Mavic Phone Compatibility
291337 291337 2016-9-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Thomas Schembri
lvl.1

Malta

I am looking forwad to buy a Mavic but I am still unsure if it will work with my phone which is a Samsung Galaxy J5 running Android 5.1.1. Is the Mavic Compatibile with that phone by using the DJI GO 4 App?
2017-2-16
Use props
RearViewMirror
lvl.3
United States

Reading through this entire thread it seems that (correct me if I'm wrong) that iOS seems to be the preferred OS for DJI. I understand that there are many people out there that much prefer Android  based systems and I get that. I'm glad that I'm running a iPhone 7 Plus as it (so far) has worked flawlessly. That said, everything I own is Apple products from a MacBook Pro, two iPad Minis, and four iPhones. It just works without any of the frustration of having to wonder if "my" particular phone will work. I'm also running a slim case on my phone that fits the Mavic controller perfectly with no chance of falling out. I wish you guys the best with figuring out if your device is supported. If you finally get to frustrated then switch to a iPhone and that will alleviate any issues you may be having. I understand that may not be feasible for most but it does work.

2017-2-16
Use props
Anoniem
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70043 ft
Netherlands

Thomas Schembri Posted at 2017-2-16 05:41
I am looking forwad to buy a Mavic but I am still unsure if it will work with my phone which is a Samsung Galaxy J5 running Android 5.1.1. Is the Mavic Compatibile with that phone by using the DJI GO 4 App?

Not only look at android version but check for ROM and RAM memory. Just google your phone to see if it's compatible. So far my Honor x2 is ok.
2017-2-16
Use props
Thomas Schembri
lvl.1

Malta

The phone has a RAM of 1.5GB and a total memory space of 8GB but looking at my phone settings its showing that only 495MB of free space is left. do you think it will work ok?
2017-2-16
Use props
QuantX
lvl.2
Flight distance : 356542 ft
United States

RearViewMirror Posted at 2017-2-16 06:45
Reading through this entire thread it seems that (correct me if I'm wrong) that iOS seems to be the preferred OS for DJI. I understand that there are many people out there that much prefer Android  based systems and I get that. I'm glad that I'm running a iPhone 7 Plus as it (so far) has worked flawlessly. That said, everything I own is Apple products from a MacBook Pro, two iPad Minis, and four iPhones. It just works without any of the frustration of having to wonder if "my" particular phone will work. I'm also running a slim case on my phone that fits the Mavic controller perfectly with no chance of falling out. I wish you guys the best with figuring out if your device is supported. If you finally get to frustrated then switch to a iPhone and that will alleviate any issues you may be having. I understand that may not be feasible for most but it does work.

[view_image]

Are the apple tablets (mini 2 and mini 4) having just as good of luck as the iphone?
2017-2-16
Use props
dronesnz64
lvl.2
Flight distance : 101332 ft
New Zealand

kit_nz Posted at 2017-2-2 17:14
Hi there, I'm having constant issues with my Mavic Pro and the DJI GO4 app on my Nexus 6P (stock un-rooted 7.1.1). The issues are:
- The app FC's around 50% of the time I use it, usually 5+ minutes into the session. The app will always try to restart, then crashes again. A full close will allow me to reconnect to the drone about 50% of the time. The rest I just have to fly it home by eye.
- It says I have magnetic interference about 30% of the time, even when I'm miles away from any dwelling, power supply or even metallic objects

Yep, running a 6P and I have issues flying too with infrequent disconnects. I tend to find that Greenifying and then flying in flight mode tends to help
2017-2-16
Use props
fans42dbbe26
lvl.1
Flight distance : 6624 ft
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-3 19:37
Are you able to try one of the DJI recommended devices and see if you still see disconnects ?

Just because we can muster the money to buy a mavic doesn't mean that we can just go pick up a $600-$1000 phone at a whim. This drone is expensive and made by a very wealthy company. Why is it so much to ask for an app that works correctly? It seems like a very small demand considering how much of a profit DJI makes. I haven't recieved mine yet but after all these app issues I'm reading about, I am very seriously considering returning it once I recieve it. I have a Note 5, but am eligable for an upgrade, my Note 5 isn't even on the compatibility list, and seems like any other phone my carrier offers other than the iPhone is going to work. I will return the drone if it comes down to buying an iPhone.
2017-2-25
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

fans42dbbe26 Posted at 2017-2-25 16:55
Just because we can muster the money to buy a mavic doesn't mean that we can just go pick up a $600-$1000 phone at a whim. This drone is expensive and made by a very wealthy company. Why is it so much to ask for an app that works correctly? It seems like a very small demand considering how much of a profit DJI makes. I haven't recieved mine yet but after all these app issues I'm reading about, I am very seriously considering returning it once I recieve it. I have a Note 5, but am eligable for an upgrade, my Note 5 isn't even on the compatibility list, and seems like any other phone my carrier offers other than the iPhone is going to work. I will return the drone if it comes down to buying an iPhone.

I am using approved devices and not having any issues.
The GO app takes a lot of processing power to operate, that is why they have the recommended device list. Other devices may fully work, or partially work.

I will report your device if when you get the Mavic and the app crashes.
Provide this info and I will forward your info on.
What were you doing when it crashed (flying, adjusting settings, etc)?
What aircraft model and firmware version?
What device are you using, and it's firmware version?
What GO app version?
Your DJI account email?
Feel free to PM if you do not want to post your email.
2017-2-27
Use props
Kalibr
lvl.3
Flight distance : 59416 ft
United States

fans42dbbe26 Posted at 2017-2-25 16:55

When I decided to buy my Mavic, I figured I can use my one-year old LG V10 since it had top specs and was running Android 6.0. Unfortunately, the DJI GO 4 app would crash repeatedly while the Mavic was in the air. On several occasions, it caused an aircraft disconnect which triggered a RTH. Luckily, I never lost the Mavic or crashed it, but I was becoming apprehensive to flying it. I read a lot of forums and watched a lot of Youtube videos where the consensus seemed to be that iOS was the preferred device with the least amount of app issues. I certainly did not want to buy a new phone just to fly my drone, so I decided to purchase an iPad Mini 4 for $300. I have never experienced another issue. It works great and I have a much bigger screen as a bonus.

My point is you don't need to spend $600-$1,000 for a new device. There are other options. The Mavic is definitely worth it.
2017-2-27
Use props
ngvuanh
lvl.3
Flight distance : 159820 ft
United States

I am using xperia xz with Nougat with no problems.
2017-2-27
Use props
JohnMcL7
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15295 ft
United Kingdom

Kalibr Posted at 2017-2-27 11:41
When I decided to buy my Mavic, I figured I can use my one-year old LG V10 since it had top specs and was running Android 6.0. Unfortunately, the DJI GO 4 app would crash repeatedly while the Mavic was in the air. On several occasions, it caused an aircraft disconnect which triggered a RTH. Luckily, I never lost the Mavic or crashed it, but I was becoming apprehensive to flying it. I read a lot of forums and watched a lot of Youtube videos where the consensus seemed to be that iOS was the preferred device with the least amount of app issues. I certainly did not want to buy a new phone just to fly my drone, so I decided to purchase an iPad Mini 4 for $300. I have never experienced another issue. It works great and I have a much bigger screen as a bonus.

My point is you don't need to spend $600-$1,000 for a new device. There are other options. The Mavic is definitely worth it.

Thanks for your post, I had the Go4 app crash on me then hardlock the phone entirely this afternoon so had to land the drone visually which was unsettling.   I'm really not a fan of Apple products and have no need for another tablet plus I was concerned people were exaggerating the benefits of an Apple product (which I find is very common with Apple products) but there seems to be quite a few Android users who've had to switch to Apple for their Mavics and found them better.

I wasn't using a device from the compatibility list (a Sony Z Ultra, same hardware as a Note 3) because my Galaxy Note 4 which is on the compatibility list doesn't work at all with Go4, each time I tried it on test flights it hard crashed entirely so I didn't try it any further.  The Sony's performance has been much better in general with only the odd crash but this is the first time it's behaved so badly it's put the drone at risk.

John
2017-2-27
Use props
fans42dbbe26
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-2-27 07:11
I am using approved devices and not having any issues.
The GO app takes a lot of processing power to operate, that is why they have the recommended device list. Other devices may fully work, or partially work.

I've had my mavic for a couple of days now, and have not had a single proof with my note 5 and the go 4 app. I want to try my wife's lg v20 when i get the chance, but so far 7 successful flights with my note 5.
2017-3-2
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

fans42dbbe26 Posted at 2017-3-2 09:07
I've had my mavic for a couple of days now, and have not had a single proof with my note 5 and the go 4 app. I want to try my wife's lg v20 when i get the chance, but so far 7 successful flights with my note 5.

That's great, thanks for posting.
2017-3-2
Use props
fans42dbbe26
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-3-2 09:51
That's great, thanks for posting.

No problem, I tried my wife's LG V20 today and also had no problems with simple flight in standard mode or in sport mode. I did not have a lot of time to try any of the other features, I will update when I have more time
2017-3-2
Use props
Thomas Schembri
lvl.1

Malta

Can someone please tell me If does a Samsung Galaxy J5 running android version 5.1.1 with 1.5GB Ram will work properly running the DJI Go 4 app?
2017-3-4
Use props
CTKgolfboy
lvl.1
Flight distance : 555801 ft
United States

LG V20 nothing but problems. How about that update.
2017-3-4
Use props
Silverado101980
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5858166 ft
United States

Droid Turbo 2 was running on marshmallow and the DJI GO 4 app ran perfect now same phone 2 weeks later running Android 7 and the latest DJI GO 4 APP and crashes constantly says weak GPS signal when trying to home point the controller I could go on and on sucks I'm almost about to buy the litchi app and be done but also hear 3rd party will void the warranty
2017-3-12
Use props
noipego
lvl.3
Greece

hey all...can someone plz confirm that samsung s7 edge and huawei mate 8 are working with mavic & rc ? thank you
2017-3-18
Use props
chalde
Second Officer
Flight distance : 668314 ft
  • >>>
United States

noipego Posted at 2017-3-18 05:01
hey all...can someone plz confirm that samsung s7 edge and huawei mate 8 are working with mavic & rc ? thank you

Your Samsung S7 Edge will most likely get DJI Go 4 App to crash if it's using Nougat OS (Android 7).
On MM, it will be fine.
2017-3-18
Use props
fans64792ee7
New
France

Hey,
Do you know if the samsung galaxy A5 2017 is compatible with the mavic ?
Thanks
2017-3-20
Use props
JZdrone
New
Poland

fans42dbbe26 Posted at 2017-3-2 09:07

I had my Xiaomi Redmi Note 2 crash after a few successful flights so you never know.. -phone just turned off while Mavic was in the air. Pretty scarry, it finally turned back on but I definitely can't ever take that risk again.
But the DJI list is not exactly inviting either - phones are either expensive (iPhone 6 plus) or some too old to trust - like Samsung NOTE3. - I don't take into consideration any phone with a screen smaller than 5.5

Has anyone had any success with a phone around 200-300USD that is also a decent phone overall? Or any from the DJI list around that price that you would recommend as a good phone?
2017-3-20
Use props
telis
New

Germany

fans64792ee7 Posted at 2017-3-20 11:34
Hey,
Do you know if the samsung galaxy A5 2017 is compatible with the mavic ?
Thanks

fans64792ee7,

Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 works fine
2017-3-22
Use props
borse2008
lvl.2
United States

I got a usb type c to microusb in the box with mine!
2017-3-22
Use props
Jinjur
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Hey all.....brandy....spanky new owner here and have found this to be a perfect use for my old HTC One M7 that went faulty (no GSM cell signal)

I am a bit OCD with my gadgets so it is immaculate and fits perfectly in the remote, the only addition I had to make was to purchase the reverse USB connection which made it perfect.

p.s. looking forward to more activity here when i finally get brave enough to take the Mavic out

Andy
2017-3-22
Use props
fans5ced2850
New

United States

I have a Samsung S3 running android 4.4.2. Higher than the required 4.1.2. It does not work. The video graphics do not update fast enough. I usually have half a screen of the video. If I use my wife's S5 it works fine. So, the spec of android 4.1.2 or higher is not a good spec.
2017-3-26
Use props
fans5f39f270
New
United States

I've had quite the nightmare trying to find a compatible device and felt it needed to be shared here.  I wanted a bigger screen than my phone screen, which I can hardly see at times, but which otherwise functions great (Galaxy S5).  This visual issue, to me,  means I can barely function at times.  So I determined to get a tablet and thought that size of fitting into the slots on the controller was enough to be concerned with.  I was wrong.  I had no idea that Mavic's compatibility issues would be so horrible, let alone that there even were compatibility issues.  I first tried it in my wife's Galaxy tablet S2 SM-T710.  Everything worked great.  She first offered to let me use hers but I didn't want to because I intend to be using my Mavic hard in the field and didn't want to risk messing hers up.   So I went out and bought a Samsung Tab A.  I loaded the software and once connected up, all it would do is flash repeatedly the message about making this the default connection.  It would flash non-stop.  I read the forums, tried everything contained in them and nothing worked.  So I had to take it back.  Then I started shopping for my wife's SM-T710 and in the midst of doing so, discovered that they had improved it and that the newer model was SM-T713.  I set about to find the best way to get one and ended up getting one far away at a different Best Buy.  I got it home, set it up, loaded the software, hooked it up and it began flashing the same message the same way as the Tab A had.  I plugged in the SM-T710 and it still works great.  I am infuriated but hope that someone can benefit from reading this.  My wife is so shocked by all this that she isn't even willing to take over the 713 and let me have the 710, fearing that these may all be inferior machines because they can't run the DJI software.  NO, it isn't that the machines are inferior, I'm really starting to fear that the Mavic Pro and its software are.
2017-4-1
Use props
Dangerousdaveki
lvl.2
Flight distance : 177841 ft
  • >>>
United States

CTKgolfboy Posted at 2017-3-4 11:07
LG V20 nothing but problems. How about that update.

Dido,  Nothing but porblems with my LG V20.
2017-4-2
Use props
CuaC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 369626 ft
Germany

I had my first issue with the S7 the other day, the controller would kept disconnecting from the phone and won't connect back at all sometimes. It turned out to be a lot of dirt inside my phone's usb port. Just took all the crap away carefully with a toothbrush and now the USB fits properly so no disconnections anymore!
2017-4-2
Use props
fans99722f7f
New
Taiwan

Just bought the Mavic and the Fly Longer kit. My HTC 9+ isn't compatible. My Nexus 9  IS compatible AND it's on the COMPATIBLE list. But....it's too big too connect to the controller. Why would they put the Nexus 9 on the approved list...when it can't be used in conjunction with the controller?

So now I've got a 1500usd (roughly) kit of equipment.....that I can't use for anything. Great.

What's the cheapest 2nd hand phone that runs smoothly with this thing?
2017-4-3
Use props
BlackDwarf
lvl.1
Netherlands

Been using my Galaxy S7 Edge on 7.0 with no issues. My Google Pixel which is on the 7.1.2 beta crashes before the app opens, but as it's beta I'm not surprised.
2017-4-3
Use props
Nifty
lvl.2
Flight distance : 80138 ft
United States

fans99722f7f Posted at 2017-4-3 05:02
Just bought the Mavic and the Fly Longer kit. My HTC 9+ isn't compatible. My Nexus 9  IS compatible AND it's on the COMPATIBLE list. But....it's too big too connect to the controller. Why would they put the Nexus 9 on the approved list...when it can't be used in conjunction with the controller?

So now I've got a 1500usd (roughly) kit of equipment.....that I can't use for anything. Great.

iPod touch might be a good solution for you and the starting price is $199 for a 16GB model
2017-5-12
Use props
Defination
lvl.1
Flight distance : 49508 ft
Greece

Two days ago i bought MAVIC PRO Combo , i had check on forum and some people had issues ans some not at all with S7 edge.
My mobile is  Samsung S7 edge on 7.0 , couldn't even make  the DJI Go 4 App run.  
Also i didn't notice this: *Support for additional Android devices available as testing and development continues. on recommended devices.
After checking - asking on forums i got lot of helpful answers and  realize  that an iOS device is on way to not have issues for me (didn't have another mobile or tablet as the recommended devices)  , so i use my S7 edge as hotspot and bought an iPad mini 4 wi-fi ( i could afford to buy it ) and today had no issues at all.

18424600_10211989699274017_504152861_n.jpg
2017-5-12
Use props
patman89
lvl.4
Flight distance : 288327 ft
Germany

My XIAOMI Redmi Note 2 is not compatible! With DJI GO v4.0.5 everything was fine, but every further update crashes immediatly!

But why isn't it compatible? 1,5Ghz Octa-Core-Processor, 2GB RAM, 32GB memory with arount 28GB free. Android 5. No other apps installed except DJI Go, no tasks running in the background. This device matches all requirements and is on par with most of the supported devices. I have tried many things but I don't get the latest version working. The app looses connection to the RC and then crashes.
2017-5-12
Use props
dennyc
lvl.1
Flight distance : 17461 ft
United States

Kalibr Posted at 2017-2-27 11:41

Does the iPad MINI 4 fit in the controller or do you have to have an adapter to use it?
2017-5-12
Use props
fans2371b212
New

Ireland

Hi I have a iPhone 7 and can't seem to be able to connect my phone with the controller. It say discounted any idea what this could be.
2017-5-12
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

dennyc Posted at 2017-5-12 11:42
Does the iPad MINI 4 fit in the controller or do you have to have an adapter to use it?

Denny,

I don't use an adapter.

First remove the left side main cable from the wing slot.
Second, slide the left corner first, extend the right corner all the way to the right and then slide it in place and adjust. The start button should be on the right side.

Have fun!

2017-5-12
Use props
dennyc
lvl.1
Flight distance : 17461 ft
United States

I've been using a spare phone (galaxy s5) for the controller but have had a couple times when it says it disconnected from the aircraft.  Not sure if that is the phone but that is a little dodgy.  I think I may actually get an iPad mini to use for the mavic.  Not a big apple fan (they are just too "12 year old teenage girl" for me... LOL) but if it means keeping my mav connected and safe I'll do it.  

(don't get mad about the apple comment... I had 2 phones for awhile, work and personal, and always had 1 iPhone and 1 Android....  I just prefer android)
2017-5-12
Use props
MikeTG
New

United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-26 18:51
There's a few that IOS has that Android does not
But there's also some features that Android has that IOS does not.
I wrote down some of them as I was testing both devices, so I can tell you that info tomorrow.

Hi DJI-Ken. I have two ipads mini with 9.3.5 IOS and I'm wondering if there is another version DJI GO that will work with them.
2017-5-13
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

MikeTG Posted at 2017-5-13 01:01
Hi DJI-Ken. I have two ipads mini with 9.3.5 IOS and I'm wondering if there is another version DJI GO that will work with them.

You need at least a Mini 2.
2017-5-15
Use props
user5b4feed68f
lvl.2
Flight distance : 149885 ft
United States

Buizerd Posted at 2017-2-14 15:16
I tried the Galaxy S4 and it works, but only barely so. The video feed has an 0.5-1.0 sec delay and lots of artifacts/blurring. I would not recommend flying it with the S4.

The S6 works like a charm.

Turn off the GPS and video cacheing. It'll work  like a charm.
2017-5-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules