OSMO Mobile & iPhone 7 is unusable
119831 337 2016-9-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dom
lvl.2
France

I continued my tests with my iPhone 7 Plus + DJI GO app.

Vidéo 1080p :
- standard mode : perfect if I stay  still or if I Ninja walk, totally unusable if I try to RUN, even slowly, video shakes at each step, even if I try to RUN very smoothly.
- slow Motion : unusable, jittering and video blinks.
- timelapse and m-timelapse : perfect

Vidéo 4K :
Same results as 1080p with rare jittering.

Photo : very good results, especially with 9 pictures panorama.
HDR is very nice too.

But as I wanted to use it during my trails, I think I will ask a refund to Amazon.

2016-12-2
Use props
Dom
lvl.2
France

I just made a test running with the native app and I have very decent results.
I will try with Filmic Pro and if there is no major issue, I will keep my OM.
2016-12-2
Use props
arti914
lvl.1

Germany

Dom Posted at 2016-12-2 15:35
I just made a test running with the native app and I have very decent results.
I will try with Filmi ...

i recommend the Procam 4 app. The adjustments like on a SLR/DSLR camera. Also the fps for Video is better. 4k with 24fps, 25fps, 30fps and 60fps cost 5€ or something like that.

Also i recognized that the Filmic App gets a lot of hangers when you start it. But it's up to you
2016-12-2
Use props
Dom
lvl.2
France

Thanks Arti !
Is Procam compatible with Dji Osmo Mobile ?
I waanted to try Filmic Pro because I can use the Osmo buttons like in the Dji GO app.
Thanks.
2016-12-2
Use props
arti914
lvl.1

Germany

Dom Posted at 2016-12-2 16:00
Thanks Arti !
Is Procam compatible with Dji Osmo Mobile ?
I waanted to try Filmic Pro because I can ...

yes, you can. but what i recognized, the photo button and Video button didn't work on both apps.
if you press it, it decrease only the volume of your phone - really strange...
2016-12-2
Use props
fansb232ce9d
lvl.1

United States

There's a problem with the new update and Filmic pro is working on a fix
2016-12-2
Use props
arti914
lvl.1

Germany

fansb232ce9d Posted at 2016-12-2 17:29
There's a problem with the new update and Filmic pro is working on a fix

which Problems? to connect the Osmo mobile?
2016-12-2
Use props
AMichele
lvl.1

Italy

AMichele Posted at 2016-12-2 15:01
I sent the email but I'm not very confident with the Chinese reliability (I hope I am wrong).

This is the reply from DJI support:

Osmo Mobile is compatible with (Apple):
iPhone SE, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus.

iPhone 7 compatibility will be added only next year with the new Osmo Mobile Plus (spring 2017)... my thought
2016-12-2
Use props
fans2651b5c1
New

United States

How does the iPhone 7+ image stabilization behave if one uses a steadycam-type gimbal mount like the YELANGU s40t , for example?
2016-12-2
Use props
fansb232ce9d
lvl.1

United States

Just got this...
IMG_4030.PNG
2016-12-2
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

arti914 Posted at 2016-12-2 20:40
DJI-Thor,

just called the dji Support in Germany and they told me that is not compatible with the ...

Well, they're not wrong, they mean the dual lens on iPhone 7Plus can't be fully utilized, but it's still working for iPhone 7Plus
2016-12-2
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

arti914 Posted at 2016-12-2 21:19
@ AMichele: i can imagine..
Just wrote an email to the developers of DJI. I think when more Peopl ...

They won't respond to your, this email is for communication about custom built drone systems, or industry usage of drones.
2016-12-2
Use props
arti914
lvl.1

Germany

AMichele Posted at 2016-12-2 19:00
This is the reply from DJI support:

Osmo Mobile is compatible with (Apple):

i didn't get the Point.. IPhone 6s plus has also the optical Image stabilization. So why it should work?????
I'm so angry about this shit! I will sent my Osmo mobile back for a refund! *edited for vulgar language - user has been issued a warning*
2016-12-3
Use props
LIPEFILMES
lvl.1
Brazil

Good Morning!  I bought my Osmo Mobile and used it with my Iphone 6. It always worked very well. Recently I bought an iphone 7 plus, and with a little bit of fear I went to test at Osmo.  Record using a wide lens, the filmic pro and edito no imovie.  Follow the result of the video, I did not notice much difference of the result that I had with the iphone 6. So far I liked the result.  Video Link: [url=Good Morning!  I bought my Osmo Mobile and used it with my Iphone 6. It always worked very well. Recently I bought an iphone 7 plus, and with a little bit of fear I went to test at Osmo.  Record using a wide lens, the filmic pro and edito no imovie.  Follow the result of the video, I did not notice much difference of the result that I had with the iphone 6. So far I liked the result.  Video Link:   
2016-12-6
Use props
Kasperfiil
lvl.1

Faroe Islands

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-11-30 06:44
I actually found out sticking a small piece of magnet on iPhone 6sp right next to the rear camera solves the OIS issue with Osmo Mobile, because it temporarily disables the OIS in the iPhone and causes no obvious adverse effect.  

For more info, check this  http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/how-magnets-really-affect-phones-hard-drives/

I am going to try the magnet.
Experimenting with a magnet close to camera clearly moves the stabilizing element to the side.

Here is an idea:
Would it be possible to 'lock' the element by activating one or two of the stabilizing electronic magnets while filming, thus pulling it to the side?

I guess the developers wouldn't allow it, but I don't know anything about apple API.   
2016-12-6
Use props
CarloUK
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-11-24 07:53
I'm sorry to say that, once you activated the product, DJI doesn't refund it.

What a bunch of con artists then.
2016-12-7
Use props
stavrossid
lvl.1
Flight distance : 334570 ft
Netherlands

arti914 Posted at 2016-12-2 16:50
i recommend the Procam 4 app. The adjustments like on a SLR/DSLR camera. Also the fps for Video is better. 4k with 24fps, 25fps, 30fps and 60fps cost 5€ or something like that.

Also i recognized that the Filmic App gets a lot of hangers when you start it. But it's up to you

Procam 4 for me too.Iphone 6 plus and I disable the video stabilization from the app and works reaaaaally good!
Its really sad that the main problem in Dji is the software department and not the hardware.Just like the problems I had with Phantom.
2016-12-8
Use props
fansefaf23de
lvl.2

Germany

I would like to buy the Osmo Mobile for my next trip. But actually I don't know if this is a good idea: I own a iPhone 7 plus and it seems that I will have a lot of Trouble :-(.
Do I have issue's only if I walk "like a Ninja" or is the combination iPhone 7 plus & Osmo mobile the problem?
2016-12-9
Use props
imahawki78
New

United States

I registered for the forum just to comment in this thread.  I ordered an OSMO Mobile which was supposed to be my wife's Christmas present to me.  But I own an iPhone 7 Plus and now I'm second guessing the purchase.  Knowing that if I open the device and test it out I will be unable to return it worries me.  Reading this thread as well as a thread about how the Osmo+ cannot do active tracking has me further worried because it seems like DJI is more interested in arguing with their customers about what constitutes a problem than actually resolving the problem.  There are multiple youtube videos citing and demonstrating the same problems that have collectively, millions of views.  

I'm frankly a little horrified by the DJI "reps" interactions with concerned customers on this forum.  I'll be returning my Osmo Mobile without opening it.  Just wanted to let you know you lost a sale.  I'm only one sale but I wouldn't be surprised if other people have read this thread and been scared off for the same reasons (both technical and the poor customer interactions) but didn't bother to register and post.
2016-12-9
Use props
fansb8eef363
New

Indonesia

No update yet?
2016-12-9
Use props
imahawki78
New

United States

I ended up opening the Osmo Mobile and running it through the paces.  My experience was frankly terrible so I initiated a return through Amazon.  Maybe there will be an OSMO Mobile 2 that actually works with larger phones with OIS and an application that isn't punishing to use.
2016-12-9
Use props
UdoG
lvl.2

Germany

Did someone contact Apple to

a) inform them about the issues with the Osmo Mobile?
b) add the option to deactivate OIS?

The Osmo Mobile is official available in the apple store - maybe it's interesting for Apple...

It is best when we all send apple a mail!
FYI - I started a discussion in the Apple forum:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/31082985#31082985

Interesting:

The iPhone 7 is in the compatibily list (Apple Store):

http://www.apple.com/shop/produc ... 54e38e9ccdd35635851
2016-12-10
Use props
imahawki78
New

United States

UdoG Posted at 2016-12-10 03:02
Did someone contact Apple to

a) inform them about the issues with the Osmo Mobile?

Notice that it also has a 2.5 star rating on the Apple store?  Not good exposure for DJI.
2016-12-10
Use props
fansbd5bfc96
lvl.1
Flight distance : 177789 ft
Netherlands

Is this a problem with the iPhone 7 (not the plus/+) aswell or only the bigger 7 plus/+?
2016-12-10
Use props
Ferra90
lvl.1

Italy

Another test with iphone 7 not plus and smooth walking.... i bought a gimbal for that...
2016-12-11
Use props
UdoG
lvl.2

Germany

Looks terrible :-(Which software did you use - DJI or Filmic? As far as I know you can deactivate the stabilization with Filmic, but I don't know if this solve the acutal issue with the iPhone 7.

2016-12-11
Use props
Jimmyb
lvl.3
Flight distance : 31621 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

CarloUK Posted at 2016-12-7 22:16
What a bunch of con artists then.

I raised a dispute through PayPal due to the Osmo mobile being not as described and was succesful in getting a refund despite DJI's questionable refund policy.
All credit card companies and banks (for debit card transactions) should do the same if you want to return it.

DJI can't simply sell goods in the U.K/EU and ignore the law despite what they might think.
2016-12-11
Use props
UdoG
lvl.2

Germany

If the problem is the OIS of the iPhone - do I have the same issue with the Zhiyun Smooth-II ? It seems that everything looks fine with that gimbal.
2016-12-11
Use props
cassiofm
lvl.1

Japan

UdoG Posted at 2016-12-12 15:00
If the problem is the OIS of the iPhone - do I have the same issue with the Zhiyun Smooth-II ? It seems that everything looks fine with that gimbal.

I actually gave up the idea of getting an Osmo and went for the Zhiyun Smooth II. I must say: Im really impressed. Straight from the box, with no calibration or ninja walk or even evperience (my first gimbal) i did a quick test walking on the street and the image was very smooth. There is very minimal shaking from time to time, but also i wasnt doing any ninja walk and hadnt calibrated the gimbal, and still I could see the shaking in very few occasions and because I was actively looking for them, nothing like you can see on very well edited Osmo videos I saw on youtube. Unfortunately my unit was faulty: it wouldnt charge and had some really bizarre power issues when connected to a computer (it would unplug all my devices connected via USB). I got in touch with Zhiyun on their facebook page and they were very supportive. They reckon the unit is faulty and gave me all the instructions to return the gimbal. I see that as a blessing in disguise, cuz now I discovered that Feiyu has a new gimbal that is very similar but doens require counter weights due to its adjustable axis so I am returning the Zhiyun and getting a Feiyu. I really like the look and features offered by Osmo but I got really put off by these issues and the way it's been dealt with by the company. I was considering getting a Mavic too but now Im not sure I want one...
2016-12-12
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

cassiofm Posted at 2016-12-13 10:28
I actually gave up the idea of getting an Osmo and went for the Zhiyun Smooth II. I must say: Im really impressed. Straight from the box, with no calibration or ninja walk or even evperience (my first gimbal) i did a quick test walking on the street and the image was very smooth. There is very minimal shaking from time to time, but also i wasnt doing any ninja walk and hadnt calibrated the gimbal, and still I could see the shaking in very few occasions and because I was actively looking for them, nothing like you can see on very well edited Osmo videos I saw on youtube. Unfortunately my unit was faulty: it wouldnt charge and had some really bizarre power issues when connected to a computer (it would unplug all my devices connected via USB). I got in touch with Zhiyun on their facebook page and they were very supportive. They reckon the unit is faulty and gave me all the instructions to return the gimbal. I see that as a blessing in disguise, cuz now I discovered that Feiyu has a new gimbal that is very similar but doens require counter weights due to its adjustable axis so I am returning the Zhiyun and getting a Feiyu. I really like the look and features offered by Osmo but I got really put off by these issues and the way it's been dealt with by the company. I was considering getting a Mavic too but now Im not sure I want one...

What phone are you using?
2016-12-12
Use props
Travelling Dron
lvl.2
Canada

thank god i looked at this thread, seems anyone with an iphone 7 got screwed
2016-12-12
Use props
LIPEFILMES
lvl.1
Brazil

Good Morning!  I bought my Osmo Mobile and used it with my Iphone 6. It always worked very well. Recently I bought an iphone 7 plus, and with a little bit of fear I went to test at Osmo.  Record using a wide lens, the filmic pro and edito no imovie.  Follow the result of the video, I did not notice much difference of the result that I had with the iphone 6. So far I liked the result.  Video Link: [url=Good Morning!  I bought my Osmo Mobile and used it with my Iphone 6. It always worked very well. Recently I bought an iphone 7 plus, and with a little bit of fear I went to test at Osmo.  Record using a wide lens, the filmic pro and edito no imovie.  Follow the result of the video, I did not notice much difference of the result that I had with the iphone 6. So far I liked the result.  Video Link:
2016-12-13
Use props
cassiofm
lvl.1

Japan

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-12-13 12:15
What phone are you using?

iPhone 7plus
2016-12-13
Use props
cassiofm
lvl.1

Japan

That's me testing the Zhiyun Smooth II gimbal on my iPhone 7 Plus. Out of the box, no calibration, native camera app, no ninja walk, carrying two heavy shopping bags on each arm, going downstairs on a very windy night and with absolutely ZERO experience with gimbals. The images are very smooth. I can see a bit of shaking and warping in a few occasions, specially at the beginning and when there is a big contrast but nothing like what I saw people complain about regarding DJI Osmo Mobile here. Unfortunately my unit was faulty and wouldn't charge so I had to return it, but aside for that I was really impressed with the device and the support I got from the company when I contacted them.

2016-12-13
Use props
Ferra90
lvl.1

Italy

cassiofm Posted at 2016-12-13 16:12
That's me testing the Zhiyun Smooth II gimbal on my iPhone 7 Plus. Out of the box, no calibration, native camera app, no ninja walk, carrying two heavy shopping bags on each arm, going downstairs on a very windy night and with absolutely ZERO experience with gimbals. The images are very smooth. I can see a bit of shaking and warping in a few occasions, specially at the beginning and when there is a big contrast but nothing like what I saw people complain about regarding DJI Osmo Mobile here. Unfortunately my unit was faulty and wouldn't charge so I had to return it, but aside for that I was really impressed with the device and the support I got from the company when I contacted them.

https://youtu.be/6QESqypiQ-Y

wow... it looks very smooth... is it really the OIS the problem with the osmo? i'm start thinking that this is just an excuse from dji to avoid a mass retourning osmo
2016-12-13
Use props
UdoG
lvl.2

Germany

Interesting video's

Osmo/Zhiyun/Feiyu

Feiyu
2016-12-13
Use props
Gemini
New

Singapore

Hi
Have anyone try enable the Lock Camera Len feature in IOS?  Would like to see the result.
http://www.solveyourtech.com/loc ... ing-video-iphone-7/
2016-12-14
Use props
Zoti
lvl.3
Flight distance : 101526 ft
United States

The Osmo mobile need some serious firmware upgrade. Assuming it can be fixed.

I have one I am hardly using because it's not working right with the iPhone 7 Plus I have.
2016-12-14
Use props
Kasperfiil
lvl.1

Faroe Islands

Gemini Posted at 2016-12-14 10:28
Hi
Have anyone try enable the Lock Camera Len feature in IOS?  Would like to see the result.
http://www.solveyourtech.com/lock-camera-lens-recording-video-iphone-7/

Hi Gemini.
Isn't that feature only for preventing the Iphone 7 plus from switching between the two rear cameras?
On my regular Iphone 7 (with only one rear camera) I don't have that option.
2016-12-15
Use props
Travelling Dron
lvl.2
Canada

that one youtube video shows the massive amounts of problems the osmo has
2016-12-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules