Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
J74656
New
Flight distance : 32707 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hi

i was wondering why the Phantom 4 batteries (I have four of them) lose charge in a relatively short amount of time when they are not in the drone. I tend to keep the batteries charged and ready to go at short notice due to the unpredictable weather here in the UK. If I end up leaving the batteries for about a few days to a week the charging indicator on them appear to show them naturally discharging to 50% or lower even though they are not attached to the drone. Is this down to the type of battery i.e. LIPO's? as my iPad battery if fully charged and switched off tends to last for weeks without discharging.

Thanks!!
2016-9-17
Use props
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

That is normal to protect battery life.  You can set the discharge rate in the go app though. The less days you enter, the faster the discharge rate is.  I have  mine at 3.  I would also recommend that you may want to keep a few not charged anyway, and just charge them before you go out.  Those are the ones I would us on longer flight trips.
2016-9-17
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MD_Icarus Posted at 2016-9-17 14:20
That is normal to protect battery life.  You can set the discharge rate in the go app though. The le ...

"The less days you enter, the faster the discharge rate is"

Not true.

The days selected is the time before the intelligent battery starts a slow discharge over 2-3 days down to the 50-65% storage value.

It would also seem that there is nothing wrong with keeping the batteries fully charged up to the 10 day maximum setting. What will ultimately reduce battery life is unnecesarilly charging and discharging them.
2016-9-17
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

In the app you can set the discharge from 1-10 days, you must have it set to 1 day.
If you want the batteries to be ready to go in after a few days then set the discharge to at least 3 days.
This discharge is built into the system to keep the battery from being damaged, storing a Lipo at full charge will damage the battery.
2016-9-17
Use props
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2016-9-17 09:37
"The less days you enter, the faster the discharge rate is"

Not true.

If you think what I said: The lower the number the faster the rate is accurate!!

I knew it starts to discharge after the date entered, so in a 10 day period, if I set it to 3 it will discharge at a faster rate than if I set it to 5, or 6....
I prefer to keep it at 3 because I think you prolong the life of the battery.  
But if I plan a 6 mile flight the next day, I would charge the battery the night before.  Sometimes, I would drain some battery out on purpose so I can charge them to 100%.  Even if you get all lights on, when you place a 4- 6 day old charged battery in the P4, it will go from 99% to 90% faster than if you charged it the night before.

2016-9-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules