Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI Osmo Mobile Roll Motor Overheating
16827 20 2016-9-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ayrshireuav
lvl.4
Flight distance : 957297 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ive had my Osmo Mobile since launch, up till now everything has been fine.  I own and use both the original Osmo and the Osmo Pro with the X5.  Im confident in using it and I know how to set it up properly.  Ive never really encountered any real issues and any ive found were rectified quickly by me.  However, the Roll Motor on my new Osmo Mobile is overheating on every use.  Its warm, bordering on hot, even when just turned on and without having any inputs made.  Has anyone else encountered this problem?  DJI, is this something i should be concerned about?  

I was using an Iphone 6 plus and now using an Iphone 7 plus.  There is only about 12-15g of a difference in weight.  I rebalanced the gimbal when I replaced the phone.

2016-9-26
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hello sir, you could try to rotate it when osmo mobile is off and check whether it is smoothly. If everything is fine, please do not worry about it. It's normal to feel warm.
2016-9-26
Use props
garethajames4
New

United Kingdom

I have also noticed this with mine. I have received balanced mine to make sure. The roll motor is getting very hot even after only a few minutes use. Slightly worrying. I am using the Samsung Galaxy S7.
2016-10-14
Use props
user0ff92bb254
New

United States

I noticed mine also got hot last night. I recalibrated this morning and testing, however my iPhone 7 plus got warmed after using it for 5 minutes. Have someone experience this
2016-10-31
Use props
Tpolk
lvl.1
United States

user0ff92bb254 Posted at 2016-10-31 10:19
I noticed mine also got hot last night. I recalibrated this morning and testing, however my iPhone 7 plus got warmed after using it for 5 minutes. Have someone experience this

yes with iphone 6s Plus
2016-12-19
Use props
Tpolk
lvl.1
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2016-9-26 23:27
Hello sir, you could try to rotate it when osmo mobile is off and check whether it is smoothly. If everything is fine, please do not worry about it. It's normal to feel warm.

Fine are you sure? This evening I chat with dji support and they asked had I sent it in for repair. I'm going to exchange it tomorrow. That will be my third. I return the first one not for over heating but for not connecting. Now the second one is overheating.
2016-12-19
Use props
JohnPaine
lvl.1

United States

I have a new Osmo Mobile and have two issues. First, I am using an Android phone (Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge +) and it got extremely hot when I put it in the Osmo Mobile. Has anyone figured out why this happens or how to correct it?

Secondly, the thumb screw on the extension arm is completely seized. I have not tried pliers yet, but cannot loosen this screw manually. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
2017-1-27
Use props
fans9145bdb0
lvl.2
Flight distance : 409557 ft
Australia

I was having the same problem with my OSMO Mobile using the iPhone 7plus.  I'm convinced that the large size of the iPhone 7plus requires balancing at the far right extreme of movement within the mount.  If it's out by even a fraction (1-2mm) the roll motor overheats as it has to work constantly to keep the iPhone horizontal. When putting the iPhone onto the OSMO push the iPhone as far to the right as it will go before tightening the rear clamp knob. Once the iPhone is mounted adjust the adjustable balance arm by pulling it as far right as it will extend before tightening the lock screw/knob.
2017-2-7
Use props
DXB-DENIS
lvl.1

United Arab Emirates

DJI Natalia Posted at 2016-9-26 20:27

Dear Natalia, my Osmo stopped moving smoothly in Roll Motor section.
Everything was working perfectly, but suddenly Osmo stopped moving properly and I felt that it`s overheating as well. When I turned off the Osmo, I tried to rotate it and there was a feeling like some sand got inside the roll motor.

Any advice how to fix it?
Thank you!
2017-2-26
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

DXB-DENIS Posted at 2017-2-26 08:42
Dear Natalia, my Osmo stopped moving smoothly in Roll Motor section.
Everything was working perfectly, but suddenly Osmo stopped moving properly and I felt that it`s overheating as well. When I turned off the Osmo, I tried to rotate it and there was a feeling like some sand got inside the roll motor.

So it was working properly before, but not any more?

According to your description, you'll need to send it back to us for inspection. Sorry about the inconvenience.
2017-2-26
Use props
DXB-DENIS
lvl.1

United Arab Emirates

DJI-Thor Posted at 2017-2-26 20:31
So it was working properly before, but not any more?

According to your description, you'll need to send it back to us for inspection. Sorry about the inconvenience.

Yes, it was working very well before...

Can you please guide me how I can send it back for inspection?

Thank you.
2017-2-28
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

DXB-DENIS Posted at 2017-2-28 05:36
Yes, it was working very well before...

Can you please guide me how I can send it back for inspection?

Yes, please find online chat on www.dji.com/support and follow instructions to send it in.
2017-2-28
Use props
y7pKPS08mkp0
lvl.1
United States

I had the same overheating issue with my iPhone 7 plus which also had a wide angle clip on lens. I added three 1/4 ounce weights (21 grams) to the opposite side as counterweight.  and it works like a charm. I used weights meant to keep auto wheels balanced.
2017-7-23
Use props
DrewSta
lvl.1
Flight distance : 249 ft
United States

Same issue.
iPhone 7 Plus
20 minutes
Disconnect and overheat
Total fail
Couldn’t recharge efficiently

Not a good maiden voyage.
2017-9-27
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

y7pKPS08mkp0 Posted at 2017-7-23 10:40
I had the same overheating issue with my iPhone 7 plus which also had a wide angle clip on lens. I added three 1/4 ounce weights (21 grams) to the opposite side as counterweight.  and it works like a charm. I used weights meant to keep auto wheels balanced. [view_image]

Did you solve the problem? Overheating may caused by the imbalance of your gimbal. Please try another mobile device and see if it can work well.
2017-9-27
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

DrewSta Posted at 2017-9-27 01:39
Same issue.
iPhone 7 Plus
20 minutes

In this case, can you balance your mobile when the osmo mobile turn off. Please keep it balance and then turn on the osmo mobile. Also what is the light of the indicator?
Any error message from your app?
2017-9-27
Use props
CQCQCQDX
lvl.1
United States

i had the same issue with my osmo mobile when i added a moment lens and case. It can balanced but the motor is trying hard just to balance it until it gets hot and disconnect. My solution is like the above image, but i used six $1 coin, of course its a total of $6 heheh, bonded together and used a velcro to attached in the same position in the above image. Paint it with black and it looks great. Now by heating issue is gone and i can now use my moment wide lens and my iphone 8 on a case.
2018-1-25
Use props
Macreo
lvl.2

Canada

2018-2-14
Use props
nicholaswhj
lvl.1
Thailand

Previously i use with Note 5, no problem, today i use with Note 8, heats up within 5 minutes. very very hot.
2018-5-7
Use props
fansdc5f24bd
New

Bought the Osmo Mobile 3 - was super excited to use. Everything worked fine until 5 mins in, when I got a temperature alert from my iPhone X. Thought maybe it was because I was outside.
After cooling down recorded some spots in
my A/C Room and 7 mins later got the same temperature from my alert. Didn't panic at first, as I thought it was user error. 2 days later my best friend and professional photographer used my Osmo and also experienced the same thing and confirmed this was an issue he had just been hearing. What do i do now? I'm a few days from my 14 day return period.
2019-9-9
Use props
fans266a7149
lvl.1
Flight distance : 158829 ft

I have an iPhone 6 and can't play with the Osmo 3 for more than 10 minutes without getting a overheating warning from my phone.  I also find the gestures to work about 25% of the time.  Love the folding idea but not if it makes the device unusable.
2019-9-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules