Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Is the Fine Art Photo Comercial?
1105 6 2016-9-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Aydin Buyuktas
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4301 ft
Turkey

I am planning to make a fine art photo shooting trip to USA in my style:
https://www.facebook.com/aydinbuyuktasphotography/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1667274313554700
I regestered my drone (Inspire) and not planning to pass over 400 feet.
Do i need to get comercial flying certificate for USA?
2016-9-21
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

It this for hobby purposes, or do you plan on making money from the footage you take?
2016-9-21
Use props
Aydin Buyuktas
lvl.2
Turkey

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-9-22 00:14
It this for hobby purposes, or do you plan on making money from the footage you take?

Yes, if someone wants to buy it.
2016-9-21
Use props
jaharrell
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15417 ft
United States

A tricky question if one wants it to be by which I mean that it could be seen either way but you are not “flying for hire” so I would say no. No one is paying you to fly. If someone asked you to photograph something and you accepted pay for the flight that would require a certificate.
The images that you acquire from your drone are for your use even if some of the images find their way into your portfolio and thus on sale.
My experience asking the FAA questions (I hold a Commercial Pilot’s license) about drones and their use has not been productive or informative. I would say that as long as you are careful about observing all of the regulations (which are now clearly published and freely available) you are good to go.
You would be creating Art not flying for hire.
I hope that you have a good and productive trip and enjoy your stay here in the US.
2016-9-22
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Aydin Buyuktas Posted at 2016-9-22 13:55
Yes, if someone wants to buy it.

Jaharrell provides a good approach to this conundrum, since the guidelines for commercial use can sometimes be in the gray area. Try to use your best judgement and wish you the best of luck.
2016-9-22
Use props
Aydin Buyuktas
lvl.2
Turkey

jaharrell@aol.c Posted at 2016-9-22 15:49
A tricky question if one wants it to be by which I mean that it could be seen either way but you are ...

Thank you so much for your good wishes. I totally agree with you. In our country rules are simillar except you have to pay between 500$ to 800$ for 6 day training to get certificate. Its really much for student who trying to make art projects with drone. Also they will never or rarely use drone in other projects. Finally i considered that its better to get comercial certificate in my country and try to use them in other countries. I just thougt  its better to wait one more month for this trip untill i get my certificate. There must be also rules like driving licence. None US(Also for other countries) citiziens should use their drones for one month without getting local licance or something. I am sure US can get more benefit than other countries from this rule. Thank you so much for your best wishes again.
2016-9-22
Use props
Aydin Buyuktas
lvl.2
Turkey

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-9-22 19:33
Jaharrell provides a good approach to this conundrum, since the guidelines for commercial use can  ...

You are right, we can watch so many videos about misunderstood. Thank you so much for your wishes. Best,
2016-9-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules