Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Osmo Mobile noise from motors
16453 15 2016-9-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Marco Cantieni
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1630453 ft

I'm using the Osmo Mobile with an iPhone 6SPlus running IOS10.1 I have issues with loud noise picked from the gimbal motors. Please see this video.

This does happpen almost with every video I've shot. Sometimes the loud noise stops and the surounding sound of the scene comes though.  I have this issue with recording video with the DJI Go app, Filmic Pro and the Apple stock app. When I put my ear close to the motors I can hear the same sound but very very lightly. I would say normal. It take this the gimbal is working normally. For some reason the AGC of the iPhones mic is cranked up that amplyfies the motors noise so badly.

Another example

Does anybody have this issue?
2016-9-24
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Just to clarify, the gimbal is balanced, correct? Are you able to make any mic sensitivity adjustments on your iOS?
2016-9-24
Use props
Marco Cantieni
lvl.2
Germany

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-9-25 06:01
Just to clarify, the gimbal is balanced, correct? Are you able to make any mic sensitivity adjustmen ...

I have the ballanced the phone and calibrated the gimble on site. No effect. I still got videos that show this shivering. I haven't even walked. Just standing there holding the Osmo in my right hand. Yes I do shke but shouldn't the gimbal fully compensate for that?

2016-9-25
Use props
melchiorum
lvl.1

Lithuania

I have the same issue. Motors "hum" to the point that I can feel it with my hand. Not sure if that is normal or not.
I also have a weird motor "skipping" issue when panning faster, as if the motor would come to a sudden stop for a very brief moment. It's like a tiny "thud" that can be felt every time I stop panning abruptly or switch the panning direction.
2016-9-25
Use props
Marco Cantieni
lvl.2

melchiorum Posted at 2016-9-26 02:19
I have the same issue. Motors "hum" to the point that I can feel it with my hand. Not sure if that i ...

To come back to the nois issue. I was able to avoid this issue by using Filmic Pro and there disabling the AGC in the Audio settings. Simply leaving it disabled doesn't do the trick. I have to disable it, then enable it, then disabling it again.

Filmic Pro allows you to choose between three different microphone of my iPhone 6S Plus. All of then pick up this noise. I even wiped my phone entirely and tested the issue with a freshly installed phone just the DJI Go app and Filmic Pro installed. Same noise.

I'm going to perform further tests, maybe the fact that Filmic Pro is installed on my phone has something to do with it. I'll keep you posted.

I can't reproduce the issues melchiorum is describing with strong motor humming (directly hearable) and short pan stucks with my Osmo and my iPhone 6S Plus.  I only have noise from the constantly rotating motors in my recording.
2016-9-25
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

melchiorum Posted at 2016-9-25 14:19
I have the same issue. Motors "hum" to the point that I can feel it with my hand. Not sure if that i ...

Hi, would you please upgrade a video to show this? Thank you.
2016-9-26
Use props
LDYHRPsRBqDQ
New

Netherlands

Same problem here (https://youtu.be/P0CMXbmNOis).
I had a chat with DJI.com and showen the movie. They Rolf me it was mot normal and could send back the device for repair.
2016-10-5
Use props
Marco Cantieni
lvl.2

LDYHRPsRBqDQ Posted at 2016-10-6 04:34
Same problem here ().
I had a chat with DJI.com and showen the movie. Th ...

I've been advised to do so as well. I also have issues with vibrating footage using the Somo Mobile. Have sent the unit out for replace.
2016-10-11
Use props
StephanH
New

Germany

...I have the same issue!

Hello everybody,
I bought my Osmo Mobile 2 weeks ago and finally had time to test it in the last few days.
I also noticed the noise of the motors in quiet enviroments and the video recordings.

When I resume what you are writing here and in other threads this noise is not "normal", right?
What could I do...send it back, talk to the DJI service?

I made a little video. Same noise as Marco Cantieni posted:

Any tips?
Thanks guys

2016-10-28
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

StephanH Posted at 2016-10-29 07:58
...I have the same issue!

Hello everybody,

Basically you shouldn't hear any noise from your Osmo Mobile when it's operating, otherwise it's not normal and should be sent back.

Please go to www.dji.com/support if you believe that's the case. Thank you.
2016-10-28
Use props
StephanH
New

Germany

Ok, thanks Thor!

2016-10-29
Use props
fansa83b0cf3
New
United Kingdom

I have only just started using my osmo mobile and every video has the sound of the motors in the background which totally interferes with my recording! No matter how I adjust it or rebalance and calibrate the mix seems to have to be close to the arm to balance properly so picks up the vibration! I will try using a separate wired or wireless mic but with then have the issue that the iPhone 8 doesn’t have a mic socket so will have to plug in via the charge port thus pushing the phone out. Only was to deal with this is to ‘Health Robinson’ so extra weight to counterbalance it - all VERY unsatisfactory!
2017-10-29
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

fansa83b0cf3 Posted at 2017-10-29 07:02
I have only just started using my osmo mobile and every video has the sound of the motors in the background which totally interferes with my recording! No matter how I adjust it or rebalance and calibrate the mix seems to have to be close to the arm to balance properly so picks up the vibration! I will try using a separate wired or wireless mic but with then have the issue that the iPhone 8 doesn’t have a mic socket so will have to plug in via the charge port thus pushing the phone out. Only was to deal with this is to ‘Health Robinson’ so extra weight to counterbalance it - all VERY unsatisfactory!

We fully understand your frustration.
For Osmo Mobile, the most important thing is too balance the gimbal, while the mic inside iPhone is close to the gimbal motor, thus the slight noise may be recorded.
If you have a very loud motor sound in your footage, we suggest to send a piece of video to us for analysis, we will see if it is normal.
Thanks for your time.
2017-10-31
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I am not recording noise from the motor's on my iPhone SE.
Or at least, it is not enough for me to notice.

Now the iPhone SE is smaller, so the mic is further away from the motor.
2017-11-1
Use props
Michael.p
lvl.1

Greece

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-10-31 01:43
For Osmo Mobile, the most important thing is too balance the gimbal, while the mic inside iPhone is close to the gimbal motor, thus the slight noise may be recorded.
If you have a very loud motor sound in your footage, we suggest to send a piece of video to us for analysis, we will see if it is normal.

Same problem here. I have tried everything, especially balancing, but the noose is always there on my Osmo Mobile 3. Any suggestions other than balance?
2020-5-10
Use props
djiuser_XM9W0vozyp1K
New

United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-10-31 01:43

Hello Mindy. I just ordered an OSMO 3 and I am having the same issue with the very loud noise being picked up from my iPhone from the OSMO. How do I send a video to you? So far I am not happy with my purchase. Thanks. Jeff
2020-5-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules