Dropping frames
1697 8 2016-9-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JWC P4
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8176 ft
South Africa

I regularly see frames being dropped in the captured video when I playback the videos.  I have high end 4K playback equipment that I use for my Sony & Panasonic 4K cameras.  I use the Lexar 16Gb class 10 card issued with the P4.  Anyone see the same?  (Maybe a card format to be tried... or another card?)

2016-9-18
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Can you clarify what resolutions you are filming in? Have you tried using a different SD card, with a faster write speed, or reformatting the current one?
2016-9-18
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

The Phantom does not drop frames, if it cannot keep up the recording pace it simply stops recording. The recording is an MPEG coding, which does not allow for dropped frames like you would get with a RAW recording in say DNG format.

Formatting the card regularly is always a good idea to allow the system to make use of maximum card writing speed, and it is always best to format the card in the aircraft.
2016-9-18
Use props
pi-inthesky
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13058 ft

Geebax Posted at 2016-9-19 08:17
The Phantom does not drop frames, if it cannot keep up the recording pace it simply stops recording. ...

Geebax i was expecting a response from you or one of the tech guys on the forum "MYSTERY" ONE FOR THE TECH BOFFINS osmo thread.
2016-9-18
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

pi-inthesky@hot Posted at 2016-9-19 12:45
Geebax i was expecting a response from you or one of the tech guys on the forum "MYSTERY" ONE FOR T ...

I don't follow the Osmo Forum, so I would not have seen that.
2016-9-18
Use props
JWC P4
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8176 ft
South Africa

Geebax Posted at 2016-9-19 02:17
The Phantom does not drop frames, if it cannot keep up the recording pace it simply stops recording. ...

Thanks.  I record only in 4K mode.  If you say "stops recording" I assume it resumes recording immediately when the buffer / pace is favorable again?  I see the "stop record" at least 2 - 3 times in a typical 3 min recording.  The same type of visual you see when the phantom breaks up the the longer/larger files into two files on the SD card - clearly displaying an erratic video as there are missing frames - which I hope will be addressed sooner than later as this also ruins a professional video.

I'll try the formatting of the card in the Phantom as suggested.

Regards
2016-9-19
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

JWC P4 Posted at 2016-9-19 19:51
Thanks.  I record only in 4K mode.  If you say "stops recording" I assume it resumes recording imm ...

Yes, it produces a number of short files when this happens. Generally the reason is that the SD card cannot keep up the necessary writing pace. The card supplied with the aircraft should be OK, but if you have repeatedly copied files off the card or erased them, it gets fragmented (Yes, solid state drives can fragment) and this is the result. I use a much faster card like the Sandisk Extreme Pro, and after I copy off the files I want, I immediately format the card again in the aircraft.
2016-9-19
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JWC P4 Posted at 2016-9-19 10:51
Thanks.  I record only in 4K mode.  If you say "stops recording" I assume it resumes recording imm ...

How are you playing back files, could it be the USB interface between SD card and your playback equipment that is causing a problem ?
2016-9-19
Use props
DanielFPV
lvl.1
Flight distance : 65850 ft
Switzerland

Hello Guys
I know this post is maybe a bit old but here is the solution in my case:

Case:
I had a ton of dropping frames and Adobe Premier Pro said that everyother frame gets droped and the replay looked awfull. With stripes and tearing etc.

The cause:
I had an adapter from Micro SD to SDHC. Then I had a USB Hub with Cardreader. The cause was the MicroSD to SDHC Adapter (does Black SDCards with the slot for the MicroSD).

Solution:
Changed the MicroSD Adapter and copied the files again.

My SD-Card: Samsung 64GB Pro Plus
2021-2-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules