Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
SMOKE came out from GIMBAL
4441 13 2016-9-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
keongwee85
lvl.3
Flight distance : 331391 ft
Malaysia

I own a P3P, after the drone send in for warranty claim on the crack motor arm. receive back and flew for 2 flights with no problem.

Then suddenly yesterday when i want to fly again, like normal,
1.) i switch on the RC
2.) then when i was switching on the drone, SMOKE start coming out from the GIMBAL
3.) i off the drone immediately as am afraid it will cause further damage to the drone. (and did not have time to take any photo or video)
4.) now am afraid to turn the drone back on.

I have also emailed to DJI support, and they respond by asking me to send the drone over to DJI for them to check. However, my last email to them to enquire that what could have possible happened and what causes this, and is my drone still under warranty (i bought it late april to now september is only 5 months). From there on i have not receive any reply from DJI.

Any of you guys have this issue ?

Regards,
KW
2016-9-29
Use props
Toorboy
Captain
Flight distance : 657382 ft
United Kingdom

hi keongwee85 i knew a local Pilot he tried to insert the sd card
into the gimbal when the phantom was switched on & a puff of smoke
came out the gimbal & he had to send it back to the retailer
2016-9-29
Use props
keongwee85
lvl.3
Malaysia

the micro sd card is already inside the gimbal
2016-9-29
Use props
roymoon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 143901 ft
United States

Once the smoke has been released it's over.
2016-9-29
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

That is strange as I have never seen anything like like that unless the gimbal has been damaged from a crash.
In the app do you get a gimbal overload warning?
2016-9-29
Use props
TechReviews
lvl.4
Flight distance : 99852 ft
United Kingdom

roymoon Posted at 2016-9-29 19:00
Once the smoke has been released it's over.

so if i have read/understood this correctly you turn the AC on, then smoke started coming out from the gimbal, then you turned  of the AC immediately ?  

Which part of the gimbal did the smoke come from ? Did the smoke smell of anything ? eg burning smell ?

Without more info/physically checking the AC for the issue,not much can be done i'm afraid

Dji would be purely guessing as to what the issue could be/is without actually having the AC sent in to be inspected and diagnosed hence why Dji has asked for the AC to be sent in.

2016-9-29
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

The cause would be speculative without having it evaluated by a repair technician. For better follow up, could you please provide your ticket number?
2016-9-29
Use props
keongwee85
lvl.3
Malaysia

DJI-Ken, i did not have time to open the app, as i always first on the RC then drone then follow by the app. thus before i manage to on it with the app, smoke have been coming out from the gimbal.
and i did not crash the drone, i think DJI can inspect from the synced flight log.

TechReview, yes you are correct once i on the drone, smoke came out of the gimbal nearly immediately, once i saw it, i switched the drone off immediately. i dare not switch it on again to see where exactly the smoke come out from. the smell is like some microchip got burnt (but cant be sure)

DJI-Jamie, Alice from DJI jus replied my email and she says my drone needs to be sent in to be diagnosed. One of my question is, I have definitely not crashed not my drone, however this scenario happened, and since it is still within warranty period. It should be repaired under warranty. My only worried is that i didnt crash my drone but after DJI diagnosed, it says it is from a crash. Then will the flight log be sufficient to justify it is not crashed ?

BTW my ticket number is CAS-269035-W3J0X8

Thanks very much guys,
KW
2016-9-30
Use props
Focusian
lvl.3
Flight distance : 155443 ft
Thailand

Is it possible the smoke from camera's fan ?.
2016-9-30
Use props
mfojas430
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23835 ft
United States

There are multiple possibilities to what could have caused the smoke. Best bet is to send it in and have it repaired. It's not doing you any good right now anyway.
2016-9-30
Use props
keongwee85
lvl.3
Malaysia

Yea am waiting for quotation from Alice of DJI on the shipment cost if I were to send through DJI dealer.

Besides that, it's also on the warranty claim . And yes got to agree that it is doing me no good if I leave the drone as it is.
2016-9-30
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Sorry to read about your drone, and hope once it has been received by DJI, that turn around time is short.
It's unfortunate for you to have this occurrence and we hope it's a rare one, if totally uncommon experience.
As it's not something I have read about recently, we must concur of it being completely random.

Best wishes and good luck in the future. Sadly bad things happen to good people. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2016-9-30
Use props
keongwee85
lvl.3
Malaysia

hopefully it is covered under warranty.
2016-10-1
Use props
keongwee85
lvl.3
Malaysia

hopefully it is still cover under warranty ...
2016-10-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules