Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Best video settings
25534 68 2015-1-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bob Marley
Second Officer

United States

scooterlam Posted at 2015-2-1 08:08
It doesn't matter if you don't have a 4K display. Regardless if you're going to down res to 1080 sho ...

Everything you say is spot on.
look side by side my neighbors high end 15" mac and my dell xps15 with 4k screen, it's not even close.

While researching my laptop butt off, I was given advice by several, "you don't need a 4k display".
Man am I glad I didn't listen. for an extra $400 bucks it's waaaaay better, AND, I'm "future proof"
I now have a kickass machine for a good 3-5 yrs

any advice I have followed from scooterlam posts has always helped me with the I1, (I seek his posts, read, then get better results).

thx scooterlam, it's nice the way you share

Bob Marley
2015-4-29
Use props
scooterlam
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4626 ft
United States

Bob Marley Posted at 2015-4-30 06:30
look side by side my neighbors high end 15" mac and my dell xps15 w ...

Thanks Bob - Glad I can help in some way shape or form. I'm not a technical guy when it comes to UAVs but I know a bit about the video end of the hobby =)

Thanks for calling the trolls out as well. I get a kick out of your posts.

-S
2015-4-30
Use props
scooterlam
Second Officer
United States

buchanan0505@gm Posted at 2015-4-30 06:03
Scooter, do you shoot in LOG mode on the inspire? Or does it matter? From what I hear you saying is  ...

Hey there - next time 'reply' to quote my posts so I get a notification. Otherwise I didn't know you asked me a direct question.

Regarding your question:

Yes I ALWAYS shoot in the LOG mode with custom settings. Yes it matters. The less contrast/saturation/sharpness the heavily compressed h264 codec has baked in if you choose to shoot in the auto settings, the better. If you're not interested in making the most out of your footage, the default auto settings will suffice and look "OK" -- I however like to take my footage to the next level and determine how I want it to look vs what the camera guesses. Similar to shooting RAW vs Jpeg in still photography.

Regarding your recording/offload/delivery question: Essentially yes. 4K 30fps for a little additional frames for stability. Off load them onto an external or your HD. Don't import directly from the SD card (not sure it matters but its not a good habit). Rough cut your footage on a new 4K UHD 3840 x 2160 23.98 timeline, color correct, color grade, export in Apple Prores Proxy in the same resolution as the timeline. Then upload to vimeo/youtube and let them compress.

Remember always shoot highest resolution possible even if you plan to down-res your footage. For a 1080p timeline just create a 1080p timeline at 23.98 and adjust your footage to either fill, fit, or you can reframe due to the extra pixels you have to work with. Export from there.

It never helps to export files multiple times as they are getting compressed each time you do that. Do everything in FCPx regardless if you're doing 1080 or 4K or whatever.

Hope this helps.

-S
2015-4-30
Use props
buchanan0505
lvl.1

United States

scooterlam Posted at 2015-5-1 00:57
Hey there - next time 'reply' to quote my posts so I get a notification. Otherwise I didn't know y ...

Thanks so much for the info. Headed to Hawaii Friday and want to make sure I capture everything in the best way possible. Really appreciate it man!

Not sure if I understood right, but you can make custom settings within the LOG mode? Any ones you highly suggest I make?
2015-5-5
Use props
scooterlam
Second Officer
United States

buchanan0505@gm Posted at 2015-5-5 23:19
Thanks so much for the info. Headed to Hawaii Friday and want to make sure I capture everything in ...

Color = LOG , Style = Custom (sharpness -1, contrast -3, saturation -2)
2015-5-6
Use props
Maxwhiteuv
lvl.4

Hong Kong

It seems H.264 is widely adopted, so I'll go with it. Also I see Vimeo likes 24, 25 or 30 fps, what's the difference then?
https://vimeo.com/help/compression
2015-6-2
Use props
jimhare
Captain
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

Maxwhiteuv Posted at 2015-6-3 15:38
It seems H.264 is widely adopted, so I'll go with it. Also I see Vimeo likes 24, 25 or 30 fps, what' ...

The frame rates match the most widely used around the world.   
24FPS has always been used for film, 25FPS is used in PAL countries and 30FPS is used in NTSC countries.

So 30FPS may start to look a bit like video and 24 more like a feature film.   25 is a sweet spot in the middle and what I use.   Being in a PAL country also helps if I want to use the footage for TV.

Having said that, there is also an argument that says to shoot at 30FPS but play back (slow down) the footage at 25FPS.    This takes the edge off the movement and smooths out the motion.   

Has a negative effect if you're trying to get a fast moving shot with a lot of action, but great when using the Inspire as a dolly to capture a smooth controlled move.
2015-6-3
Use props
Maxwhiteuv
lvl.4

United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-6-3 17:10
The frame rates match the most widely used around the world.   
24FPS has always been used for film ...

Thx a lot for the info jimhare, as most of my videos are moving scenes, I'll give it a go with the original frame rate, thinking it will keep the fluency. {:2_27:}
2015-6-12
Use props
GrahamJ
Second Officer
Flight distance : 595538 ft
Australia

Both jimhare  and scooterlam are both bloody awesome references for any vid advice.....something I know little about!
2015-6-13
Use props
Shadrack
lvl.1

Canada

Bob Marley Posted at 2015-4-30 06:30
look side by side my neighbors high end 15" mac and my dell xps15 w ...

Good luck on that "3 to 5 years" part.  I am lucky to get to 3 years on hardware.
2015-6-13
Use props
Shadrack
lvl.1

Canada

scooterlam Posted at 2015-5-1 00:57
Hey there - next time 'reply' to quote my posts so I get a notification. Otherwise I didn't know y ...

Why go to 24 vs 30 FPS?  I know film is 24,  is that your reasoning?
2015-6-13
Use props
ChelseaChelsea
lvl.1

United States

Rather interesting forum I own 3 red camera's and have done extensive testing of the camera n my drone and here is what I found.  Shooting in 4k over 2k over 30 fps over 60 fps.  The 4k is great but you get all sort of artifacts if you move the drone at all.  This has to do with the digital sensor and I won't lecture about rolling shutter or all the other side effects because it all have to do with sampling rates and band width and the end result is that we are getting highly compressed H264 footage anyway.  The color density is deeper at 4k but....  Shooting at 2k or 1080 you get the same artifacts....  But shooting at 2k at 60 fps they go away.  This is a factor of the sensor;s functionality nothing else.  And the 4k 'but' is that you can crush the blacks on the 2k footage and it deepens the color density to the point that unless you have a 4k editing TV like I do you can't tell.  More to the point 1080 at 60 fps plays normal speed in FCPX and still gives you the option to slo mo if you want.  If I had a choice I would shoot 4k at 60fps.  And for the best options for exporting it ... Premier Pro...  Though I prefer editing in X....
2015-6-15
Use props
budnikasr
lvl.3

Canada

scooterlam Posted at 2015-5-7 01:23
Color = LOG , Style = Custom (sharpness -1, contrast -3, saturation -2)

Scooterlam or JimHare, what about AWB? I recently flew in an open field with sun behind. Everything opposite the sun had a reddish hue on the farmland as well there was a lot of Moire in the strips of land. Shot in 4k 30fps, 60 on the shutter with Rennat ND32 attached AE not locked. As I turned towards the sun, the flicker got worse, but Moire was way less., you could actually see the colours changing. I did a similar shot in the same area a few weeks ago, but at noon with bright sun overhead same settings except 1080 60fps 120 on the shutter and there was't any flicker or Moire. Could the AWB cause the problems or is it more AE or a combination of all? I'm struggling to get the right settings.

Thanks for your help!
2015-6-15
Use props
scooterlam
Second Officer
United States

GrahamJ Posted at 2015-6-13 22:00
Both jimhare  and scooterlam are both bloody awesome references for any vid advice.....something I k ...

Thank you!
2015-6-15
Use props
scooterlam
Second Officer
United States

Shadrack Posted at 2015-6-13 22:19
Why go to 24 vs 30 FPS?  I know film is 24,  is that your reasoning?

On any other camera I would opt for 23.98 or 24fps but this camera isn't the greatest on the inspire. The more frames the better for smoother footage and a slight slow down when editing on a 23.98 timeline if needed.
2015-6-15
Use props
scooterlam
Second Officer
United States

budnikasr Posted at 2015-6-16 02:07
Scooterlam or JimHare, what about AWB? I recently flew in an open field with sun behind. Everythin ...

I don't use AWB. I shoot at 5000-5500k
2015-6-15
Use props
budnikasr
lvl.3

Canada

scooterlam Posted at 2015-6-16 08:18
I don't use AWB. I shoot at 5000-5500k

Thanks Scooterlam.
2015-6-15
Use props
Bluesky
lvl.1
Flight distance : 853501 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

scooterlam Posted at 2015-2-2 02:05
I can see there are a lot of drone experts but not a lot of cinematographers in this forum thread. S ...

I have a windows computer and I see 'Final Cut Pro' is a Apple only product.  What windows programme would you recommend?
2015-6-27
Use props
GB44
Captain
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

scooterlam Posted at 2015-4-10 02:13
Yes, most of the time I will render a master in 4K or UHD resolution in ProRes Proxy or H.264 and  ...

I have had some problems formatting my film within Final Cut Pro selecting the Share to Apple Devices 1080 then transferring the finished product to my iPad mini via iTunes.  Once on the iPad mini the film glitches and freezes.  I have had Apple replace two iPads for this and the last 1 to1 session I had at the Apple shop on Final Cut Pro the tech there suggested I just reformat the product again using Handbrake.  This seems to work but can't understand why it won't play the formatted version from Final Cut Pro.

Have you had any experiences like this ?
2015-6-27
Use props
Shadrack
lvl.1

Canada

Bluesky Posted at 2015-6-27 07:06
I have a windows computer and I see 'Final Cut Pro' is a Apple only product.  What windows program ...

There are lots that work well.  I used to be a premiere fan, but got tired of the adobe mentality, then used Sony Vegas but again, overkill.
Now loving the Cyberlink Power Director product.  Fast and works with all file formats so far.
2015-9-9
Use props
jlivingston6
lvl.4
Flight distance : 82556 ft
United States

So what you're all basically saying for some one shooting BTSC at 30 frames
Is to set it at 60 for the best results, right or wrong? I have mine set at 60
So the video looks smooth. Does shooting at 60 make it look like slow motion
Or is that a good setting to go with at 1080p? I always heard to double the
Fps. So for me I'd be shooting video in NTSC at 30 GPS and I should double
That speed setting to 60, right? I just want a good smooth video without all
The stumbles, etc.
THANKS FOR YOUR TIME IN ANSWERING THIS.
2015-9-15
Use props
Stephen Marley
lvl.3

Australia

Was filming some Motocross the other day with my x5 olympus m.zuiko ed 12mm f/2 to see how it would look. Noticed on some angles very bad motion blur. Tried to remove in vegas, didn't help much.
Has anyone had success filming motocross with out motion blur, or the camera isn't up to it or waiting for an update in software ???
2016-3-6
Use props
Harb
lvl.4

Australia

Really depends on what you want at the end......
4k is great for High Res, but it applies certain limitations as well......more computing power, lower frame rates etc etc.
I shoot a lot of 4k Cine stuff, but I also find Myself shooting heaps of stuff in HD 4:4:4 and 4:2:2 @ 50fps in preference to 4k depending on the end requirements.
With the inspire I find the limited frame rates at 4k to much of a compromise, and as a result shoot most stuff in 1080p 50 fps so I can slow mo it nicely.
I find the Slo Mo requirement much more of an asset than the higher res, because at the end of the day, most end users will have HD viewing only, and shooting it in the delivery format saves a process in the workflow.I would shoot in the freq that your country uses....... ie in 50Hz countries use 1080p/50 or if you are say in the states use 60 Hz so 1080p/60 so if you ever mix your footage with other video sources other than the drone, the edit process wont have to deal with 2 different frame rates and conpromise
2016-3-6
Use props
Harb
lvl.4

Australia

Stephen Marley Posted at 2016-3-6 20:27
Was filming some Motocross the other day with my x5 olympus m.zuiko ed 12mm f/2 to see how it would  ...

higher shutter speeds will help.
On really bright days with full sunshine I shoot a lot of slow mo motorsport sequences at 200fps or even higher at the highest shutter speed the light will allow.
Panning at the same speed as the subject will make the biggest affect.......background will just blur out, but thats fine
2016-3-6
Use props
Harb
lvl.4

Australia

jlivingston6@ve Posted at 2015-9-16 10:15
So what you're all basically saying for some one shooting BTSC at 30 frames
Is to set it at 60 for t ...

Your edit program will know you are shooting at 60fps and sort it out to play back normal speed.....just smoother......unless you override that in the project properties.
Where the real magic comes in is when you want to slow it down.....you can tell the edit suite to slow it down to say 30fps, or 50% and it will still be smooth.....just running at half speed
2016-3-6
Use props
Stephen Marley
lvl.3

Australia

Harb Posted at 2016-3-6 20:57
higher shutter speeds will help.
On really bright days with full sunshine I shoot a lot of slow mo  ...

Thanks Harb, same process I had with my canon 5dmkiii. Dont be afraid to play around with the camera settings. All the footage I have filmed has been in 4k, then rendered down to 1080p.

Check it out

2016-3-6
Use props
Callatis
Second Officer
Flight distance : 511112 ft
Canada

scooterlam Posted at 2015-2-1 10:05
I can see there are a lot of drone experts but not a lot of cinematographers in this forum thread. Shoot in the highest resolution possible always. If you need slow-motion you will have to shoot in 60p and add to a 23.98 timeline.

It will always look better (even in 1080 on vimeo/youtube etc) if it was shot in 4k vs 1080 and rendered at 1080. Final Cut Pro is probably the easiest (more professional) editing software to learn, also very similar to iMovie but with a lot more creative options. I personally use different programs for different projects.

Thanks for sharing your settings with us!
When exporting, what fps do you choose and what bitrate? VBR?CBR?
P4 filming at 1080p 60fps, I created a custom Premiere CS6 template for 1080p@60fps, I exported it at VBR 15 and 60mbps, 60fps and on YouTube it didn't look good at all. The original file looks perfect on my PC.
Anything wrong with my settings?
Thanks a lot!
2017-4-13
Use props
jacknjchn520
New

China

Im an editor and would always convert the 4k to 1080p in Quicktime Pro first. I feel I get better results than converting in the timeline.
2017-6-11
Use props
Commander4
lvl.4
Flight distance : 578094 ft

United States

scooterlam Posted at 2015-1-31 16:08
It doesn't matter if you don't have a 4K display. Regardless if you're going to down res to 1080 shooting in 4k if you don't need the slomo will ALWAYS look better than shooting in 1080. Always shoot highest resolution possible. I shoot in 5k with my epic and down-res to 1080. It looks 100x better than if I shot it at 1080.

My 2 cents

scooterlam  Thank you for your 2 cents   Has helped me very much  
2017-6-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules