Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Switching motors off
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
anthonyg
lvl.3
Flight distance : 183054 ft
United Kingdom

I'm not going to try this, but do the motors on the phantom 3 stop if you throttle off for three seconds even when it is flying ? Or does it know it is off the ground and not stop.
2016-9-21
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
First Officer
Flight distance : 324442 ft
United Kingdom

No, if it's descending it won't cut out. But beware of phantom 4 with dodgy gimbal guards that block sensors and won't allow it to descend
2016-9-21
Use props
helidan
Second Officer
Flight distance : 459951 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

As above, if it's descending the motors will not stop.
2016-9-21
Use props
Rnfaust
Second Officer
Flight distance : 734938 ft

helidan Posted at 2016-9-22 02:08
As above, if it's descending the motors will not stop.

I will add the obvious: if you hand catch, my most used method, holding it still in the air will allow the single stick shutdown.
2016-9-21
Use props
helidan
Second Officer
Flight distance : 459951 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Rnfaust Posted at 2016-9-21 19:15
I will add the obvious: if you hand catch, my most used method, holding it still in the air will a ...

Correct, done this a few times.
2016-9-21
Use props
anthonyg
lvl.3
United Kingdom

I don't hand catch, I can land it perfectly and smoothly, it was descending from 300ft behind my house last night, seemed to take ages but I daren't pull the stick back any further just in case.
2016-9-21
Use props
wmcvey
First Officer
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

anthonyg Posted at 2016-9-21 14:36
I don't hand catch, I can land it perfectly and smoothly, it was descending from 300ft behind my hou ...

Full left stick down, do it all the time. I've also heard if you yaw the craft, like 360's as you descend it comes down faster. Or simply drive around as you have left stick full down works too.
2016-9-21
Use props
mjlstudios
First Officer
Flight distance : 1540131 ft
  • >>>
United States

anthonyg Posted at 2016-9-21 14:36
I don't hand catch, I can land it perfectly and smoothly, it was descending from 300ft behind my hou ...

There might be times when you need to hand catch! If the ground is uneven, you should hand catch, if the wind picks up during flight, you need to hand catch, if at the beach, you need to hand catch, if you are on the water, you need to hand catch, if a crowd gathers around you with small children, you need to hand catch. Loose sand and dirt will kick up as your P3 nears the ground. Wind will topple over the P3 as it touches the ground, obstructing the motors and being recorded as a crash voiding your warranty. A crowd will always gather around me when I fly. You can inform adults to back away, but they tend to forget they have small children who want so much to try to catch it themselves. You have to be very careful when catching your P3. It will bite! you will bleed! You may loose a body part!
2016-9-21
Use props
anthonyg
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Thanks for the help guys, I'll dare myself to try it.
2016-9-21
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

anthonyg Posted at 2016-9-22 03:19
Thanks for the help guys, I'll dare myself to try it.

As the others have said, it will not shut the motors off while in the air, so feel free to use it all the time for descending.
2016-9-21
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Rnfaust Posted at 2016-9-22 02:15
I will add the obvious: if you hand catch, my most used method, holding it still in the air will a ...

That's also my main way of landing.
2016-9-21
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

mjlstudios Posted at 2016-9-22 03:14
There might be times when you need to hand catch! If the ground is uneven, you should hand catch,  ...

Correct, if it's very windy, uneven surface, or lots of dirt, hand catching works the best for me.
BUT, that is not recommended.
2016-9-21
Use props
Alan2542
New

United States

remember there are two ways to stop the Motors. One which is left stick down and hold, or both stickers down in in towards each other. Left stick down will not stole your Motors in-flight The other way will absolutely stop your motors.
2016-9-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules