finding the position of an object in a video
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
eganders
lvl.2
Flight distance : 191821 ft
United States

I lost an RC plane in a farmer's bean field.  I used my Phantom 3 Professional to scan the field.  I did not see it while at the site, but later in reviewing the video on my computer, I found the plane.  The problem is, I cannot determine exactly where the plane is in the video.  If I had seen it on site, I could have used the trace, but I believe, after shutting everything down, the trace is not retrievable.  If it is, what do I have to do to retrieve it?

Any suggestions?
2016-9-17
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha eganders,

In the future, besides the video, take a photo.  The .jpg saves the GPS coordinates in the file (Mahalo to Geebax).  Another possibility is to do an IOC Point of Interest around the plane, or whatever, and as you go around raise the camera to look around where you are.  This will give you bearings on the downed plane.  If you have enabled the flight path option, you will see the circle around the object in the flight path.

In your current situation, go into your flight log and your flight will be traced on the map of your flight area.  If you look at the time in the video when you found the plane and check that time in the flight log, the location will be revealed.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-9-17
Use props
cloudycante
Second Officer
Flight distance : 558173 ft
Italy

Look at the timing in the video when you see the plane. Then go to your tablet/phone and look for the same thing on the "recent flights" logs in the DJI GO App (upper left corner). That should give you an idea of the place where to go look for it
2016-9-17
Use props
cloudycante
Second Officer
Flight distance : 558173 ft
Italy

cloudycante Posted at 2016-9-17 16:34
Look at the timing in the video when you see the plane. Then go to your tablet/phone and look for th ...

Another thing you can do is to download the flight data from the drone and upload them to healthydrone site and the likes.
2016-9-17
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The latitude and longitude of the Phantom are stored in the flight record recorded on your display device, feed them into your satnav or GPS phone, and that should take you close to plane.
2016-9-17
Use props
eganders
lvl.2
Flight distance : 191821 ft
United States

Thanks, folks.  I took your advice and think I have the spot pretty well identified.  I did not start the video at the beginning of the flight, so the video timing and the trace timing do not match.  For this type of need, I wish there was a master timing track for the mission.  That is a timing record that is shown in the video matching the timing shown in the flight log exactly regardless if the video was started after the mission was started.

I have not set up the healthy drone site yet.  I have not looked over the flight records in the DJI Go app closely, but I don't think the flight records in the Go app have the flight records from Litchi.  Is that correct?  It seems that the flight records should be recorded for Litchi also, since Litchi uses the SDK developed by DJI and it would make sense that the SDK would allow flight records to be recorded for any app that uses DJI's SDK.
2016-9-18
Use props
digdat0
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11896378 ft

eganders Posted at 2016-9-19 11:29
Thanks, folks.  I took your advice and think I have the spot pretty well identified.  I did not star ...

Are there any .srt files in the same folder as the video files? If so they have gps coordinates corresponding to the video.
2016-9-18
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

eganders Posted at 2016-9-18 23:29
Thanks, folks.  I took your advice and think I have the spot pretty well identified.  I did not star ...

In the Litchi folder on your device,  go to the Logs folder.  You will see the logs stored as .csv files.  Find the one that corresponds to the date in question .  On healthydrones.com, upload the log file.  The when uploaded,  click the notifications tab.  Then at the bottom of the page click Download as Kml file.  It will download and open google earth, ( if you have it).  Now,  you can see the flight path and the location of any notifications.  Put your mouse pointer on the place you think it is and look at the status bar on the bottom of google earth.  It will show gps coordinates to that location.
2016-9-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules