Newbie to drones, couple of questions.
898 14 2016-9-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Eazy123
lvl.2
  • >>>

Hi all, I've been mulling over purchasing a drone for a couple of years now, and am considering getting the DJI3 standard - mostly just to fly around, and also plan on doing some photography/video with it here and there.  

Kinda dumb question but I wanted to get an idea: Only issue I have with getting a drone is that I live within two miles of an airport. Does anyone have a similar situation and are you still able to fly without much issue?  I've been holding off partly because of this reason.  

My state's law says any time you fly within 5 miles of an airport you have to notify the airport.  I'd hate to have to call the airport every single time I go out flying, especially if I'm not flying a couple hundred feet high.  

Also, where do you guys tend to go to fly?  I don't have a TON of wide open spaces around but would still like to fly.

2016-9-20
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

Talk to them. Many airports have a form on their website u can fill out, and they do not mind as long as there's a record. You may also ask them what the safe altitude is that close... I would not go much above 1200, but that's me, it also depends if you are in the approach or departure path...  Call the main number, tell them what your situation is, and ask for advice....
2016-9-20
Use props
Eazy123
lvl.2
  • >>>

Phantomski Posted at 2016-9-20 23:33
Talk to them. Many airports have a form on their website u can fill out, and they do not mind as lon ...

Thank you for your help.  I probably wouldn't go more than 200 in my area, let alone 1200 but I will contact them and see.
2016-9-20
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

The DJI Phantom is a terrific aircraft line. Here's a link to the GEO page where you can unlock most NFZ's by self authorizing. http://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-system/unlock
2016-9-20
Use props
billwish76
lvl.4
Flight distance : 175495 ft

im very happy with my standard  and i live in Los Angeles and yeah have to travel  to fly but worth it
2016-9-20
Use props
Eazy123
lvl.2
  • >>>

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-9-20 23:40
The DJI Phantom is a terrific aircraft line. Here's a link to the GEO page where you can unlock most ...

Oh, that's helpful, thanks!  I didn't know about that.  Turns out I'm about two blocks outside of the authorization zone, so it looks like I'm good.  I emailed the drone coordinator of my local airport to ask him some specifics.
2016-9-20
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Eazy123 Posted at 2016-9-20 23:47
Oh, that's helpful, thanks!  I didn't know about that.  Turns out I'm about two blocks outside of  ...

Sounds good and enjoy. You can download the GO app and look in the Academy section and start reading the manual and watching the tutorial videos.
From the home page, top right icon (graduation hat) will take you there.
2016-9-20
Use props
Eazy123
lvl.2
  • >>>

Thanks!  Do you guys have to get an AMA card or anything to fly?  Or just register with the FAA?
2016-9-20
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
United States

You really suppose to register with FAA in the US, as for AMA, many peoiple do as it carries some insurance and other such things, but is not legally required as is FAA registration. Do not fall for any FAA registration clones, go directly to faa website....
2016-9-20
Use props
Eazy123
lvl.2
  • >>>

Phantomski Posted at 2016-9-21 12:48
You really suppose to register with FAA in the US, as for AMA, many peoiple dop as it carries some i ...

Thank you for all the info, everyone.  I may have to hold off   I called the airport near me and the ATC as well and they said no, I cannot fly a drone at all near where I live even if I notify them, as I live directly under the path for arrivals.  There are quite a few airports near me too, so I need to figure out where the heck I could fly it before I purchase one.  I'd really like to own one but if I can barely ever use it, it won't be worth it.
2016-9-21
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
United States

U did look up your location here?
http://www.dji.com/flysafe/no-fly

I find DJI site lacking a bit.. like I do not see "green zones" in here, which are still restricted, but require caution... maybe I am using it wrong.. I sure see more stuff on my dji go app.....

There are bunch of other sites on the net that have such info.....

This may help you to find where to fly, as well as give you ammo to deal with the airport, where based on this map you actually CAN fly, within certain restrictions....

If you feel comfortable giving us your location here, maybe some other people who fly near airports could look at what's around you, and make suggestions on how to approach things?

2016-9-21
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Eazy123 Posted at 2016-9-21 22:44
Thank you for all the info, everyone.  I may have to hold off   I called the airport near me and  ...

I'm sorry you live right under the approach path and it is much safer for you not to fly while at your home.
Flying at home can get boring anyways, these aircraft have amazing cameras, buy one and take it out to cool flying sites and get photos/videos or great scenery.
2016-9-21
Use props
Eazy123
lvl.2
  • >>>

I must have been looking under the map for the Phamtom 2 - that gave the green circles and everything.  I know the drone coordinator told me anything within 5 miles needs a notification and he said "I can tell you right now they will say no as you're directly under the approach path and could cause problems".

Location would be Foxboro Drive, Wheeling, IL.

It's just kinda nuts that I can stand on the top of my apartment building to check the meters (and have a plane damn near take my head off) but I can't fly a drone at any height.  
2016-9-21
Use props
3LKdmyveFTRA
lvl.1
Flight distance : 330528 ft
United States

You weren't lying when you said that you live right under the approach path.  I work only a few miles from you but I live way out west so I do not have your issues.  I just bought a P4 2 weeks ago and have only made 2 flights on it.  Though it is fun to take pics and video of where you live, you can only do that for so long before you are looking to find better scenery.  So I wouldn't let your location hold you back.  I have really enjoyed learning about the aircraft and it's capabilities, and I am chomping at the bit to find more time behind the sticks.  I am constantly thinking of places that I want to go check out and get some video of.

2016-9-21
Use props
Eazy123
lvl.2
  • >>>

3LKdmyveFTRA Posted at 2016-9-22 04:35
You weren't lying when you said that you live right under the approach path.  I work only a few mile ...

Lol I wouldn't kid.  That's cool someone else who knows the area is on here!  Yeah out west around Johnsburg, Lake In The Hills...I'm sure there's plenty of spots to fly out there.  

So you don't regret your purchase then?  I noticed there's a drone club meeting this Saturday in the area.  Unfortunately you must have an AMA card and that's $75 right there.

2016-9-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules