Inspire1 camera will lose focus when shooting under 0 degree
2897 9 2015-1-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJI-Julain
lvl.2

Hong Kong

When take images by Inspire1, Please pay attention to the Operating Temperature Range of Camere. Make sure we know these 2 points:

1, The available Operating Temperature Range of Inspire1 camera is 0°to 40 °C.
2, If you have ever shot under 0°it would make camera lose its focus. Have to preserve camera under room temperature more than 4 Hours to make it back to normal.

If lose fcous, it would be like:

without focus

without focus

2015-1-31
Use props
art
lvl.3
Flight distance : 170758 ft
  • >>>
United States

Guess I'm not bringing my Inspire1 to the Iditarod this year
2015-1-31
Use props
serge.email
lvl.2
Flight distance : 545043 ft
Switzerland

While I agree with you on the spec of min temp 0C, I have flown and shot video on several occasions in temperatures as cold as -5 to -10 with the Inspire 1 and it has worked just fine. I am not sure what the picture you posted is supposed to represent but too me it clearly shows water droplets on the lens/filter and obviously the camera is focusing on them rather than whats in the distance.

Best,
Serge
2015-1-31
Use props
jan.email
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3514751 ft
  • >>>
Denmark

I have use my Inspire1 last week in down to -20 degree and also low light condition, with out any problem on the Inspire. I discovered that my Ipad was the problem, about 12-14 min flight, the Ipad shut down, because of to low temperature. I still have flight control  on the controller, but no data and live picture. 10668796_993856267309659_1711088377756977143_o.jpg
2015-1-31
Use props
dandmpetro.emai
lvl.2

United States

It is focusing on the droplets of water.  To me its amazing the camera has such a close focal point.
2015-2-1
Use props
Dave E
lvl.4
Flight distance : 729560 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I thought that the camera was fixed focus. If it is auto focus can you change the focus point in the pilot app? I have been doing some tests since reading this and my camera doesn't seem to change focus.
2015-2-1
Use props
Dave E
lvl.4
Flight distance : 729560 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Further to my last post. I have just been on the chat line with a dji rep and it was confirmed that the camera is fixed focus. This would suggest that low temperatures changes the position of the lens in relation to the sensor probably due to temperature contraction. It is probably just a coincidence that the water droplets are in focus in the above shot. With a slightly different temperature something else would have been in focus The aperture changes but not the focus point. You can change the exposure point in the app and also fix it with AE lock but this does not affect the focus. The above could also be caused by a shallow depth of field resulting from a large aperture if the aperture cannot adjust due to temperature. Views from pro photographers would be appreciated on this one please.
2015-2-1
Use props
mike.flitelab
New

Canada

From my recent experience with the DJI Inspire one I found there is a focus issues. As I live in Canada, I've only flown it cold temperatures so I not sure if that is the issue. I've tested it on two different inspire 1's and got the same results. I found there is a out of focus point somewhere near the upper/middle part of the frame. The camera has a fixed focal length, fixed focus and the only real way you can adjust focus would be adjusting the aperture. A lower aperture affects your field of focus (Depth of Field), but on such a wide angle lens with the Inspire camera almost everything will be in focus at any aperture. I uploaded three full size sample images, all of the images are taken with the inspire and both have the problem with a out of focus area in the upper / middle part of the frame. If you look at the images at 100% 1/1 video you can check the critical focus. You will see the middle/upper part of the frame is soft but the edges are sharp. We tried it with and without the lens protectors and got the same results. So I has to be the lens on the camera or the sensor itself or because of the cold. All of the photos were taken on days of -10-15°C. I am hoping DJ I will recognize and fix this problem, as is this system is probably one of the best flying systems I have used to date. Its compact, agile, good flight times, reasonable camera quality, dual operator and HD downlink.   Not bad for $3000 bucks.  Just need to get the camera issue fixed.

Centre building out of focus

Centre building out of focus

middle out of focus

middle out of focus

middle trees out of focus

middle trees out of focus

2015-2-12
Use props
gb.pr-film-co
New

Germany

It´s impressive that you saw anything in focus at all. Usually a massive temperature change will cause condensation inside the lens. You can avoid this by gradually sinking the temperature down to where you intend to operate. For example store your camera in the garage before you shoot- dont go straight from the living room outside. BTW having so much condensation inside it isn´t all that good for the camera.
2015-3-5
Use props
Wildcat Willie
lvl.3

Canada

I have been taking pics and video in -5 to -10C with no problems at all...
2015-3-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules