DJI Osmo + Phantom BEST SETTINGS FOR VIDEO
2205 8 2016-9-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JD约翰先生
lvl.2

United States

Hi Guys,
Heading to Borneo in 10 days, and between me and my friends we'll have a DJI Osmo and a DJI Phantom 3 with us. Will put together all the footage from the holiday (which should include a lot of crazy footage immersed in surreal nature and involving some extreme sports too), and wanted to avoid a problem I had in my previous videos - video settings which got heavily compressed on youtube.

So, what settings do you suggest to stick to for both the Osmo and the Phantom 3? (quality, fps, video settings etc). Will be editing on Adobe Premiere CC.

Cheers,

JD
2016-9-19
Use props
darkjudicator
lvl.4
Ukraine

This is a problem, I tried different settings (youtube profile and custom with various bit rate, key frame distance, quality, passes) and still after uploading to youtube it compresses the video badly. You may accept the result in not very motion intensive movies, but if it has some fast motion - the result is very frustrating. So I now looking for another video hosting. Looks like dailymotion is better for this. But there is AD shown before the movie, annoying.
Anyway, my settings for full HD (I downscale 4k to full HD as usually I crop the video after fixing the shifted horizon):
frame rate: 30 (as original movie)
bit rate: 16-24 MBit
keyframe: 10
2 pass
render at maximum depth / maximum quality: on
2016-9-20
Use props
JD约翰先生
lvl.2

United States

darkjudicator Posted at 2016-9-20 08:21
This is a problem, I tried different settings (youtube profile and custom with various bit rate, key ...

Thanks for your input, mate, but that's bad news!

Sucks to hear that this seems to be a common problem amongst Osmo users, and that videos shot with the Osmo end up compressed and ruined once uploaded on Youtube. Unfortunately for me there's no option other than Youtube, since that's where I have a channel, and that's the platform I focus on mainly. I also upload on Youku (I live in China, and some of my content is in Chinese/for China), and experience similar compression on that platform aswell.

DJI, can you help? Suggestions for the best settings to avoid this problem as much as possible!?!?

Cheers
2016-9-20
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Sorry, that is a headache troubling all the  cinematographers, there's no easy solution.   Shoot in all 4K and uploading 4K videos to Youtube and let Youtube compress it for you to 1080P seems to improve the video quality, compared with shooting in  1080p.
2016-9-20
Use props
JD约翰先生
lvl.2

United States

Well, here is the video i shot in Borneo, using my Osmo and a friend's Phantom 3. Osmo footage in 1080p 60fps, and Phantom in 2.7k 30fps. Happy with the overall results, much less compression compared to my old video, yet I used pretty much the same settings so i'm not sure what worked better this time.

Anyway, here it is - Welcome to Borneo!

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTc2MzI1NDM3Ng==.html?from=s1.8-1-1.2&spm=a2h0k.8191407.0.0

or

2016-10-20
Use props
darkjudicator
lvl.4
Ukraine

Nice video. Generally I have compression problems on youtube with the Osmo videos making them fast (x10, x20) while hiking. Trees and rocks have a lot of details and need a really good bit rate to look good on fast videos. In your case there is no such a fast motion so the result is ok.
2016-10-21
Use props
Krause31
Second Officer
Flight distance : 598990 ft
  • >>>

JD约翰先生 Posted at 2016-10-21 13:51
Well, here is the video i shot in Borneo, using my Osmo and a friend's Phantom 3. Osmo footage in 10 ...

@JD,
that´s the coolest vid, the last time i have seen...very nice! Thanks for sharing!

Greetings
Markus
2016-10-21
Use props
JD约翰先生
lvl.2

United States

darkjudicator Posted at 2016-10-21 03:30
Nice video. Generally I have compression problems on youtube with the Osmo videos making them fast ( ...

Agreed! I had similar problems in my previous video shot in Myanmar. Some of the fast moving shots filmed on a scooter while crossing some very immersive paths between trees had heavy compression!
2016-11-4
Use props
JD约翰先生
lvl.2

United States

Krause31 Posted at 2016-10-21 04:52
@JD,
that´s the coolest vid, the last time i have seen...very nice! Thanks for sharing!

Cheers, glad you liked it. Many more to come ;)
2016-11-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules