phantom 4 and android 5.1.1
3564 25 2016-9-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jonah70
lvl.1

help hi all im new to dji and im about to buy a phantom 4 but im worried and unsure if it will connect ok with my android devices i have 2 a samsung galaxy j5 with andriod v5.1.1 and a asus with android v5.0.2 can any one tell me if my divices will work?

2016-9-16
Use props
peter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 545377 ft
United Kingdom

The devices will probably work, my Panasonic phone with 5.0.2 does, but they may not have the horsepower to decode the 720p video stream from the drone which seems to be rated between 4-10Mbit/sec. My Nexus 7 (2013) can just cope but not if I try to save/cache the videos.

So, the app will run but you may see broken video.
2016-9-16
Use props
Jonah70
lvl.1

peter@wonderlan Posted at 2016-9-16 17:17
The devices will probably work, my Panasonic phone with 5.0.2 does, but they may not have the horsep ...

thank you i dont mind a bit of vid lose i can cope with that like iv sed new to this on the good side iv been flying r/c helis and planes for over 20 years done the lot but this is all new years ago i would have built one but after looking and reserching i cant build one with this amount of speck for the buck and then is the time. but once again thank you happy droning   
2016-9-16
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

Here is a list of DJI recommended devices, I have an Android and it's on 6.0.1.
Your device may not work.
iOS Version v2.9.1.
Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus,iPod touch 6,iPad Pro, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4, and iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular. This app is optimized for iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus.
Android Version v2.9.0.
Requires Android 4.1.2 or later.Compatible with Samsung tabs 705c, Samsung S6, Samsung S5, Samsung NOTE4, Samsung NOTE3, Google Nexus 9, Google Nexus 7 II, Ascend Mate7, Huawei P8 Max, Huawei Mate 8, Nubia Z7 mini, Sony Xperia Z3, MI 3, MI PAD, Smartisan T1.
2016-9-16
Use props
Jonah70
lvl.1

all arrived tuesday first fight and set up done with my asus zen pad prety glitchy started recording and i lose signal ie vid feed . but my samsung j5 moby works fine with no problems. iv just stated down loading the ground station for my lap top. but all good flight no problems easy peasy lemon quiecy.
2016-9-22
Use props
daveteauk
lvl.1
Flight distance : 8852 ft
United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-9-16 19:22
Your device may not  ...

This App DOES NOT WORK with galaxy S7/S7 Edge. It (the DJI Go App) keeps restarting the fone. It could happen almost immideately on starting Go, or it could happen at any time into the flight! VERY unnerving. It can happen once in a flight, or multiple times! This needs to be fixed, and NOW. DJI, this is well known - WHEN WILL YOU FIX IT. When will you acknowledge it??
2016-9-22
Use props
Jonah70
lvl.1

peter@wonderlan Posted at 2016-9-16 17:17
The devices will probably work, my Panasonic phone with 5.0.2 does, but they may not have the horsep ...

my samsung j5 works well but my asus zen pad glitches then loses connection. my j5 i blocked all apps notifications have just done the same to the asus pab hopefuly that way do it part im thinking the zen pads wifi is not strong anothe but more testes to do thanks for the reply im well happy with my phantom 4  
2016-9-22
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

daveteauk Posted at 2016-9-22 18:27
This App DOES NOT WORK with galaxy S7/S7 Edge. It (the DJI Go App) keeps restarting the fone. It c ...

DJI already knows this. This is not a issue with DJI.
The incompatibility issue is caused by the Samsung S7 mobile system. DJI has urged Samsung to solve the problem ASAP.
2016-9-22
Use props
daveteauk
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-9-16 19:22
Your device may not  ...

The latest version of Go for Android is 2.9.1 (as of Sept 212st 2016) the same as iOS - it doesn't work correctly on an S7.
2016-9-22
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

daveteauk Posted at 2016-9-22 23:50
The latest version of Go for Android is 2.9.1 (as of Sept 212st 2016) the same as iOS - it doesn't ...

That is correct.
"The incompatibility issue is caused by the Samsung S7 mobile system. DJI has urged Samsung to solve the problem ASAP."
2016-9-22
Use props
gmccurdy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft

daveteauk Posted at 2016-9-22 23:50
The latest version of Go for Android is 2.9.1 (as of Sept 212st 2016) the same as iOS - it doesn't ...

S7 is not on the list!  It might never be on the list too.

The 2.9.1 for Android and the iOS 2.9.2 are totally different.  They are even different on the main screen in layout as well.

If you want something that works well, get an iOS device on the list.  I did.
2016-9-22
Use props
daveteauk
lvl.1
United Kingdom

gmccurdy@att.ne Posted at 2016-9-22 17:31
S7 is not on the list!  It might never be on the list too.

The 2.9.1 for Android and the iOS 2.9. ...

As I hate everything Apple, mainly as they're a complete rip off, I went and bought a used, 18month old, Galaxy Tab S 705 that IS on the list - guess what - on trying to install Go, I get the msg that 'this device is not compatible with DJI Go'. Well thanks very much DJI. Not! It's running KitKat 4.4.2 and will not update to 5.x.x (Lollipop) or 6.x.x (Marshmallow). Is this the reason, can anyone tell me? I'm now getting well pi**ed off with Android/Samsung, so may well have no choice but to do as you suggest gmccurdy! I'm resisting, but may instead decide to knob off Go altogether, and buy Litchi for the Tab instead. Decisions decisions! The beauty of the Samsung Tab is that the screen goes a lot brighter - useful when out in the sunlight - than an iPad. I've briefly tried a friends Air (1), and although it worked, there was no map displayed. Does one need a device with SIM connectivity so as to get/see maps, as Wi-Fi is of no use when out 'in the country'?
2016-9-24
Use props
kirk2579
Second Officer
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

daveteauk Posted at 2016-9-24 11:21
As I hate everything Apple, mainly as they're a complete rip off, I went and bought a used, 18mont ...

NVidia shield K1 works great
is completely latest android
is only $200.00
2016-9-24
Use props
daveteauk
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Working at last

Tab S now working with Go - at last.
2016-9-24
Use props
gmccurdy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

daveteauk Posted at 2016-9-24 08:21
As I hate everything Apple, mainly as they're a complete rip off, I went and bought a used, 18mont ...

Last night my Samsung GT 10.1" tablet screen stopped responding to touching it after being on for a couple of hours.  I don't get what is wrong with Samsung.  If it is bloatware causing issues, but now if the screen gets hot it stops responding to touching it and the only remedy is to hold down the power button for several seconds for it to do a hard shutoff.

As to the maps, yeah, you need a cellular connection somehow for best operation, or cache the maps (which the device holds for about 29 days from Google Maps.).  I tried to hotlink the phone to the tablet to save buying a SIM card and service, but that really took a toll on the batteries and the lag was unbearable for DJI Go both.  So the iPad Air 2 was purchased even though I'm not an Apple fan - but it works well and no lag as with Android.  I wouldn't recommend a Samsung since the Android forums are full of issues with their devices not working right even with other hardware boxes (i.e. Games and reboot loops, etc.).  Apple has security issues with their strict permissions getting some apps or software to install correctly (if at all), but once working I doubt if you can beat them.

Sidebar:  I'll note that Verizon has the best data coverage for rural areas in the western part of the USA over the others.  If you fly somewhere out of town to avoid illegal operations/rules/ordinances/whatever, they might be the best move for remote service without going through roaming charges to their towers.  I don't have Verizon (T-mobile here.) but the Verizon coverage maps show a far better LTE rural service footprint than the other Big 3 do.   If I had to do the SIM thing again with the iPad, I would have used Verizon data for the iPad only over T-mobile.  Lesson leaned.
2016-9-24
Use props
kirk2579
Second Officer
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

daveteauk Posted at 2016-9-24 11:40
I've just read the list of compatable Android devices, and it says that they need at least version 4 ...

I don't have an exact answer
but many devices that are older that the past year or so may struggle running GO

The app is very large and has grown rapidly of the past year
and uses a lot of resources that just are not up to it in older tabs.

you can try side loading the app to see if it will work fo r you.
just google sideload android app

good luck and have fun flying!

2016-9-24
Use props
daveteauk
lvl.1
United Kingdom

An update about Galaxy S7 issues - it, DJI Go, started causing the S7 to completely lock up, in that none of the buttons worked and nothing happened when connected to the PC with a USB cable. The only solution was the hold volume down button and power button on together for over 7 secs, to force a shutdown. Then you can boot it again. Go now Gone from the S7! Tried to install Go on the Tab S several times with the same 'device not compatable' warning, I then almost installed Litchi, went back to the download page of Go and then it installed, and everything worked OK - weird. Is it Samsung or DJI Go? Who knows?
2016-9-24
Use props
BouldersDad
lvl.3
Flight distance : 872448 ft
United States

DJI-Ken, when a new device (from a major contender) is released, do you guys evaluate it for compatibility?
My Galaxy S5 running 6.0.1 is working for me, but I am looking to trade it in shortly and don't want to get something that's not going to work with the Go app.
Specifically looking at the Google Pixel XL when it's released, but...
2016-9-24
Use props
BouldersDad
lvl.3
Flight distance : 872448 ft
United States

Can any dji reps answer the above question regarding devices?
2016-9-28
Use props
daveteauk
lvl.1
United Kingdom

BouldersDad Posted at 2016-9-28 14:45

DJI responses are weird, when you get a response that is! They ask questions that have already been answered in the original mail, showing they don't read the mail fully to begin with. They kept telling me to buy a device in the list, even though I'd already told them the model I'd bought which was in the list! But, I'm a happy bunny now - I've bought a Galaxy Tab S2 (9.7) running 6.0.1 and Go works a treat, and the screen is so so much better than an iPad Air, and it has so much more usability than an iPad. Happy days.
2016-10-1
Use props
calls4u2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 211604 ft
United Kingdom

daveteauk Posted at 2016-9-24 16:21

lol, I work in computers, never rated apple products but need to use them from time to time so purchased the latest iMac. Very disappointed with it. It looks very sexy, the screen IS the best I've seen (5K and good at it!), but the OS and speed is very poor compared to a half the cost real PC running Windows, or the same as a quarter of the price system running Linux.

Back to drones though I've been using a Huawei P8 lite and find it has the horsepower to handle DJI Go app well. 8 Cores, and under £100.

I've just bought an Nvidia Shield as I like the idea of a bigger, higher quality screen. Not flown with it yet due to the wonderful weather here in the UK. If I get all my work done today I'm hoping I can wrap up warm and get up in the air with it today
2016-10-2
Use props
calls4u2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 211604 ft
United Kingdom

BouldersDad Posted at 2016-9-28 14:45

Send in a video ;)

I'd assume they do evaluate that way, it makes sense to make your product more compatible than any competitors. But then that's how I work, Hopefully am answer from DJI. What I'd like to see from DJI reps is more detail in the responses... Oh, and a decent full changelog with each update!
2016-10-2
Use props
kalvo007
New
Flight distance : 54265 ft
Israel

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-9-16 21:22
Your device may not  ...

hi I'm new. what about SAMSUNG TAB 2/3 or GALAXY S4 ?
2016-10-2
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

kalvo007 Posted at 2016-10-3 15:35
hi I'm new. what about SAMSUNG TAB 2/3 or GALAXY S4 ?

I don't think those devices work with the current aircraft, so they will not work with the Mavic.
2016-10-3
Use props
Thomas Schembri
lvl.1

Malta

Hi I am looking forward to buying A Phantom 4, Is a Samsung J5 running android version 5.1.1 with 1.5Gb RAM work good with the drone via the DJI Go 4 App?
2017-2-23
Use props
Majgomboc
lvl.1
Serbia

Jonah70 Posted at 2016-9-22 02:04
all arrived tuesday first fight and set up done with my asus zen pad prety glitchy started recording and i lose signal ie vid feed . but my samsung j5 moby works fine with no problems. iv just stated down loading the ground station for my lap top. but all good flight no problems easy peasy lemon quiecy.

Your is samsung J5 2016  (android 6.0.1)?
Works great with phantom 4 (with dji go and dji go 4 app) ?
2017-3-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules