OSMO Mobile & iPhone 7 is unusable
119903 337 2016-9-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_hhHAXZq
lvl.1

United States

Thanks for the insight Adriano.

It is a shame that Apple itself isnt clear non image stabilization and its controls in iOS.
https://developer.apple.com/libr ... P40013599-CH107-SW4
Indicates that:

Optical Image Stabilization (OIS)
For video capture, the AVCaptureConnection preferredVideoStabilizationMode property automatically enables both optical and digital stabilization on devices supporting video OIS.
But reading the details on the preferredVideoStabilizationMode indicates "Set this property to a value other than off to enable stabilization whenever the specified mode is available. Enabling video stabilization introduces additional latency into the video capture pipeline and may consume more system memory depending on the stabilization mode and format. "

This implies that values other than off add some form of software video processing since it adds delay to the processing pipeline (if it was pure hardware only OIS no delay would be introduced).
The implication is that setting to OFF does disable the active stabilization.
But I'm wondering if with OFF the else isn't locked solid, so while the OIS is off, the lense is moving in the iPhone 6plus,6Splus,7,7plus.

Then Apple defines: Cinematic Video Stabilization which is even more compute intensive software stabilization code than the software that is tied in to the OIS setting.

It will be interesting to see if the coming iPhone 8 (or whatever they call it, X, etc) has hardware that provides for software to lock the lense down - and how that works on the Osmo Mobile.

As is the cheaper Feiyu G4 Pro appears to be a better option for folks with an apple OIS phone model.
2017-8-15
Use props
Deho
lvl.2
France

Is the problem solved with iPhone 8 ? Can you stop its OIS ?
2017-9-19
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Deho Posted at 2017-9-19 08:59
Is the problem solved with iPhone 8 ? Can you stop its OIS ?

Hi, sir, we will do the corresponding test once we get the iPhone X.  Any update will let you know then. Thanks.
2017-9-19
Use props
Frozen Tundra
New

United States

APPLE just released iOS 11,  any idea if that has an option to fix the jitter
2017-9-20
Use props
Mikolaj
lvl.3
Flight distance : 108471 ft
Poland

Frozen Tundra Posted at 2017-9-20 10:36
APPLE just released iOS 11,  any idea if that has an option to fix the jitter

No, it has not. OIS is not software controlled.
2017-9-22
Use props
fansa4debd8f
lvl.2
Flight distance : 281480 ft
Italy

Also with iPhone 8 is a problem
2017-9-28
Use props
fansa4debd8f
lvl.2
Flight distance : 281480 ft
Italy

Little with iPhone 8 but  present
2017-9-29
Use props
nrgpix
New
Flight distance : 2497 ft
Switzerland

So disappointed with this "toy".
I have  used the Feiyu-Tech 3 axis gimbal for a number of years. with hard running, fast driving over rough ground and  cycling over Swiss cobble stones. It holds like a rock for as long as the battery provide power.
DJI Osmo mobile. Out of the box, fully charged, using iPhone 7 collapses  in a disappointing heap as the gimbals shut down almost immediately it has nothing other than a  steady walk.
Blue tooth connectivity - hit and miss. Frequently drops connection in middle of filming, so the buttons no longer connect. Panning and rotations become erratic
I bought on the  basis that   DJI has a reputation of robust kit suitable for full cinematic use. I am confident that if this was ANY of their premium range they would sit up, take notice and issue either  product recall OR firmware to remediate the issues.
Regretfully, it is in the domestic "fun" market place, which perhaps DJI feels it is appropriate to snub with refusal to acknowledge it has related a product/software truly not fit for purpose.
2017-9-30
Use props
nrgpix
New
Flight distance : 2497 ft
Switzerland

I concur - DJI should take as much care with resolving this "domestic" non cinematic item as they to resolving issues with Inspire, Ronin  or any other in their range with significant higher price tags.
2017-9-30
Use props
fans0ef57e85
lvl.1

Israel

Hello everyone,
I have Osmo and the device that holds the phone is not suitable for the iPhone 7+,
does anyone have an idea? Thanks
2017-10-12
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

fans0ef57e85 Posted at 2017-10-12 10:52
Hello everyone,
I have Osmo and the device that holds the phone is not suitable for the iPhone 7+,
does anyone have an idea? Thanks

iPhone 7 plus is compatible with Osmo Mobile.
Have you removed the case?
What do you mean ''not suitable''? It fails to be balanced before switching on?
2017-10-12
Use props
Dav
New

France

Unfortunately, the iPhone 8 has the OIS issue

www . youtube . com / watch?v=fefk27Zakqw
2017-10-18
Use props
Superadej
lvl.1
Flight distance : 183399 ft
Indonesia

Hey guys, have anyone tried the magnets fix? I just bought Osmo Mobile yesterday in order to use it with i7+, but I wasn’t smart enough to read about the compatibility issue first... and now it’s already too late to return it, because I have already activated it... I’m currently in Bali, while buying OM I was hoping to get cinematic look on my videos, as I’m able to record with my mavic, but this omnipresent bobbling effect is driving me nuts. And as I was astonished by the versatility of mavic, I’m completely annoyed that the company such as dji didn’t state on their website about occurring issues... I have used any possible settings on stock camera/dji go/mavis or filmic apps (except for sacrificing quality, as I’m 4K, supercrisp image kind of a guy), but the image is still unusable.. I (almost) always record according to the rule of thumb with shutter set as a double of the frame rate, but none of tricks seem to work... please help! I don’t want to come back from this heaven with nothing but the drone shoots...
2017-11-13
Use props
LIPEFILMES
lvl.1
Brazil

I'm using Osmo Mobile with the iphone 7 plus, and so far it's working perfectly. For the recording I use APP: Filmic Pro, and for editing I use LumaFusion, very good for editing videos.

Follow the link with the last video I edited so that they can evaluate.

hugs

2017-12-6
Use props
capmax
lvl.1
France

Is it no way to disassembly the iphone and physically block the ois camera with an object or with some glue ?

I just buy an iphone X and like to buy the osmo. Are some people happy with it despite the jitter problem ?
2017-12-20
Use props
MavCT
lvl.2
Flight distance : 228530 ft
United States

LIPEFILMES Posted at 2017-12-6 07:43
I'm using Osmo Mobile with the iphone 7 plus, and so far it's working perfectly. For the recording I use APP: Filmic Pro, and for editing I use LumaFusion, very good for editing videos.

Follow the link with the last video I edited so that they can evaluate.

So you turn off stabilization in Filmic Pro and if so do you find that it helps?
2018-1-21
Use props
Mikolaj
lvl.3
Flight distance : 108471 ft
Poland

Is there any official statement about the compatibility of Oslo Mobile 2 with the phones with built-in OIS? I'm wondering, if anything has been improved in this space.
2018-1-22
Use props
kr1stjans
lvl.1

Slovenia

I just bought DJI Osmo Mobile 3 and of course I didn't know about this issue.

The issue persists on Iphone 11 Pro:

streamable.com/6k96gi

Utterly disappointed that this issue isn't transparently written everywhere. Shame on you, DJI.
2020-7-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules