External Temperature Sensor
3932 6 2016-9-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
shawn_
lvl.3
Flight distance : 256791 ft
United States

Has anybody successfully mounted an external temperature sensor onto an M600 or any other UAS? I am flying my M600 near high temperature items and need a way to accurately monitor temperature exposure of the aircraft to ensure safety. Is there an external sensor that can report back to a base station that is lightweight with good range?
Thank you everybody.
2016-9-23
Use props
ricci2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 61158 ft
  • >>>
France

Greetings Shawn,

I had to take the M600 to extreme heights where the cold might effect the electronics for a military experiment, so without fitting an independent transmitter and sensor array I simply bought a small but good low temperature unit with a large display and probes and fitted it to the craft. Then used the second camera option the LB2 has and just pointed a mobus camera at the display, focused and then used a second controller to view the numbers, if you don't have a second display you can attach a monitor to the hdmi on the controller and do picture in picture. PiP only works in external monitor or use video goggles direct to the Hdmi out. I now have a thermal camera so the above sits on the shelf. I am developing a range-finder using the same system because it worked so well. 4000m (13,000ft) in protected airspace and the craft was at -11ºc and batteries at 30% after 15mins, video signal ok, transmission signal orange. Major problem was fogging of the lens until it thermally stabilised.
There is another bit of software that has telemetry and reports temperature and thats is Auto flight logic, I am beta testing and it has some great features but is not designed for a two camera setup. I don't know where the sensor is on the craft however I expect it to be in the flight controller or IMU, as this is where the most sensitive electronics live. . I did get the M600 back in good shape, plenty of condensation though.
One other method I have used is thermal paint, it changes colour with heat and stays that way so when it lands you can see what temps the craft was exposed too, not hi-tech but effective and we use it in F1 all the time. I suppose you could use a max min thermometer and review when landed.
If you want further info please feel free to ask
r
2016-9-23
Use props
shawn_
lvl.3
United States

ricci2 Posted at 2016-9-23 18:52
Greetings Shawn,

I had to take the M600 to extreme heights where the cold might effect the electron ...

Ricci, very interesting reply. Thank you for your insight and listing the details of your experimentations so far. This will surely help. I'm interested to see what you think of  Auto Flight with testing. 13,000' is impressive!
2016-9-27
Use props
ricci2
Second Officer
  • >>>
France

shawn_ Posted at 2016-9-27 15:46
Ricci, very interesting reply. Thank you for your insight and listing the details of your experime ...

Greetings Shawn,
If I were honest I pooed my pants sending the M600 that high, just didn't know if the atmosphere was dense enough to give any lift, interesting thing is I could not hover, had to use almost full power to maintain height so the bats took a beating and gravity helped bring it down not under control I might add.
The decent rate was twice the normal until 1000m when it slowed to something controllable. love to show the footage but it is not mine to share alas.   Re the auto flight, it has been designed more for the domestic drone world but has some great features so I use it as part of a tool box to do stuff the go app has issues with. They are still taking beta testers if you want to try for your self?
I will have a flight to see what temps it reads at 10m 20m 100m 400m. and let you know.
May I ask where you film?

r
2016-9-27
Use props
ricci2
Second Officer
  • >>>
France

ricci2 Posted at 2016-9-27 16:37
Greetings Shawn,
If I were honest I pooed my pants sending the M600 that high, just didn't know if ...

Hello Shawn,
Just had a test flight to see if Auto flight recorded temperatures, it did but classified them as batt temp, ranged from 28ºc to 32ºc for a ten min flight with a background temp of 22ºc.  sorry thats not any use to you.

r
2016-9-27
Use props
shawn_
lvl.3
United States

ricci2 Posted at 2016-9-27 09:37
Greetings Shawn,
If I were honest I pooed my pants sending the M600 that high, just didn't know if ...

Thanks for such a good write up. I fly in the US, various parts, so far the max altitude was around 2500' above sea level, staying within 400' of the ground or structures we're surveying.
I know how it is to have amazing pictures and videos and not be able to share! Sad the auto flight doesn't record the data like I'm looking for. I think I'm going to try the dual camera set up, as we have LB and the components to make it happen. Thanks again, looking forward to future communications with you.
2016-10-3
Use props
ricci2
Second Officer
  • >>>
Spain

Hell Shawn,
I was thinking about your temp problem and I found this link  its a remote temp datalogger. Not live to ground but will give you post data in graph format if needed, I am going to get one and see how it performes.
All the best.

Ricci

http://news.banggood.com/u/nrd.p ... OU4wbFZHTQ%3D%3D%7C
2016-10-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules