Battery & Auto Return Home
940 5 2016-9-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Heckler
lvl.1
Hong Kong

Hello everybody,
I had my first flight today with the Phantom 4 and 2 things surprised me.

• I have 3 batteries in total. 2 charge normally, but the the 3rd needs to be switched on. Otherwise the LED indicators won't turn on and I assume it's also not charging.
    Why is that? Anything I can/should do about it?
  • I pressed the auto return home button and the drone came back but it attempted to land several meters from where it took off. That doesn't sound like a lot but it could mean it's crashing into the sea, lake, tree etc. I watched it slowly descending but took over manual control when I noticed it would crash into the trees. I think the reason is that civilian GPS devices are only accurate within 10 meters. I actually knew about this before, but there was no mentioning of that in the manual. Instead the advertisement for the auto return home feature suggests that it's a carefree fully autonomous function and all you have to do is lean back and watch. The inaccuracy isn't DJI's fault, but as the Phantom series is a consumer/prosumer product, not everybody will know about the GPS inaccuracy or may not remember it like in my case. DJI should mention that in their manual.

I will be practicing more and am excited about this product.

2016-9-25
Use props
KensPhantom4
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hi Hekler I believe there is another option for go home positioning other than the GPS, which offers your controller the point of home return. Just make sure the sensors are on or it will land on our head! .  Can't help you about the battery.
2016-9-25
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

2.  RTH will usually put your Phantom within 2.5 metres of where it launched but occasionally this could be more due to the variable inaccuracy of consumer GPS.
BUT ... there is no need to sit back and let RTH auto-land your Phantom.
You can cancel RTh at any time and resume control.
Most pilots can choose a landing place better than blind programming.
2016-9-25
Use props
Hairy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5902 ft

Hi Heckler,

My first attempts at letting the RTH "land" the P4 didn't go to well. Being a RC pilot for 30+ years, I
was always too uncomfortable with how fast the decent was to not take over for a "smooth" landing. One day while at the local RC site I made myself allow the RTH to do it's thing...took 2 attempts! I had to MAKE myself let it happen the 2nd time. Yes, the decent was faster than I liked and I personally wouldn't have landed it that way, but it was safe and VERY efficient! It did give me confidence that in "the" situation that RTH brings the bird home, and you have things properly set in the multiple menus, it would/does work. X/Y RTH location was really close both times for civilian GPS.

Good work on figuring out a way to make your battery charge. It may help in characterizing it's behavior to the DJI techs and getting it repaired/updated or replaced.
2016-9-25
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
First Officer
Flight distance : 2075213 ft

Even while autolanding using RTH, you can use the right stick to change the landing spot while it is descending.
2016-9-25
Use props
Heckler
lvl.1
Hong Kong

Thanks for the reply guys, but I have a much bigger problem now.
The Phantom 4 itself. It's been obsoleted by DJI themselves with the new Mavic.

I try to get a full refund for it or an exchange.
Many Phantom 4 owners feel pissed about the Mavic's release so soon after the Phantom 4's release.
2016-9-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules