United States

Tip: The post by the administrator or moderators shield
2017-1-8
Use props
rdvid
lvl.2

Netherlands

JRosy Posted at 2016-10-3 09:59
Firstly, let me say that the Osmo Mobile is a very cool and well built product.  I really wish I could keep it, but like others who have a phone with OIS, my videos are coming out very jittery.  I really think the OIS is the issue and until my phone OS offers a way to turn off OIS, the Osmo mobile just isn't going to work for me.
I decided to do a test with an iPhone 5 I have lying around against the iPhone 7 plus.  Below are the results.  Pay close attention to the oak tree and the edge of the building on the left.  The funny thing is, even YouTube detected the shake in the iPhone 7 Plus video and offered to try to fix it.  I declined.  Both videos are directly from the device and unmodified.

sometimes it looks like the 7plus is sharper then the iphone 5.

cassiofm Posted at 2016-12-13 07:12
That's me testing the Zhiyun Smooth II gimbal on my iPhone 7 Plus. Out of the box, no calibration, native camera app, no ninja walk, carrying two heavy shopping bags on each arm, going downstairs on a very windy night and with absolutely ZERO experience with gimbals. The images are very smooth. I can see a bit of shaking and warping in a few occasions, specially at the beginning and when there is a big contrast but nothing like what I saw people complain about regarding DJI Osmo Mobile here. Unfortunately my unit was faulty and wouldn't charge so I had to return it, but aside for that I was really impressed with the device and the support I got from the company when I contacted them.

https://youtu.be/6QESqypiQ-Y

why still buy this Osmo mobile?

2017-1-8
Use props
Travelling Dron
lvl.2
Canada

so odd some videos are so smooth, do you guys use stabilizing in your editors to make it not shakey? I can be taking baby steps and the jitters are there (Iphone 7 plus) I walked ultra slow and it shakes :-/
2017-1-8
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Travelling Dron Posted at 2017-1-8 23:59
so odd some videos are so smooth, do you guys use stabilizing in your editors to make it not shakey? I can be taking baby steps and the jitters are there (Iphone 7 plus) I walked ultra slow and it shakes :-/

It also puzzles me, apparently the iPhone 7/ 7P or 6sp experience less OIS issues on some people's Osmo Mobile than others.
2017-1-10
Use props
UdoG
lvl.2

Germany

Are this the message what we are waiting for?

http://forum.dji.com/thread-81253-1-1.html

Dear Waleed,

Thank you for raising your concern here in DJI Technical Support.

We do apologize for the delayed response to your email. About this issue there was a new firmware released for the Osmo Mobile that is a solution for this issue. You need to use the latest DJI Go App v3.1.2 to make sure that Osmo Mobile will work properly. Kindly check our website at DJI.COM for the latest firmware of OSmo Mobile.

If you have any other inquiry, please do not hesitate to send us an email so we can better assist you especially when it comes with our products and services.

We look forward to a successful working relationship in the future.

Thank you for choosing DJI.

Best Regards,

2017-1-20
Use props
Gael31
lvl.1

France

Hi,

I have an iPhone 6s Plus and a DJI Osmo mobile, and many test later, in my opinion, the best it's use native camera app or filmic pro (but stabilisation enabled). I think that hardware stabilization must go hand in hand with software stabilization. Disabling software stabilization creates more image jitter than if it is enabled.
I made a video that shows the difference, it is in French but subtitled in English :
2017-1-21
Use props
A1000
lvl.3
Flight distance : 149760 ft
United Kingdom

Gael31 Posted at 2017-1-21 11:14
Hi,

I have an iPhone 6s Plus and a DJI Osmo mobile, and many test later, in my opinion, the best it's use native camera app or filmic pro (but stabilisation enabled). I think that hardware stabilization must go hand in hand with software stabilization. Disabling software stabilization creates more image jitter than if it is enabled.

Thanks for sharing,. It's interesting as I have come to a similar conclusion wrt the apps and only use DJI Go when I have to currently.  Hopefully it will develop over time.  I hadn't thought of leaving the stabilisation enabled which I will try as you may have something.  I have been using the Mavis video app recently which I quite like but with the cinematic OIS (software) disabled.
2017-1-21
Use props
Polish_Films
lvl.1
Flight distance : 56099 ft
United States

Hi,

Thank you for that video.  I have some of the bounce issues but I am asking a LOT of perfection from this device.  I should have some test videos soon.
2017-1-21
Use props
CarloUK
lvl.3
United Kingdom

I purchased mine from Apple and have since complained to them. They should not be selling it if its not compatable. I sent an email to their Tech department.
2017-1-21
Use props
CarloUK
lvl.3
United Kingdom

and posted on the feedback site
2017-1-21
Use props
Polish_Films
lvl.1
Flight distance : 56099 ft
United States

Hi,

Looking at the video on a larger monitor now, it seems the ios native app gets the nod for quality over the filmic.  Interesting.

