12Next >
7100 74 2016-9-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
wmcvey
Second Officer
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

Never did this myself until just recently, and I will say that all four props from DJI (stock ones) where all off a bit.
Then after doing the balancing it seemed to just purr at idle, sounded much smoother and quieter.
Single SelectVote, Total 204 people participate in voting
14.71% (30)
16.18% (33)
69.12% (141)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2016-9-30
Use props
jamesazen
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15262 ft

I've been looking at prop balancing kits, which do you use and how difficult is it to do?
2016-9-30
Use props
wmcvey
Second Officer
United States

jamesazen Posted at 2016-9-30 16:13
I've been looking at prop balancing kits, which do you use and how difficult is it to do?

Here's the one I have: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/prod ... 1_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Here another was thinking about getting: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/prod ... ;smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
It's simple as pie. You can either sand the heavier side or add tape to the lighter side.
2016-9-30
Use props
jamesazen
lvl.3

Thanks wmcvey! That 1st one is what I'd been looking at - and now, have just purchased

I have a load of damaged props I don't use, maybe good for an art project, a few sets that are pristine and 2 sets still in the packaging from DJI, it'll be interesting to see the difference.
2016-9-30
Use props
bob37
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260384 ft

I have the Du-Bro (2nd link wmcey listed) and it is easy to set up and use.  Of the eight props, 2 were perfect, 5 needed little strips of electrical tape and one need grinding off some of the hub to perfectly balance.  It took perhaps 30 minutes and will not be done again (what cold change).  
2016-9-30
Use props
wmcvey
Second Officer
United States

jamesazen Posted at 2016-9-30 17:05
Thanks wmcvey! That 1st one is what I'd been looking at - and now, have just purchased

I have a  ...

Just make sure your table is level as can be, even if you have to shim with a business card.
2016-9-30
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

I use the DuBro and balance every new prop. So far I don't get any vibration in the air at all.
2016-9-30
Use props
CabinPete
lvl.3
Flight distance : 98 ft
United States

bob37 Posted at 2016-9-30 17:07
I have the Du-Bro (2nd link wmcey listed) and it is easy to set up and use.  Of the eight props, 2 w ...

Just a suggestion, rather than add weight to a blade you can sand the tip of the heavy blade with fine sandpaper. You will have to remove very little to balance.
I would avoid, my opinion, grinding or removing material from the hub area. A fracture in that area can cause the blade to separate possibly causing severe damage to you and/or your drone.
2016-9-30
Use props
wmcvey
Second Officer
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-9-30 18:19
I use the DuBro and balance every new prop. So far I don't get any vibration in the air at all.

Almost got this one because it look as though the level of the table wouldn't be as important an issue, is that true?
2016-9-30
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

wmcvey Posted at 2016-10-1 10:44
Almost got this one because it look as though the level of the table wouldn't be as important an i ...

To be honest, I don't know, I use it on my workbench top which is pretty level anyway.
2016-9-30
Use props
jamesazen
lvl.3

Got one of these "Bullseye surface level" - $1.95, 1 1/2 inch

Bullseye surface level

Bullseye surface level
2016-9-30
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

I could but I don;t.. unless I notice vibrations, and a new set of props won't fix it, I'd not bother.. could I be wrong? SURE!
2016-9-30
Use props
bigglyguy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14196 ft
Malaysia

Add tape? Sounds clunky.

I saw a guy on Youtube, adding a dab of clear nail varnish to add weight, letting it dry then another coat until perfect balance was achieved. That strikes me as far more reliable and elegant than sticky tape on the props?

Bigs
2016-10-1
Use props
wmcvey
Second Officer
United States

Phantomski Posted at 2016-10-1 01:26
I could but I don;t.. unless I notice vibrations, and a new set of props won't fix it, I'd not bothe ...

Didn't think my props needed attention either, then I just decided one day to buy an inexpensive balancing tool and check the set I was using. They were all off to a small point and after adjusting them and reinstalling, on the very first test flight I immediately noticed the props sounded smoother and quieter. If my old ears can immediately notice a sound difference at idle that has to mean something.
2016-10-1
Use props
wmcvey
Second Officer
United States

bigglyguy Posted at 2016-10-1 08:03
Add tape? Sounds clunky.

I saw a guy on Youtube, adding a dab of clear nail varnish to add weight,  ...

As this was my very first try at balancing props I took the most easy path, using "scotch tape". It's clear and very thin, almost invisible on those white props. You're adding a piece (at least for me) that's so small, maybe 1/4 to 3/4 inch (1 to 2 cm). In my mind that's so small I don't see a negative with using it.
2016-10-1
Use props
imagesbyjas
lvl.4
Flight distance : 286198 ft
Netherlands

bigglyguy Posted at 2016-10-1 13:03
Add tape? Sounds clunky.

Not clunky at all.. increments are very small and becomes basically transparent when on.  Definite upside vs. accidentally taking too much off with sanding. :-)  Usually it doesn't take very much to get it balanced.  I try to keep the tape closer to the hub..  I have the Dubro 6mm which comes with a rod for both screw directions (clockwise and counter clockwise).  Works great.
2016-10-1
Use props
wmcvey
Second Officer
United States

imagesbyjas Posted at 2016-10-1 09:51
Not clunky at all.. increments are very small and becomes basically transparent when on.  Definite  ...

I'll ask you the same question I asked Geebax. Almost got this one because it look as though the level of the table wouldn't be as important an issue as it is with the one I have, is that true?
2016-10-1
Use props
CabinPete
lvl.3
Flight distance : 98 ft
United States

One like this https://www.hobbyzone.com/building-supplies/hand-tools/balancers/topq5700.html?gclid=CNqtqY77uc8CFQlahgodpGkGTg you just have to drill a hole through the top for the shaft.

If you really want to be serious, weigh each prop.
2016-10-1
Use props
ekcook
lvl.2
Flight distance : 553914 ft

The nail polish trick seems to work best for me.
2016-10-1
Use props
OrlyP
lvl.4
Flight distance : 36916 ft
Philippines

With the Du-Bro, the table doesn't have to be perfectly level.... Just enough so that the whole thing doesn't topple over. I'm very impressed with this product. It's very sensitive to the tiniest prop imbalance.
2016-10-1
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

A local Forum friend @Rigworker, kindly let me borrow his Dubro prop balancing set. It showed me that the DJI props are pretty accurately balanced right from factory.
I don't get vibrations or jello in my videos, so it has never been a major concern of mine.  But it was fun to check them over. Nothing wrong with being sure that your rotor blades are balanced.
This is a camera platform, after all. So ultimate stability and smooth steady flight is desired & required.

Waiting for the Sun to shine, so we can go flying together again. Hopefully before the North country is blanketed in white fluffy, cotton ball looking, winter garb. Hahaha

RedHotPoker

2016-10-2
Use props
imagesbyjas
lvl.4
Flight distance : 286198 ft
South Africa

wmcvey Posted at 2016-10-1 17:25
I'll ask you the same question I asked Geebax. Almost got this one because it look as though the l ...

I level mine, but not to the point of going crazy.  It really is the weight of the heavier side that tips the prop blade.  I found it worth the price.
2016-10-2
Use props
wmcvey
Second Officer
United States

imagesbyjas Posted at 2016-10-2 18:28
I level mine, but not to the point of going crazy.  It really is the weight of the heavier side th ...

Thanks for the reply. I thinking about returning my first one (just got it) and getting this one instead. The one I have now if the tabletop is not almost dead level the rod rolls to one side. I'm thinking this one won't be so sensitive to that issue.
2016-10-2
Use props
Maxi3D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

Does anyone know where I can order a balancing rod for P4 propellers? Thanks.
2016-10-3
Use props
wmcvey
Second Officer
United States

Maxi3D Posted at 2016-10-3 18:19
Does anyone know where I can order a balancing rod for P4 propellers? Thanks.

You will need this: https://www.amazon.com/Prop-Bala ... tom+4+prop+balancer
And a base of your choice. Like one of these: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/prod ... 1_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
or https://smile.amazon.com/gp/prod ... ;smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

2016-10-3
Use props
Maxi3D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

wmcvey Posted at 2016-10-3 18:44
You will need this: https://www.amazon.com/Prop-Bala ... tom+4+prop+balancer
And a base of your cho ...

Thanks Wmcvey for the information. I have a Dubro already and will just order the rod.
2016-10-4
Use props
jtpowell
New
Flight distance : 129226 ft
United States

Everyone is talking about balancing. Former heli flyers know tracking is the question you should asking about. Just because the blade is balanced in a vertical balancer does not mean it horizontally tracks true. You balancers have hopped on the wrong band wagon. Does it track true?
2016-10-4
Use props
ezdrew430
lvl.3
Flight distance : 195151 ft

United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-10-3 05:54
A local Forum friend @Rigworker, kindly let me borrow his Dubro prop balancing set. It showed me tha ...

Same here. It took 30 mph wind gusts to start to notice the slightest wiggle in my footage. I'm very impressed with the stability of my p4
2016-10-16
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Having a completely trouble free drone has been such a blessing too.
Every flight had been a pleasure and awesome fun memorable experience.

RedHotPoker
2016-10-16
Use props
kirk2579
Second Officer
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

jtpowell Posted at 2016-10-4 14:56
Everyone is talking about balancing. Former heli flyers know tracking is the question you should ask ...

not dismissing your point on tracking in any way!
BUT
I  would disagree that proper prop balance is "the wrong bandwagon"

as long time Phantom flyer I can assure a poorly balanced prop can cause many flight issues.
factory DJI props do seem pretty solid balance for the most part.

the off brand XOXO, and others found all over the internet are not so well balanced.
buy a set and fly without balancing for fun and see the difference your self as test.

good luck and have fun flying
2016-10-17
Use props
Rnfaust
lvl.4
Flight distance : 734938 ft

bigglyguy Posted at 2016-10-1 20:03
Add tape? Sounds clunky.

If it takes more than a sliver of tape on the underside of your prop or hub, your prop is really off balance. Save that one for last resort. I would say the best prop is usually the one that required the least fiddling with.
2016-10-17
Use props
Rnfaust
lvl.4
Flight distance : 734938 ft

jtpowell Posted at 2016-10-5 02:56
Everyone is talking about balancing. Former heli flyers know tracking is the question you should ask ...

Oh great - now I need a dial indicator too? I agree that might be a good test as well. A bad result would mean tossing the prop out.
But a balance problem is easily corrected and will stop the vibration that ruins video and stresses motor bearings.
2016-10-17
Use props
Dompie
lvl.2

Canada

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-10-3 05:54
A local Forum friend @Rigworker, kindly let me borrow his Dubro prop balancing set. It showed me tha ...

RedHotPoker,  where are you located in Canada ?
2016-10-17
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Dompie Posted at 2016-10-17 17:00
RedHotPoker,  where are you located in Canada ?

Central Alberta, in the capital city.. What about you?

RedHotPoker

2016-10-17
Use props
Dompie
lvl.2

Canada

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-10-18 08:52
Central Alberta, in the capital city.. What about you?

In PLaisance QC, in between Ottawa ON. and Montréal QC.
2016-10-17
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Dompie Posted at 2016-10-17 19:33
In PLaisance QC, in between Ottawa ON. and Montréal QC.

Quebec?? Gosh, I should have had you pick up my Plasticase Nanuk 945 case for me. Haha

Oh well, it's been ordered now, so just a couple more weeks of deliberation and anticipatory times...

RedHotPoker
2016-10-17
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

I replied with the above post yesterday, yet on the main page, it states the reply was only three hours ago?
What gives with the forum rotation?

RedHotPoker
2016-10-18
Use props
talk2t_c
lvl.4

France

This is the one I use - good price.  I use matt finish clear nail varnish to balance.  I've seen the videos of some using tape, sometimes what looks like gaffer tape. i think that would take away the aerodynamics of the prop.

https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product ... 0?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2016-10-18
Use props
Betamace
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2133 ft

bigglyguy Posted at 2016-10-1 20:03
Add tape? Sounds clunky.

That-s how I do mine except if the hub needs balanced, you might end up with a pea sized glob of varnish on the hub before it's balanced. On my hubs I use epoxy or CA.
2016-10-18
Use props
RC_Wolf
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1939 ft
Australia

It's a personal preference between the O.C.D. and the general enthusiast.  
If a prop is causing that much vibration, sure balance it, or use another.

2017-1-27
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules