Osmo Mobile: Turning off the Image Stabilization w/iphone 6/7 Plus
63592 28 2016-9-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JKPinPDX
lvl.1

So... I have heard some grumblings with IS on the Iphone 6/7 Plus models interfering/conflicting with this gimbal.

Does anybody (DJI Please chime in here if you know/can) know how to TURN OFF the Image Stabaliztion function on the iphone plus models?

I have read that if you use the FILMIC PRO APP that you CAN turn off the IS (in the app) but if we want to use the DJI GO APP, we need this function... perhaps in a future update?

DJI, please make a... "TRIPOD MODE" to enable us the ability to TURN OFF the IS in our iphones if needed. This option would greatly be appreciated.

Please tell those engineers this request.

DJI... what do you say?

2016-9-20
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

The s6 Plus works ok with the Mobile, here's a video I did with one. You just need to use the walking Ninja technique a bit more.

2016-9-20
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi, the "bobbing effect" some users report with iPhone 6+s is not about OIS, it's simply because of the weight of iPhone 6s+ requires more careful walking.
2016-9-20
Use props
TokyoStreetView
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1211378 ft
  • >>>
Japan

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-9-21 13:00
Hi, the "bobbing effect" some users report with iPhone 6+s is not about OIS, it's simply because of  ...

Nope, since when you shoot with Apple Default Video app such problems does not occur.
2016-9-20
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

TokyoStreetView Posted at 2016-9-21 13:33
Nope, since when you shoot with Apple Default Video app such problems does not occur.

It doesn't make any difference actually. There's plenty of videos on Youtube for this.
2016-9-20
Use props
TokyoStreetView
lvl.2
  • >>>
Japan

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-9-21 15:30
It doesn't make any difference actually. There's plenty of videos on Youtube for this.

Really?

So tell me why when I record in 4K with the DJI App I have shutter/jerks and not with Apple Default app.

Case in point here https://1drv.ms/v/s!Apw_JQYwYDvewhHuSxoqb1rerFwp
2016-9-20
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

TokyoStreetView Posted at 2016-9-21 15:16
Really?

So tell me why when I record in 4K with the DJI App I have shutter/jerks and not with Ap ...

Sorry, you are correct in the shutters/jerks. It's a known issue when shooting 4K on iOS device using DJI Go, this will be fixed later through firmware/app upgrade.

I was referring to the "bobbing effect" of videos shot by iPhone 6s+ some users experienced.
2016-9-21
Use props
TokyoStreetView
lvl.2
  • >>>
Japan

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-9-21 17:42
Sorry, you are correct in the shutters/jerks. It's a known issue when shooting 4K on iOS device us ...

Thanks!

I am looking forward to get this update installed!
2016-9-21
Use props
JKPinPDX
lvl.1

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-9-21 12:00
Hi, the "bobbing effect" some users report with iPhone 6+s is not about OIS, it's simply because of  ...

I was NOT concerned with the "bobbing effect" ....I was simply wondering if the DJI Go App would have the ABILITY to TURN OFF the iPhone image stabilization feature  (like Filmic Pro allows)  within the DJI GO APP.
2016-9-21
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

JKPinPDX Posted at 2016-9-21 18:25
I was NOT concerned with the "bobbing effect" ....I was simply wondering if the DJI Go App would h ...

No.  Because the image stabilization was already turned off in DJI Go for iPhone, it just doesn't offer the option to turn it on.  Filmic Pro shows that option.
2016-9-21
Use props
JKPinPDX
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-9-21 03:34
No.  Because the image stabilization was already turned off in DJI Go for iPhone, it just doesn't  ...

OH... OK... so what you are saying is that by DEFAULT, the DJI GO app for iPhone will automatically TURN OFF the built in image stabilization feature of the iPhone and allow the OSMO MOBILE to take over those duties of stabilization once connected to the iPhone? Just wanted to be clear on what you are saying.

If I understand correctly what you just stated, was the iPhones baked in image stabilization feature is turned OFF automatically once connected to the DJI GO app/osmo mobile. We will just not have the option to turn it ON while using the DJI GO APP/connect to Osmo. Is that correct? Thanks for the clarification.
2016-9-26
Use props
Mr Lupin
New

Russia

You could at least let take the control of the choice of the  lens for iPhone 7 plus which has a 58mm non stabilized
2016-9-27
Use props
eliotbaring
lvl.2
Flight distance : 492 ft
Australia

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-9-21 14:00

Hi Thor,

I actually think it is about OIS. I get perfectly smooth video when shooting with the front facing camera (no OIS) on my iPhone 6s+ and iPhone 7+ and very wobbly video shooting with the rear camera (OIS). I've tried multiple apps and all yield the same results. This can't be put down to the weight as I'm testing both cameras on the same device. When I use my Nexus 6p which is a similar weight, it is much smoother than the iPhones as it doesn't have OIS on the lens.
2016-9-27
Use props
eliotbaring
lvl.2
Flight distance : 492 ft
Australia

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-9-21 18:34
No.  Because the image stabilization was already turned off in DJI Go for iPhone, it just doesn't  ...

The OIS is enabled by default on the iPhone 6+, iPhone 6s+ and iPhone 7 and 7+. Apple doesn't allow it to be disabled currently. Even FiLMiC Pro can't fully disable it, only turn off the cinematic stabilisation setting that Apple allow access to.

I really hope DJI can work with Apple to allow the OIS to be disabled completely.
2016-9-27
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

JKPinPDX Posted at 2016-9-27 04:53
OH... OK... so what you are saying is that by DEFAULT, the DJI GO app for iPhone will automaticall ...

Yes, you're correct.  So it's nor about the stabilization conflict as we have previously thought.
2016-9-27
Use props
dldp-sp
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1065902 ft
  • >>>
United States

eliotbaring Posted at 2016-9-27 21:10
The OIS is enabled by default on the iPhone 6+, iPhone 6s+ and iPhone 7 and 7+. Apple doesn't allo ...

If you are an apple developer and you are creating an app that uses the camera then, by default, Image stabilization is turned off. You have to enable it from within code of your app if you want to use it.
2016-10-1
Use props
JRosy
lvl.1
Flight distance : 28622 ft
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-9-20 17:19
The s6 Plus works ok with the Mobile, here's a video I did with one. You just need to use the walkin ...

During the first 12 seconds of the first video, look at the street light in the upper right corner.  This is the jittery issue that everyone is complaining about.  It seems to be more noticeable on the outer edges of the frame, but I have noticed it happening in other areas in some of my videos.
2016-10-4
Use props
B1te0nTh1s
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-9-21 05:19
The s6 Plus works ok with the Mobile, here's a video I did with one. You just need to use the walkin ...

DJI-Ken what tripod is that OSMO Mobile mounted to???
2016-10-4
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

B1te0nTh1s Posted at 2016-10-5 06:45
DJI-Ken what tripod is that OSMO Mobile mounted to???

Osmo extension rod and tripod.
http://store.dji.com/product/osmo-mobile?site=brandsite&from=buy_now_bar
Capture.JPG
2016-10-5
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

JRosy Posted at 2016-10-5 03:32
During the first 12 seconds of the first video, look at the street light in the upper right corner ...

I see what you mean, do you see any of it in the center of the frame or whatever subject you are filming?
2016-10-5
Use props
user6f5a996b73
New
Flight distance : 116286 ft
Norway

Hello

Have you guys figured out a fix for the jotterness with iphones

Regards
2016-10-13
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

user6f5a996b73 Posted at 2016-10-14 04:41
Hello

Have you guys figured out a fix for the jotterness with iphones

Yes. Walking slowly will fix it
2016-10-14
Use props
videopixels
lvl.2
South Africa

I have an iPhone 6S+ and this problem will never be fixed because Apple did such a junk job with the camera, even when the image stabilization is turned off the camera still moves in it's housing, swop cameras and you will see the difference. Very informative video here:
2017-5-9
Use props
OfficiallyColin
New
Ireland

I have the same problem with my iphone SE which doesn't have OIS built in. It only has digital image stabilisation.

When I use filmic Pro with the IS turned on I get the same wobbly effect when the phone is tries to work against the osmo.
When in Filmic Pro with the IS turned off the problem is not there.

The dji app is running with the IS on and I can tell this by the fact the the image is cropped in to allow for the DIS to work. This results in the wobble effect that is similar to image stabilisation processing like the warp stabilasier in Premier Pro to correct shakey footage.  
The problem lies in the dji app. Not the phone camera.

This is such a shame as I love the image tracking but when moving the footage ends up unusable.
2017-6-8
Use props
alphacrust
lvl.2
Flight distance : 33566 ft
United Kingdom

Although I've not had the opportunity to try it myself yet but the only solution for the iPhones is to use software that takes advantage of the telephoto lens built into the iPhone.  This lens doesn't have OIS attached to it so will work like a standard fixed lens found on other phones / earlier modes of the iPhone.  The only drawback is the lens by default is zoomed in to 2x meaning you'd need to step back to compensate for the zoom when filming.  Not sure if FilmicPro has this capability.  I know ProCam 4 appears to let you choose which lens you want to use.
2017-6-8
Use props
fansdc5f5ec6
New
Thailand

It's September 2017. Anybody know how to film great footage with the iPhone 6s rear camera? Front cam is perfect. Rear gives jerking - unsteady panning. On moving forward with phone  a little smooth walking does the trick. The panning has always been horrible, no matter how smooth.

Thanks for any replies!

2017-9-18
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

fansdc5f5ec6 Posted at 2017-9-18 19:08
It's September 2017. Anybody know how to film great footage with the iPhone 6s rear camera? Front cam is perfect. Rear gives jerking - unsteady panning. On moving forward with phone  a little smooth walking does the trick. The panning has always been horrible, no matter how smooth.

Thanks for any replies!

A short video will help us to further locate the problem. Besides, what is the firmware version of Osmo Mobile?
2017-9-19
Use props
fansd6a04f10
lvl.1
Flight distance : 66207 ft
France

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-9-19 00:38
A short video will help us to further locate the problem. Besides, what is the firmware version of Osmo Mobile?

This is a video filmed site the Osmo mobile 2 and the iPhone 6s Plus in 2018. As you I’ll see the footage is horribly shaky. This is the result we get since we bought the Osmo and we are really disappointed about it!!! Never able to do stabilized video with this thing while moving when it is supposed to be the main feature!!! Not worth the money in my opinion. I would send it back if I could.
2018-9-13
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

fansd6a04f10 Posted at 2018-9-13 12:52
This is a video filmed site the Osmo mobile 2 and the iPhone 6s Plus in 2018. As you I’ll see the footage is horribly shaky. This is the result we get since we bought the Osmo and we are really disappointed about it!!! Never able to do stabilized video with this thing while moving when it is supposed to be the main feature!!! Not worth the money in my opinion. I would send it back if I could.

Hi there, sorry for the troubles with Osmo Mobile 2, did you attach any video? I didn't see any video here, could you please check again? Thank you.
2018-9-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules