sudden, almost jerky movements in yaw while doing POI recording
754 9 2016-9-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
cameracollector
lvl.4
Flight distance : 807133 ft
Canada

I tried out my POI for the first time yesterday. This is an awesome feature as it lets me adjust the distance and/or height from the POI and/or tilt the gimbal while not having to worry about manually operating the yaw to keep the subject in the middle of the frame.

My only complaint is, after watching the finished product, is the occasional sudden yaw adjustment it makes every few seconds while circling, some more pronounced than others.

I did a quite wide circle, over 50 meters and it was quite pronounced in a couple of spots. I have follow turned on, so I'm thinking that given the wide circle I was doing the yaw movement should have been pretty well impercepible to the viewer.

Here is the video I did, in the original footage I had it traveling at 1M/second, but in post I sped it up a bit to shorten it. The sudden movements are in the original footage as well.

2016-9-27
Use props
lethal
Second Officer
Flight distance : 71096 ft
Australia

Love the vid - great work!. As a novice and will happily stand corrected but there appears to be some stronger wind gusts - particularly around the 1:35 mark - could this have affected it?
2016-9-27
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

I also noted the wind gusts, but in the main I could not see any jerky movements at all. It could be your computer's playback.
2016-9-27
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi, could you please upload the original footage to dropbox and send me the link?
I'll help to check it.
BTW, when doing POI, the gimbal will adjust itself automatically. So the footage might be not smooth enough.
2016-9-27
Use props
JWC P4
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8176 ft
South Africa

Seems a little windy....
2016-9-28
Use props
cameracollector
lvl.4
Canada

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-9-28 00:38
Hi, could you please upload the original footage to dropbox and send me the link?
I'll help to chec ...

Looking at the original footage again it is definitely not as pronounced as the rendered & accelerated version, but still there.  It was breezy so I'm not sure how much of a factor that was, I will try it again on a calm day and compare.

I am uploading the original file to my public dropbox now, the link is here, and times that stand out to me are
1:10
3:33
4:54
5:06
5:29

There are a couple of more, but I was pressed for time when watching it again so I just posted the more obvious ones.

The file is uploading now, probably won' be complete for a couple of hours yet - I am at GMT-7 and it's 09:20 right now.

2016-9-28
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

cameracollector Posted at 2016-9-28 23:19
Looking at the original footage again it is definitely not as pronounced as the rendered & accelera ...

Sorry, it's an empty folder in your link.
Could you please upload it again?
2016-9-28
Use props
cameracollector
lvl.4
Canada

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-9-28 19:55
Sorry, it's an empty folder in your link.
Could you please upload it again?

It's there now.
2016-9-29
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
Second Officer
Flight distance : 324442 ft
United Kingdom

It doesn't look smooth throughout, I have found that very slow POI don't always work very well, I guess something to do with GPS accuracy, especially with a little wind. It looks worse when you speed up the footage, if you had done it at say 3 or 4 m/s it would probably look much better.
2016-9-29
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

I would agree with Matt-and-Riley that increasing the POI speed to compensate with the wind would have helped in this case. The scenery is quite lovely, it would be nice to see more.
2016-9-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules