Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Osmo Mobile vs. Osmo/Osmo+ - some thoughts
33952 30 2016-9-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Swiss Osmo
New

Switzerland

If you are thinking about buying an Osmo Mobile instead of an Osmo or the new Osmo+, you might want to consider the following points. I have used the Osmo Mobile for some days now and this is what I have noticed.

1. Stabilisation

Smooth shots, the very reason you want to invest in a gimbal, are possible with the Osmo Mobile with some practice, but only the Osmo allows to attach a Z-Axis stabiliser to reduce vertical movements even more for those truly cinematic camera movements. Alas, the Z-Axis stabiliser is not compatible with the Osmo Mobile.

2. Battery life

Very long videos (e.g. timelapse) are not possible with the Osmo Mobile. This is not the Osmo Mobile's fault, as its battery lasts for up to 4.5 hours, but because of the limited battery capacity of your phone. The Osmo and the Osmo+, however, can be connected to an external power source and just soldier on. Sure, you could use your charger for your phone or an external battery pack, but the cable might get in the way and since the weight of the cable also affects the gimbal, you would need to re-calibrate your gimbal. You would also need to find a way to attach an external battery someplace, so a roll of Gaffer tape might come in handy.

3. Seeing what's going on

With the Osmo Mobile, your mobile phone is both your camera and your screen - obviously. As long as you keep the gimbal right in front of your eyes, this is no problem. But for low or high shots, you can't really see what's going on (I can't, anyway). It only gets worse when attaching the Osmo Mobile to the extension rod. Fully extended, your Osmo Mobile, along with your phone, is about a Meter away from you and the screen won't necessarily point towards you. With the Osmo, you have no problem keeping an eye on the footage as the mobile phone may be attached to the grip in front of you and not a Meter away. This becomes even more of an issue when placing the Osmo at the tip of longer extension arms, such as a microphone boompole or on a mount such as the vehicle mount which may put your camera quite some distance away from you.

With the Osmo you can always see what the Osmo is seeing, plus, and this is a big plus, you are also able to steer it even from a great distance, right from the screen of your phone. This is not possible with the Osmo Mobile. You just push the record button and hope for the best.

4. External microphone

Your mobile phone's microphone quality is okay but for better sound you may want to use an external microphone. The original Osmo has got an external microphone input, the Osmo+ even comes with an extra microphone in the box, the Osmo Mobile has got neither. You need to attach an external microphone directly to your phone. The cable may limit gimbal movements and you also need to re-calibrate your Osmo Mobile. Cumbersome.

5. Price

Where I live, the Osmo Mobile is 339 Euros, the Osmo 659 Euros, the new Osmo+ 749 Euros. Is it worth it? Up to you, but I am seriously considering selling my Osmo Mobile and upgrading to an Osmo.

2016-9-25
Use props
ghoonk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 394626 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

Great tips, thanks!

I have an Osmo and Osmo Mobile and was considering the Osmo+ solely because I wanted to do longer timelapses which you rightly pointed out that the phone tends to run out of power (I'm talking 24 hour timelapses). The only thing holding me back from the Osmo+ is that it's not weathersealed, and I'm very concerned about dew/moisture on the electrical/mechanical bits. How did you circumvent the dew/moisture problem?
2016-9-25
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

ghoonk Posted at 2016-9-25 17:44
Great tips, thanks!

I have an Osmo and Osmo Mobile and was considering the Osmo+ solely because I w ...

You might have to solve it yourself by wrapping plastics covers around the Osmo+
2016-9-28
Use props
kkodalen159
lvl.4
Flight distance : 475850 ft
United States

While you bring up several good points one of the main selling points for me on the Osmo Mobile is the fact that your smart phone is the camera.  If you purchase an Osmo+ you have an incredible piece of equipment; however, it won't get better over time.  With the Mobile, every time I upgrade my phone I'm instantly upgrading my equipment at the same time (obviously only the camera).  We've come from basic flip phones to devices that can shoot 4K in a very small span of time, and I look forward to using my Osmo Mobile with newer devices in the years to come.
2016-9-29
Use props
kameit00
lvl.2
Flight distance : 456877 ft

kkodalen159 Posted at 2016-9-29 22:17
While you bring up several good points one of the main selling points for me on the Osmo Mobile is t ...

It looks like the Osmo has an exchangeable gimbal, the Osmo mobile has a fixed one. So you could upgrade to new DJI cameras later.

Though it might be easer to use newer phones with the Osmo mobile - provided the holder stays compatibel with new phone models.
2016-10-18
Use props
kkodalen159
lvl.4
Flight distance : 475850 ft

kameit00 Posted at 2016-10-19 15:42
It looks like the Osmo has an exchangeable gimbal, the Osmo mobile has a fixed one. So you could u ...

I didn't realize you could switch out the camera. Is it possible to buy just a new camera to add to your old gimbal,  just thinking for compatability reasons. I can't imagine that being cheaper than a new phone too, especially if you aren't planning on financing the entire cost of the phone before trading it in again. I think phones have found that sweet spot for a phablet where I don't see them getting bigger and I see the mobile being able to support all new devices in the near future. I see both sides but definitely favor the mobile still.
2016-10-19
Use props
kameit00
lvl.2
Flight distance : 456877 ft
Germany

To me it looks like you can only switch gimbals (with camera) not the camera alone. I am also deciding between the Osmo+ and the Mobile. I lean more towards the Osmo+ because of it's zoom camera. iPhone 7 plus (or another "hugephone" with zoom) is no option for be, due to it's size. I like smaller phones. And I don't like the idea to attach/detach my phone to the gimbal the whole time when I'm on vacation. I'm still waiting for more reviews on the Osmo+ before I'm going to buy one. But the price for the Mobile is more tempting. And as you said, you are likely to get a new phone regularly and could use it with the Mobile. Difficult decision
2016-10-20
Use props
fans261debb5
New

Ireland

Hi - Im sorry to ask such a dumb question but I am trying to buy the Osmo or Osmo+ for my partner as a gift and I am a little lost. Is there much of a difference in the Osmo and Osmo +? should i use the savings on accessories or go for the Osmo+?

thank you!!
2016-11-1
Use props
ari_za
lvl.2
Flight distance : 77300 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

Nice comparison review!
2016-11-2
Use props
Ey1990
lvl.2
Hong Kong

fans261debb5 Posted at 2016-11-2 00:25
Hi - Im sorry to ask such a dumb question but I am trying to buy the Osmo or Osmo+ for my partner as ...

the main difference between the osmo n osmo+ is that the osmo+ can zoom..and osmo+ can take motion timelapse while the osmo can only take timelapse
2016-11-2
Use props
ozione
lvl.2
Flight distance : 126857 ft
Slovenia

Ey1990 Posted at 2016-11-2 12:05
the main difference between the osmo n osmo+ is that the osmo+ can zoom..and osmo+ can take motion timelapse while the osmo can only take timelapse

just the info i needed. thanks.
i've been thinking about osmo also and strangely, no clear (official) comparison. strange.
2016-12-18
Use props
Migue_alex74
lvl.1
United States

Does the Osmo+ have Active tracking like the Osmo Mobile? I can't seem to find it specified in the docs.
2016-12-21
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Migue_alex74 Posted at 2016-12-22 05:10
Does the Osmo+ have Active tracking like the Osmo Mobile? I can't seem to find it specified in the docs.

No, it doesn't.
2016-12-21
Use props
Migue_alex74
lvl.1
United States

Thanks dji-thor
2016-12-22
Use props
fansc2272ea5
New

United States

Our real estate office is looking to get an osmo for home tours. We are really confused about which one to get- mobile, osmo or plus. Thoughts on this if it's mainly being used for cinematic home tours? Thanks!
2017-3-16
Use props
Barney2k
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Some great points!

The mobile is much better value imo if you already have a decent smartphone camera.

I've used it with my S7 Edge and had amazing results.

If you're looking to compare the whole Osmo range I thought this was a good resource:

https://www.heliguy.com/blog/201 ... o-comparison-guide/
2017-3-17
Use props
lvl.4
Flight distance : 69455 ft
United States

fansc2272ea5 Posted at 2017-3-16 11:47
Our real estate office is looking to get an osmo for home tours. We are really confused about which one to get- mobile, osmo or plus. Thoughts on this if it's mainly being used for cinematic home tours? Thanks!

I would get the Osmo+, here's why:

If your talking about a tour, presumably you will be walking, while the Osmo (of all flavors) is still very stable walking, you will get an up and down bouncing movement in your footage.  To fix this you use a Z axis, whcih basically gives you a steady cam, unfortunately the Osmo mobile is not compatible with the Z axis.

The Osmo+ has an optical zoom, while you may or may not find the zoom helpful in the traditional sense what it can also do is change the lense angle.  The lens on both the Osmo and Osmo+ is very wide angle because it was desighned for landscapes and other outdoor kinds of shots, however indoors, where your subject is closer, this can cause what your filming to look further away than it actually is.  You may or may not find that desirable, to fix it you just zoom in, which effectively narrows your field of view.

As mentioned you also get a few more features with the Osmo+ as well.

Footage on an Osmo or Osmo+ will probably look nicer too.
2017-3-17
Use props
fans43b961fc
lvl.1
Indonesia

RE: Osmo Mobile vs. Osmo/Osmo+ - some thoughts

Nice review. I have both Osmo and Osmo Mobile. I cannot use both  the same time and and the end of the day, it will depend on what occasion you are. If you are travelling light, having Osmo Mobile and your phone is an advantage. But to have serious filming you might need the Osmo/Osmo+. And yes, external microphone is an issue using Osmo Mobile as it will affect on the gimbal and need to adjust the position.
2017-4-28
Use props
jrm11
lvl.3
Flight distance : 224577 ft
United States

Some very good points in favor of the Osmo/Osmo+.

Do those units allow for shooting with different software? (I don't think so but honestly don't know.) With the Mobile, you can use third-party software such as Filmic Pro. This really opens up filming options. The latest version with a newer phone will even allow shooting in LOG. You can even use the native video recording app on the phone.

Shooting with a phone also opens up the possibility of different lens adaptors. Wide angle, zoom, anamorphic.

So the mobile offers much more flexibility in both hardware and software.

A phone, being connected to the internet, also makes it easier to stream or simply upload footage "on the go."

I was originally considering the Osmo+. In the end I decided I really didn't need yet another video camera. The Mobile was a good fit for me as it was an accessory for a camera I already owned.

Battery life on the phone is definitely the biggest drawback for me. However, that would also be an issue with the  Osmo/+ since that same phone would need to be used as a monitor.

Both items have their own advantages and disadvantages (beyond price). It is good that we have a choice.

2017-5-7
Use props
Judic
lvl.4
Ukraine

One more point is using lens filters, I have Osmo and use CPL filter. I see there are some clip-on filters for mobile devices, but I'm not sure about quality/usability of them. Anybody have an experience with? And can we use them with Osmo mobile, there are may be problems with proper camera balancing.
2017-9-15
Use props
dezign999
lvl.2
Flight distance : 27297 ft
United States

I was going to upgrade the camera on my original Osmo with an Osmo+'s X3-Zoom camera. After careful review and new mobile phones being capable of 4k @ 60fps, I decided to go with a Mobile instead. I do not regret my decision, and as others have pointed out, as my phone's camera gets better, so does my Osmo Mobile. If I need long time lapses, I can just plug in my Osmo's original camera. The down side, for me at least, is now having 2 carrying cases or a larger case to travel with both gimbals.
2017-9-15
Use props
endlesspt
New
Flight distance : 2349 ft
Vietnam

Didnt you know that you can get a zenmuse m1 to swap with the original osmo glimbal to work exactly like the osmo mobile?
2017-9-22
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

endlesspt Posted at 2017-9-22 02:34
Didnt you know that you can get a zenmuse m1 to swap with the original osmo glimbal to work exactly like the osmo mobile?

Is that a question or statement? Sorry that I'm confused.
2017-9-23
Use props
dezign999
lvl.2
Flight distance : 27297 ft
United States

endlesspt Posted at 2017-9-22 02:34

This is exactly what I did actually
2017-9-23
Use props
Emrah A
lvl.1
Turkey

I am also trying to decide to buy Osmo Mobile vs Osmo. I have DJI spark and LG G3 I had problems until I get iPhone. I was flying blind with Android. I am thinking to use my LG G3 with Osmo Mobile If I prefer Mobile but I am not sure about connection. Is there any problem you face with DJI Mobile and Android phones?
2017-11-11
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

1. I only have the Mobile, so I can't test the difference for you. I think you will also need to practice (a lot) with the Z-Axis stabilizer. These moves depend mostly on your body movements.

2. Depending on your Phone it is very well possible to attach a USB cable (and hook it up to a powerbank). Since the weight change is minimal and the motion is small in timelapses, the re balancing is not an issue. (just takes a a few seconds)
Also there are powered cases for some phones that give a lot more battery life.

3. True, but you will get better at this in time AND since your phone has a rather wide lens it is not very critical. I have not used an extension rod yet, but that might be more difficult indeed.

4. Depending on your phone there are easy and other options. My iPhone SE has no issues with a 3.5mm microphone. Most Rode microphones have a 90degrees plug. And you can also use wireless microphones here.

5. I bought mine for about € 260,- in a discount to start taking stable shots. It felt worth it, since I can try out if I have real use for this kind of shots and upgrade if needed.

Consider two more things:

1. In time you will probably upgrade your mobile and get a better camera. If it is not too big, it will still fit your Osmo Mobile.
So you essentially upgrade your Osmo Mobile without investing in a new one.
2. You can run 3rd party apps if you are on Osmo Mobile and I know iOS has very good ones that give a lot of flexibility (like raw shooting, flat profile, 25fps framerates, bulb ramping etc. etc.)

But if you are serious about these kind of shots, I would consider upgrading to a separate gimbal and a decent videocamera. That will give you much better picture quality (but also cost a bit more)
2017-11-11
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Emrah A Posted at 2017-11-11 08:17
I am also trying to decide to buy Osmo Mobile vs Osmo. I have DJI spark and LG G3 I had problems until I get iPhone. I was flying blind with Android. I am thinking to use my LG G3 with Osmo Mobile If I prefer Mobile but I am not sure about connection. Is there any problem you face with DJI Mobile and Android phones?

I have tested with Samsung and HTC.
No issues.
But I prefer the camera of my iPhone SE, so I'll stick with that.
2017-11-11
Use props
Emrah A
lvl.1
Turkey

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-11-11 11:35
I have tested with Samsung and HTC.
No issues.
But I prefer the camera of my iPhone SE, so I'll stick with that.

Thanks, I have bought and it arrived yesterday. It works well with LG G3 unlike drone. I lost connection two times  while trying but I am not sure If I made something incorrect or there is problem. Besides this I am happy with it.  
2017-11-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Emrah A Posted at 2017-11-15 21:07
Thanks, I have bought and it arrived yesterday. It works well with LG G3 unlike drone. I lost connection two times  while trying but I am not sure If I made something incorrect or there is problem. Besides this I am happy with it.

Good to hear!
2017-11-16
Use props
Tomazi
lvl.1

Serbia

Hello, i'm confused here and i need help.
I have regular OSMO with Zenmuse X3.When i attach Zenmuse X3 WHITE it also works fine,but, when i attach Zenmuse X3 ZOOM it doesn't work.
I can only move camera around with button and the DJI Go app receognize it as DJI OSMO not OSMO plus.Does Zenmuse X3 zoom uses another type of OSMO handle?

Thanks in advance
2019-3-28
Use props
Jorgito68
New

Argentina

Hello, I´m about to buy the OSMO Mobile 2 or the Osmo Plus. I´m going to use it with an Iphone to realize interviews and upload them to social medias.
If i´ll stick with the Mobile 2 it´s comfortable to add a pro microphone to it?
Which one do you consider that is best suited for the task?

Thanks in advance.
2019-7-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules