5186 15 2016-9-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
lukas3
lvl.2
Flight distance : 577543 ft
Czechia

Hello,
I just created side by side video: comparison of Osmo Mobile with Samsung Galaxy S7 and Osmo (X3). On Galaxy S7 was used built-in camera app from Samsung (so HW buttons on Osmo were not working) because of missing support of 4K on Android.

Downsized to fit 2x 1080 pixels video in 4K footage:

Cropped to fit original 4K footage quality:

2016-9-29
Use props
omriamos
lvl.1

Israel

I'm struggling to choose between the two options, Osmo(+) vs Osmo mobile with my S7e.
Do you have any notes about this? Which option do you prefer? any important pros/cons I should know about between the two?

Thanks!
2016-9-30
Use props
apkhou
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3802 ft
United States

The S7 video looks better - warmer.. - but OSMO is a little bit more stabler compared to mobile
2016-9-30
Use props
omriamos
lvl.1

Israel

Is it true that you can't have the Z-AXIS addon with the osmo mobile?
2016-10-1
Use props
lukas3
lvl.2
Czechia

apkhou: S7 looks warmer? This depends of course on color settings. Osmo was set to default. You can choose Vivid or anything else if you prefer more colored footage.

omriamos: I prefer Osmo original (don't have Osmo+ so I cannot compare) instead of Osmo Mobile. It has better stabilisation, wider lens... And you cannot use Z-AXIS. Osmo Mobile is NOT detachable from the handle. You cannot use 60fps or 4K (on Android) when using DJI GO app. When using built-in camera app of mobile, the HW buttons on handle are NOT working. DJI promise they will fix missing 4K and 60fps settings, but how can I sell unfinished product?!
2016-10-3
Use props
omriamos
lvl.1

Israel

The problem is that with the osmo there are many reported issues as well - most popular and critical is the audio sync problems that causes it to produce completely unacceptable results.

It is also very "complicated" to setup - you have to turn it on, wait for it to start up, then open the wifi settings and connect to it, then open the app, and only after all this, assuming everything worked with no problems, you can actually start recording.. With the osmo mobile (or any other mobile gimbal) you can just turn on the gimbal, start the phone camera and start recording.
2016-10-3
Use props
LukasBlecha
lvl.2
Czechia

I have never had any problem with audio sync. And setup does not seems complicated to me. It is just for the first setup (connect wifi, open app...). When shooting and turn to stand-by mode, it stops everything except wifi which is still connected, so no need to reconnecting for the next movie. So turning on for shooting takes only let's say 5-10 seconds.
2016-10-3
Use props
LukasBlecha
lvl.2
Czechia

omriamos Posted at 2016-10-1 17:02
Is it true that you can't have the Z-AXIS addon with the osmo mobile?

Yes. You cannot unplug gimbal from handle of Osmo Mobile like on standard Osmo.
2016-10-17
Use props
bleyten
lvl.2

omriamos Posted at 2016-10-3 06:50
The problem is that with the osmo there are many reported issues as well - most popular and critical ...

I agree. When comparing the setup times between Osmo and Osmo Mobile there is no comparison. I had the original Osmo and ended up selling it for a variety of reasons (poor support, hideous battery life, etc.). Battery runs down very quickly with the original Osmo and phone as well so its necessary to power it off between clips during shooting. To power it back up consumes a chunk of battery life and you have to wait for WiFi to reconnect etc. With the Osmo Mobile it literally takes 2 seconds to turn on and off between shots, double tap the home button to turn on the phone camera and just slide the Osmo power button on and it instantly stabilizes... done and ready to shoot.

For comparison in battery life... I could barely get 20 minutes of shooting time with the original Osmo. In contrast, I just got back from Hawaii where I hiked into the mountains with the Osmo Mobile (video coming soon) and I used it on and off for 10 hours with one Osmo battery and with my Note 7 (save your exploding phone comments, I already returned it) in airplane mode with the default camera app and the phone still had 20% after shooting more than 40gigs of 4K video footage (mostly in <20 second clips), no BS!! To turn it on and off when wanting to capture a clip was almost instantaneous! With the Mobile I had zero time charging or changing batteries. If I had taken the original Osmo I would have needed dozens of batteries and my phone continually plugged into my external battery pack to capture the footage I did and waiting for the original Osmo to turn back on every time I wanted to capture a clip would have been painful.

Version depends on the persons use. I am a casual shooter so the Mobile is perfect for me. For more professional use the other Osmos may be better suited.
2016-10-17
Use props
LukasBlecha
lvl.2
Czechia

Bleyten: Using stand-by you don't have to wait for wifi connection. It is still connected to the phone and consumpt very low energy. You definitely don't need to turn off whole Osmo between clips. I have 3 batteries for Osmo so problem with energy is minimal for me. I returned Osmo Mobile back to the store. It is unfinished product with no 60fps support on both platforms and even missing 4K support on Android. Btw, Osmo Mobile has less efficiency in stabilisation, if you can see in my comparison.

Quality of footage is definitely better with Osmo then with any other mobile phone these days. Quality 4K in 60 Mbps bitrate, wider angle, better stabilisation, better quality selfie shooting (instead of poor front facing camera of mobile). As bleyten already said - it depends on the persons use.
2016-10-21
Use props
RegDawg
lvl.3
Flight distance : 54091 ft
United States

I'm considering the Mobile however in my situation, it my not work out too well. I have a Note 5 with no built in microSD. So if I used the mobile my phone storage would fill up quickly. With the Osmo (I have original) at least it uses an SD card.

The Osmo has great footage quality but the 2 things that annoy having to put it all together just to shoot and sort of fragile. I have a gopro that I can just throw into my bag and take it out quickly to shoot. I'm scared to just throw my Osmo into my bag as it can get damaged.
2016-10-21
Use props
LukasBlecha
lvl.2
Czechia

RegDawg: You CANNOT use SD storage while using DJI Go app on Osmo Mobile. DJI simply don't take care of Android users, there is no settings to set storage to external SD card. This cause impossibility to use DJI GO app while using Osmo Mobile. On the other hand, when using stock camera app of Samsung - hw buttons on Osmo are not working. Btw. I usually throw my Osmo into the bag... There is cap lens and gimbal is locked. No problem.
2016-10-22
Use props
LukasBlecha
lvl.2
Czechia

Update: After DJI app update now saving to SD card and 4K support is available. Although, 60 fps is still missing.
2016-11-28
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

LukasBlecha Posted at 2016-11-28 21:38
Update: After DJI app update now saving to SD card and 4K support is available. Although, 60 fps is  ...

You can use the gimbal buttons to control native camera apps now.
2016-11-30
Use props
LKabilyo
lvl.1
United States

Is there a way to zoom using the mobile version?
I'm on the fence about getting the Osmo+ (but I've read about the shortcomings) and the Osmo Mobile.  I have an iPhone 6 now, but have been considering switching to the Galaxy S7 if anything, for the camera alone.
2017-3-21
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

LKabilyo Posted at 2017-3-21 07:42
Is there a way to zoom using the mobile version?
I'm on the fence about getting the Osmo+ (but I've read about the shortcomings) and the Osmo Mobile.  I have an iPhone 6 now, but have been considering switching to the Galaxy S7 if anything, for the camera alone.

No, it can't zoom.  

It would be a good idea to use S7 over iphone 6
2017-3-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules