Pan skipping issue
3663 37 2016-9-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
breezeway95
lvl.3
Flight distance : 826854 ft
Canada

I received my Osmo+ yesterday however I've worked in TV/Film production for 30+ years.

In my initial tests I noticed skipping in an "arm pan" (not panning using the joystick control) that is shown in the link below. The pan has several speed adjusts rather than smooth right to left movement.

Would someone tell me what causes this and what can be done to eliminate the issue?

thanks
Lee

2016-9-23
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

have you gone through the gimbal settings and made adjustments.
2016-9-23
Use props
breezeway95
lvl.3
Canada

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-9-23 16:02
have you gone through the gimbal settings and made adjustments.

Are you asking if I have calibrated the gimbal or if I am using custom gimbal settings?
2016-9-23
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

breezeway95 Posted at 2016-9-24 04:23
Are you asking if I have calibrated the gimbal or if I am using custom gimbal settings?

I don't have a + but the regular Osmo has a bunch of gimbal settings like Smootrack speed things like that.Is there an advanced page?
2016-9-23
Use props
breezeway95
lvl.3
Canada

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-9-23 16:35
I don't have a + but the regular Osmo has a bunch of gimbal settings like Smootrack speed things li ...

Yes there is an advanced page.
2016-9-23
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

breezeway95 Posted at 2016-9-24 04:40
Yes there is an advanced page.

Play with those settings and see what you get.
2016-9-23
Use props
dennish
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

@breezeway95 you ever find a solution to your issue?  I just received my OSMO+ and I have the same skipping issue when manually panning.
2016-9-25
Use props
breezeway95
lvl.3
Canada

dennish Posted at 2016-9-25 10:46
@breezeway95 you ever find a solution to your issue?  I just received my OSMO+ and I have the same s ...

Dennish,

I plan to do some testing today.  DJI support wasn't much help so I'm on my own.  Their advice was
"Play with those settings and see what you get."
2016-9-25
Use props
dennish
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

breezeway95 Posted at 2016-9-26 01:29
Dennish,

I plan to do some testing today.  DJI support wasn't much help so I'm on my own.  Their  ...

@breezeway95

I did the same to no avail, changed settings - Smoothtrack Settings, speed, headband, accel, etc and none worked.  Set back to factory default. I will continue, please let me know if you find something and I will do the same!  Somewhat disappointing :-(
2016-9-25
Use props
breezeway95
lvl.3
Canada

dennish Posted at 2016-9-25 11:35
@breezeway95

I did the same to no avail, changed settings - Smoothtrack Settings, speed, headband ...

I did some repeated pan tests this afternoon and uploaded to YouTube.  Most of the presets didn't have the skipping issue however the 4th one in the series did. It's a custom preset based on Medium with acceleration set to 30. Not sure what that says since I didn't do additional repeats.
I'm finding that the iPhone preview isn't a reliable way to determine whether the skipping issue is present. I was seeing skipping as I was panning real-time that wasn't present in final videos.

Here's my tests
2016-9-25
Use props
dennish
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

breezeway95 Posted at 2016-9-26 05:46
I did some repeated pan tests this afternoon and uploaded to YouTube.  Most of the presets didn't  ...

Here is mine - perhaps I am doing something wrong - but I still have skipping...

2016-9-25
Use props
breezeway95
lvl.3
Canada

dennish Posted at 2016-9-25 17:25
Here is mine - perhaps I am doing something wrong - but I still have skipping...

https://youtu.be ...

dennish,

Here's a youtube link of the original pan that made me make this post. It plays back much better than the google link that I had first posted.  You can see the pan speed up and slow down almost like it's sticking and then letting go. The test I uploaded today is relatively skip free so I hope this isn't an intermittent issue.

Your pans are relatively smooth compared to the link below. Plus it looks like it's considerably warmer where you are. :-) Not many Palms around here.

2016-9-25
Use props
HellFire77
lvl.3
Flight distance : 390863 ft
  • >>>
Canada

breezeway95 Posted at 2016-9-26 10:17
dennish,

Here's a youtube link of the original pan that made me make this post. It plays back muc ...

I just got the OSMO+ and have the same problem, along with a few other problems. I panned to the right and it skipped like your video, then I looked up a bit then back down and panned back to the left but it didn't skip on the way back. It seems the problem is very intermittent but its still a big problem that wreaks videos.
2016-9-26
Use props
charmthepi
lvl.1

breezeway95 Posted at 2016-9-26 01:29
Dennish,

I plan to do some testing today.  DJI support wasn't much help so I'm on my own.  Their  ...

I know, right! with dji your on your own with a lot of things it seems! their answers and support really sucks, especially at this price point!
2016-9-28
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

breezeway95 Posted at 2016-9-26 05:46
I did some repeated pan tests this afternoon and uploaded to YouTube.  Most of the presets didn't  ...

Hi, with the Osmo  turned off, use your hand to turn the yaw axis, do you feel any friction?
2016-9-28
Use props
breezeway95
lvl.3
Canada

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-9-29 03:22
Hi, with the Osmo  turned off, use your hand to turn the yaw axis, do you feel any friction?

All the gimbal axis are smooth including yaw. No hint of friction.

2016-9-29
Use props
dennish
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Bump - DJI?
2016-10-6
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

breezeway95 Posted at 2016-9-29 12:57
All the gimbal axis are smooth including yaw. No hint of friction.

Sorry about it, please email support.us@dji.com to send it in for an exchange
2016-10-8
Use props
di1337
New

United States

I have the same problem with the Osmo Mobile (same gimbal and app). I think there is a general issue with the hardware or software... check out my thread + video: forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=65790&page=1

Testing a competing product tomorrow, will post back about my experience.
2016-10-8
Use props
Rastus
lvl.1
Flight distance : 605210 ft
United States

I have the X3. It's always had this skipping effect. I sent it in to be repaired. DJI sent me a replacement. It has the same issue.
I want to like the Osmo but can't. In my opinion it's a novel but inferior product.
2016-10-9
Use props
michaelang
lvl.1

Singapore

Hi guys,

I had the same problem and it was evident in several phones that I tried. I did not notice any skipping physically on the OSMO mobile so I did some research. I found out that the skipping issue during panning is due to the graphic rendering capabilities of the phone capture while using higher resolution. It could not cope with the excess information it had to process during panning especially where there are lots of details. Try panning it in a less cluttered or places where there are less vertical lines. Or render the video at a lower resolution. I used using this using my GoPro attached to the mobile. It works fine. So i deduce that this is more of a phone issue rather than the gimbal.

2016-10-11
Use props
breezeway95
lvl.3
Canada

michaelang Posted at 2016-10-11 22:44
Hi guys,

I had the same problem and it was evident in several phones that I tried. I did not notice ...

I'm the original author. The youtube example link that I posted was transcoded directly from the Osmo+ camera card quicktime file and not the iPhone proxy that gets recorded via wifi.  Since the WiFi link notoriously drops out, I can see how the low-rez proxy records with skipping.

Now if the issue exists with the Osmo Mobile, that seems a more serious issue since the phone itself is recording the master hi-rez file.

That being said, I just returned from a trip to NYC and from what I can tell, did not experience any skips on the Osmo+ master camera card files.
2016-10-12
Use props
8Fifty Producti
lvl.1
United States

Same issue
2016-10-12
Use props
Nick Martin
lvl.2

United Kingdom

On my Osmo mobile I had a similar issue and that's using a Samsung s7 edge.

However after swapping out the SD card for a pro fast one, the issues solved. It's to do with how quick the phone can write / save data.
2016-10-12
Use props
HellFire77
lvl.3
Flight distance : 390863 ft
  • >>>
Canada

michaelang Posted at 2016-10-12 10:44
Hi guys,

I had the same problem and it was evident in several phones that I tried. I did not notice ...

When my skipping problem happened I noticed the OSMO+ physically skipping. I could see the camera stuttering as I panned the camera to the right.
2016-10-12
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

HellFire77 Posted at 2016-10-13 05:30
When my skipping problem happened I noticed the OSMO+ physically skipping. I could see the camera  ...

Hi, this is not normal, please email support.us@dji.com to send it in for an exchange. Thank you.
2016-10-13
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

michaelang Posted at 2016-10-12 10:44
Hi guys,

What phone are you using?  Does the stuttering happen only when you're shooting 4K?  Thank you.
2016-10-13
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

Rastus Posted at 2016-10-10 05:15
I have the X3. It's always had this skipping effect. I sent it in to be repaired. DJI sent me a repl ...

Can you show me a video, how severe the skipping is? Thank you.
2016-10-13
Use props
Bartone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 53458 ft

Just a guess, but I could see how this might be related to a compression issue - I'd be curious if it disappears at a lower res. Five bucks says it does...
BTW, my + has supposedly been shipped (so says the website), but there's no shipping number yet. Hoping for that later today...
2016-10-13
Use props
breezeway95
lvl.3
Canada

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-10-13 06:54
Can you show me a video, how severe the skipping is? Thank you.

Here's my example of the skipping issue.
2016-10-14
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

breezeway95 Posted at 2016-10-15 00:41
Here's my example of the skipping issue.
https://youtu.be/RckaaMXTDDE

This one is pretty severe, and needs to be sent back for an exchange, sorry about that.
2016-10-14
Use props
Supanovah
New

United States

Lee, you said on your return from your New York trip, that you did not experience any skipping. Did you find a resolution? I also have an OSMO+ and have been experiencing the same skipping issues when panning. I also thought the sd card may have been too slow, so I upgraded to the SanDisk Extreme 64GB microSDXC UHS-I Card (reads @ 90MB/s and writes @ 60MB/s) and I am still experiencing the skipping. Also, I wonder if the fact that the camera is writing so much data to the sd card AND the proxies to the phone (via wifi) simultaneously that it's causing this delay? So I wonder if turning off the proxy option will fix this? Lastly, I am recording at 1080P and not 4K, so I don't think the resolution is the issue. Let me know your thoughts Lee. Thanks
2017-2-22
Use props
breezeway95
lvl.3
Canada

Supanovah Posted at 2017-2-22 03:46
Lee, you said on your return from your New York trip, that you did not experience any skipping. Did you find a resolution? I also have an OSMO+ and have been experiencing the same skipping issues when panning. I also thought the sd card may have been too slow, so I upgraded to the SanDisk Extreme 64GB microSDXC UHS-I Card (reads @ 90MB/s and writes @ 60MB/s) and I am still experiencing the skipping. Also, I wonder if the fact that the camera is writing so much data to the sd card AND the proxies to the phone (via wifi) simultaneously that it's causing this delay? So I wonder if turning off the proxy option will fix this? Lastly, I am recording at 1080P and not 4K, so I don't think the resolution is the issue. Let me know your thoughts Lee. Thanks

I've used my Osmo+ several times since then in various temperatures and there has been little to no skipping.
I suspect that the skipping has a lot to do with leaving the exposure on automatic.  I purchased a ND16 filter pretty quickly and when outside I make sure to use the filter and change the exposure settings to either shutter priority using 1/60 or complete manual again with 1/60.  The general rule of thumb is to set your shutter at twice what your frames per second is set to which in my case is 30fps.  On a sunny day without the ND, the Osmo will tend to over expose since the combination of its highest shutter speed and lowest ISO is still letting too much light hit the sensor. I usually shoot with a resolution of 2.7K.
For the most part, I'm satisfied with the results I get with the Osmo+.  
2017-2-22
Use props
Supanovah
New

United States

Thanks for responding Lee. I never record with auto-exposure. I shoot in Manual ... typically ISO l00, 24 fps, 1/50 or ISO 100 60 fps, 1/120 (using the double the frame rate rule of thumb). Take a look at this test footage I shot downtown. Sun was setting so no ND filter was needed. I was doing a lot of panning/tilting and that's when I noticed the skipping/jerking issue. I need panning to be smooth!

By the way, is there a way to turn off proxy recording?
2017-2-22
Use props
Supanovah
New

United States

Ok to anyone who comes across this post, I found a solution that worked for me. I had my custom gimbal settings at "recommended settings" I got from a YouTube video. Well I believe that was the issue. If you use the Soft, Medium, or Fast gimbal settings it will do better. But so far, the best settings for me are the following:

Pan Speed 100
DeadBand  0
Accel  30

And I'm not sure if it helped or not, but I had disabled Video Caching when I shot my test footage. Hope this helps anyone running into this issue. Peace and God bless.
2017-2-23
Use props
Rastus
lvl.1
Flight distance : 605210 ft
United States

Supanovah Posted at 2017-2-23 17:36
Ok to anyone who comes across this post, I found a solution that worked for me. I had my custom gimbal settings at "recommended settings" I got from a YouTube video. Well I believe that was the issue. If you use the Soft, Medium, or Fast gimbal settings it will do better. But so far, the best settings for me are the following:

Pan Speed 100

Thanks for the info. I'll try it out. I had simply accepted that the Osmo was an inferior product. We'll see...
2017-2-24
Use props
Ranze
lvl.2

United States

Replying to Breezeway, since you have a brand new unit:

This is my problem with DJI. They DO NOT UNDERSTAND that one SHOULD NOT HAVE TO "PLAY WITH THE SETTINGS" when there's clearly something wrong, RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX. Or they make a suggestion, and then later on they contradict what they say. I've had my Osmo+ for only two weeks, and been back and forth with DJI and NOW GETTING IGNORED.  Be careful, because in the event they tell you to exchange your product, if they deem it's eligible, read the fine print of the return/exchange policy, they "may" exchange your NEW product as a "NON-NEW" Unit. I'm dealing with this now, they want me to send in my product and then they want to replace it with a non-new, I'm sure, second hand unit. Another representative was also trying to CHARGE me for the REFRESH Service to get it replaced.

Heres my situation: http://forum.dji.com/thread-85965-1-1.html

I feel like at this point, we need to start advocating against this company or start a group about this horrible customer service. Any thoughts?
2017-2-26
Use props
breezeway95
lvl.3
Canada

Supanovah Posted at 2017-2-23 17:36

Pan Speed 100

The skipping that is present in the original video that I posted as OP was taken the day that I received the Osmo+. Earlier that day I had been playing with the gimbal settings and had set a custom not thinking that straying away from the standards would potentially result in the skipping effect.
If one shoots outside on a sunny day without a ND filter, the resulting high shutter speed will also create the perception of a jittery panning effect however the issue is evenly present throughout the pan. The skipping issue is more of a stick and release problem repeating over and over.
I think you're correct that the skipping is a result of custom gimbal settings that the motors don't react well to.
2017-2-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules