I was only asking for a way to upload our flight data (your site or third party) which will be certified.
2016-9-14
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

MD_Icarus Posted at 2016-9-15 05:09
I was not asking for the Full diagnostics software, and I can respect any co. holding a lock on th ...

I'm sorry but the only real data you are able to see is from the flight records tab in the GO app.
2016-9-14
Use props
wmcvey
lvl.4
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

MD_Icarus Posted at 2016-9-13 21:45
Your explanation makes sense.  I am curious though as to which data in the log are they using to ca ...

You could also just email them "Healthy Drones" and ask your question to them. I had a question about this very page you posted here, and also the notification page about the "downlink lost error message". And they reply to me, and also a follow up I had. Here's some important info you should know about thier reply. Both of these pages (notifications and the minor signal errors), are the WIFI signal only!! Not the RC signal. Now this was on my Standard, but on my follow up I asked if the RC signal was tracked and reported on their site in any form. The answer was NO. So even if you have another Phantom Adv/Pro, I would very much doubt the RC signal is being reported on at all. If they can't track the RC signal on the P3S, how could that be different on another model.
2016-9-15
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2075213 ft
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-9-14 14:37
It's like asking Ford (that has their $2000 full diagnosis equipment and software) to pass it alon ...

It's a lot more than $2000.   ;-)
Maybe like $10000.
2016-9-15
Use props
wmcvey
lvl.4
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-9-14 15:37

Why can't we use: http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/ any longer?
Now you see this notice: "Note: If using DJI GO, you can only upload logs that were created with DJI GO 2.8.3 (or earlier). Logs created in newer versions of DJI GO are encrypted and cannot be processed by this log viewer."
Why are the logs now encrypted? Now only "Healthy Drones" site is usable to us Phantom owners. Sometimes you want or need to check things out yourself as a learning tool, or just want to know how your drone is doing. Things that don't rise to needing to contact DJI service or reps and take up their time.
2016-9-15
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

wmcvey Posted at 2016-9-16 07:02
Why can't we use: http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/ any longer?
Now you see this notice ...

The GO app will notify you if there are any issues and you can play back your flights in the flight records.
And the Advanced pages gives you data like battery history and things like that.
That's what you have access to.
So if there's an issue, the app will let you know. Try to just go out and fly and enjoy yourself.
If there's a crash and it was not caused by you and it was a malfunction, then send it in for warranty repair during the warranty period.
2016-9-15
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

KM5RG-Robert Posted at 2016-9-16 06:35
It's a lot more than $2000.   ;-)
Maybe like $10000.

That's probably more realistic.
2016-9-15
Use props