Not sure I am ready to roll out $10 for that.
2017-1-21
Use props
A1000
lvl.3
United Kingdom

CarloUK Posted at 2017-1-21 14:05
and posted on the feedback site

But interesting how all the slightly negative comments seemed to disappear from their site a couple of weeks before Xmas
2017-1-21
Use props
Gael31
lvl.1

France

Since my video, I made an update of the Dji osmo mobile (version n°1.4.0.60), and for me it's better. It's not the perfection, but it's better.  We feel that the motors of the Osmo Mobile are more smooth (flexible), so there is less  jitter effect. In my opinion it's better with native app, but with dji go app, the difference is blatant, before and after the update.

Sorry but I have a very very average English
2017-1-28
Use props
A1000
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Gael31 Posted at 2017-1-28 01:27
Since my video, I made an update of the Dji osmo mobile (version n°1.4.0.60), and for me it's better. It's not the perfection, but it's better.  We feel that the motors of the Osmo Mobile are more smooth (flexible), so there is less  jitter effect. In my opinion it's better with native app, but with dji go app, the difference is blatant, before and after the update.

Only just seen that there's a firmware update so updating now.

Please don't apologise for your English, it's perfectly good and great to have your contributions
2017-1-28
Use props
A1000
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Gael31 Posted at 2017-1-28 01:27

Just been playing with the new firmware shooting at 4K with my iPhone 6S+. With Mavis and the native camera app it is smoother.  With the DJI app it now judders more and very noticeable.

I've also tried Mavis with the stabilisation on and off and I think it's slightly better with it on so you could be right with your ideas but I'll try and test it further when I'm out.
2017-1-28
Use props
Ruuud
New

Turkey

I was planning to buy an osmo mobile, but I have decided not to buy until it works with iphone 7 smoothly. Is there anyone try it with latest firmware and latest app with iphone 7 plus ?
2017-1-30
Use props
Deho
lvl.2
France

I confirm that with the update version n°1.4.0.60 there is a slight improvement,  It's still far form being perfect and remain behind a Feiyu G4 Pro, but apparently there is a track to be followed by DJI engineering, hoping that the weight of the 7 Plus is not THE issue ...
2017-1-30
Use props
ComPH
lvl.3

United States

rdvid Posted at 2017-1-8 15:18
sometimes it looks like the 7plus is sharper then the iphone 5.

cassiofm Posted at 2016-12-13 07:12

I had precisely the same experience and actions.
2017-1-30
Use props
AlexBeCool
lvl.1
United States

sadly. i just received my OM yesterday and then i find this topic today. Come on, i own iphone 7+ TOO.
i activated the device so can i get refund or not ?  
btw, the office store said it should come with free gifts(base + battery) but i never see them( i purchased it from the DJ office store on Newegg in promotion period)
2017-2-1
Use props
young-nyc 3
lvl.4
United States

AlexBeCool Posted at 2017-2-1 12:46
sadly. i just received my OM yesterday and then i find this topic today. Come on, i own iphone 7+ TOO.
i activated the device so can i get refund or not ?  
btw, the office store said it should come with free gifts(base + battery) but i never see them( i purchased it from the DJ office store on Newegg in promotion period)

As mentioned before no matter what gimble/ stabilizer you get, you'll always have this issue,
So it's not a DJI isolated matter.
I've used several other gimbals from other companies and it's the same ole, i'm glad to have the osmo mobile because of all it's features compared to the other brands.
2017-2-1
Use props
CarloUK
lvl.3
United Kingdom

young-nyc 3 Posted at 2017-2-1 18:48
As mentioned before no matter what gimble/ stabilizer you get, you'll always have this issue,
So it's not a DJI isolated matter.
I've used several other gimbals from other companies and it's the same ole, i'm glad to have the osmo mobile because of all it's features compared to the other brands.

Your talking rubbish. The Osmo mobile and iPhone 7 judders. If you can't see it then your blind. I have other gimbals and they are much smoother. If you put a go pro camera on the Osmo you will see the difference. Some may live with it. I still have mine, don't use it much mainly for time lapse or I shoot video very slowly. DJI should be putting it on the box and apple should remove it from the shelves. Then when you buy it you are aware and you take your pick.  
2017-2-2
Use props
young-nyc 3
lvl.4
United States

CarloUK Posted at 2017-2-2 11:07
Your talking rubbish. The Osmo mobile and iPhone 7 judders. If you can't see it then your blind. I have other gimbals and they are much smoother. If you put a go pro camera on the Osmo you will see the difference. Some may live with it. I still have mine, don't use it much mainly for time lapse or I shoot video very slowly. DJI should be putting it on the box and apple should remove it from the shelves. Then when you buy it you are aware and you take your pick.

what rubbish am i talking about?
i'm merely mentioning that no matter what gimbal you use with the iPhone7 you'll get this issue,
so it's NOT a DJI isolated issue.
Maybe you should read a bit more carefully.
2017-2-3
Use props
ceo0
New
United States

My DJI Osmo Mobile doesn't work, almost at all. I hoped it was just the firmware upgrade, but that wasn't it. In sum, the gimbal bears no relationship whatsoever to how you point it or control it. It simply is broken. I can't find anywhere to get it fixed. Any thoughts?
2017-2-4
Use props
young-nyc 3
lvl.4
United States

You need to contact customer support. Hopefully it's still under the warranty period.
2017-2-4
Use props
Bizkitcan
lvl.1

United States

DJI OSMO Mobile has significant issues with the iPhone 7+.... All of the above, here is some juddering while tracking.
2017-2-4
Use props
Bizkitcan
lvl.1

United States

A1000 Posted at 2017-1-21 15:31
But interesting how all the slightly negative comments seemed to disappear from their site a couple of weeks before Xmas

Apples Forums are bunch of echoing chambers, they censor so much. You cannot say anything bad or ask why isn't this working. They flag it and remove it. N@z1s.
2017-2-4
Use props
Gael31
lvl.1

France

Bizkitcan Posted at 2017-2-4 21:32
DJI OSMO Mobile has significant issues with the iPhone 7+.... All of the above, here is some juddering while tracking. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tko9oVS4chQ

I have the same problem with my 6s plus, just with the tracking mode. We feels the engines shaking, this problem is not present before the update.
2017-2-5
Use props
Bizkitcan
lvl.1

United States

There are some significant bluetooth issues as well when it comes to the iPhone 7+. Panorama pictures of the 9 tiles as well as other functions, just STOP halfway or dont post all 9 shots.
2017-2-5
Use props
young-nyc 3
lvl.4
United States

DJI OSMO Mobile has significant issues with the iPhone 7+.... All of the above, here is some juddering while tracking. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tko9oVS4chQ

Just to clarify, you were using (Active Tracking) Mode for this video and not just regular recording, is this correct?

If you weren't using active tracking to record and you had the shuttering, I would recommend using the native camera app or filmic pro app for recording.
2017-2-5
Use props
Gael31
lvl.1

France

young-nyc 3 Posted at 2017-2-5 20:21
Just to clarify, you were using (Active Tracking) Mode for this video and not just regular recording, is this correct?

In my case, when I use active tracking mode, motors give hooks, so the iPhone is shaken, so there are a shuttering effect. This a recent problem, but I d'ont know if the problem is gimbal update or DJI Go update or both. Normally I use native app or Filmic pro.
I hope you understand because when I must use technical words, it's not easy for me ^^
2017-2-6
Use props
young-nyc 3
lvl.4
United States

Gael31 Posted at 2017-2-6 00:00
In my case, when I use active tracking mode, motors give hooks, so the iPhone is shaken, so there are a shuttering effect. This a recent problem, but I d'ont know if the problem is gimbal update or DJI Go update or both. Normally I use native app or Filmic pro.
I hope you understand because when I must use technical words, it's not easy for me ^^

ahhh ok i understand.
so the problem is the jerky movements when using active tracking =)
2017-2-6
Use props
ComPH
lvl.3

United States

To me the judder is more due to frame rate mismatch somewhere. It is sometimes caused by the "TV" rates vs "computer" rates (23.976 FPS vs 24 FPS) played back on 60 Hz monitor, sometimes there is a frame skipped or added, causing little periodic judder easily seen in motion footage.

Some editors make this worse as well. That is not caused by the gimbal. It also looks little different, like a little studder.

The problem with the gimbal is rather slow bobbing, caused by the fact that the whole rig moves up and down a little as you walk. That is much smoother and slower oscillation of the whole image, looks like it were filmed on a boat in smooth waves, corresponding to the steps. That one is really not caused by the stabilizer, but by the fact that these are only 3 axes stabilizers, that don't stabilize vertical motion at all. That's why you are asked to do the "Ninja walk". Big Steadicams do the same thing, until the operator straps on a vest with a spring balancing scheme, that stabilizes the cameras from bouncing up and down (4th axis stabilization). The heavier the camera the better, that system is basically a mechanical low pass filter. Often the Steadicam operator walks in fast cadence, sort of tiptoe, because the faster frequencies with lower amplitudes don't transfer to the camera as much. Sort of like car suspension system (old heavy Cadillacs - they don't vibrate with the road surface, but follow the hills).

The electronic camera stabilizer acts like the car suspension, it "zooms" electronically into the frame a little and "moves" around as it picks smaller part the sensor. The "zoomed" output appears to be following the operator's aim slowly, and ignores quick moves along any axis. If you deploy it, and use the proper gimbal mode so that the camera doesn't change pitch or pan as you walk, it will help with the 4th axis stabilization (bobbing). Best thing is to keep the gimbal in a mode where it points exactly the same direction during given clip capture, and try to keep the individual takes not too long.

The same techniques (zoom into the frame and move around it) is used when stabilizing in Post with editors that offer stabilization. Those have the advantage that you can "dial" up or down how aggressive you want the stabilization (zoom) for given part of the clip, so you don't lose too much of the frame.

They also have ability to minimize the "jello effect" caused by the "rolling shutter" of the CMOS sensors that just about all the cameras use these days.

So there are several stabilizers involved - a mechanical one (steadicam, gimbal), outside the camera, inside the camera can be OIS and/or EIS - none of these effect output resolution or detail. There maybe additional EIS in the software, such as Camera or Filmic Pro - these do effect the frame detail and can be generally turned off. Finally there can be stabilization in the editor (Post) that, if there, is also selectable and does effect the frame detail. (I purposely say detail instead of resolution, because that is another subject of discussion that is generally not understood).

Finally, if you do this, it is better to take the video in higher resolution than the one you wish to publish, so you don't lose details as you "zoom in" as long as your final output resolution is lower than the capture one. The camera electronic stabilizer and the Post stabilizer in the editor, work on the same principle, but have different impact and advantages both.

Too me too much is expected from the gimbal, and therefore too much is blamed on it.
2017-2-7
Use props
ComPH
lvl.3

United States

Deleted by user
2017-2-7
Use props
ComPH
lvl.3

United States

ComPH Posted at 2017-2-7 12:36
Some of the other 4th (Z) axes stabilizing can be achieved via longer pole, that isolates the body motion from the gimbal a little. For the standard Osmo, DJI makes Z axis extension, that is very good. Need one for the Mobile version. Some folks eve do their own, even though these aren't generally as good as the DJI version: https://store.dji.com/product/osmo-z-axis, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aIJZ17w2U4.

2017-2-7
Use props
ComPH
lvl.3

United States

Also see: https://store.dji.com/product/osmo-z-axis and http://forum.dji.com/thread-44426-1-1.html
2017-2-7
Use props
young-nyc 3
lvl.4
United States

DJI should really make the z-axis for osmo mobile users.
it's just too bad it's only for the zenmuse M1 for now.
2017-2-8
Use props
MikeSaintcross
New

Spain

Thank you for this thread. I took the decision to buy the OSMO MOBILE until we have a solution for this issue.
2017-2-18
Use props
fans1ad286f7
New

United States

From all of the research I've seen...forums, youtube etc, the problem is with the DJI Go app.  I have the iPhone 7 plus and use Filmic pro and have no juttering problems.  There seems to be an issue with the stabilization programs on the iPhone 7 and the dji go app working against each other (if you will).  Filmic pro solved any issues I had.  If you don't want to spend the $10 than just stick with the native os cam app until DJI Go is completely fixed.  jm2c...
2017-2-18
Use props
SrMi
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3425 ft
  • >>>
United States

In some brief testing, I have also not found any obvious problems (using Filmic Pro). Here is a behind the scene footage using DJI Osmo Mobile, ND filters and Moment lenses: . More info about the shoot is at https://goo.gl/QjtW5s
2017-2-19
Use props
RoomierPanda
lvl.3
Flight distance : 187595 ft
  • >>>
United States

All Osmo Mobile w/ Iphone 7/7+ footage that people use as examples of footage without the juttering problem, has the juttering problem. Does some of it look passable? Yeah, sure, a lot of it depends on how much movement there is, and how you're moving, but either way, all footage I've seen, including every video in this thread, has the issue.

If you claim to not have the problem, please post your footage! I would love for this to not be the case.
2017-2-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules